GDT: 2020-21 IIHF WJC, Edmonton/Red Deer, Canada: 12/25/20 - 1/5/21

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I really hope that Byfield becomes a very good player. I don't want to be negative about him. Just that second overall pick comes with a lot of expectation since our last second overall was Doughty.

Really really really want him to become the player everyone wants him to be. There's just something about his game that rubs me the wrong way. Good to see Turcotte getting love.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
You could say the same for Byfield, he could've had a bigger role, but apparently seniority was what gave a lot of the ice time to 2019 draftees. Hopefully this motivates him to get better and to be the guy for Canada next year, if he's not in the NHL.

For sure. We all want all our prospects to succeed at the end of the day and be the player they're supposed to. That's one thing that optimists and pessimists have in common when it comes to draftees.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
tbZPntx.png

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Still, the point is, he's a dumb scapegoat.

Where's Cozens been this game? Same draft pedigree, a year earlier, wearing the C...getting absolutely caved in despite getting monster minutes.

Pick a player that's not Byfield and there are only 2-3 other Canadian forwards that aren't just straight getting trucked for the game. Sure, he hasn't scored--he's also at the very least advanced the play. Do we want more? f*** yeah. But if you're going to treat him like your 13th forward and still get better results than 10 other Fs, you can't just lay into his draft pedigree 'we wanted more from 2nd OA'....

Honestly, I couldn't care less what anybody else did. Don't really care too terribly much about the US winning either, though I happy it happened. I watched this tourney specifically to see how our prospects took up the challenge. Came away incredibly impressed with Turcotte, very impressed with Faber and Bjornfot, pleased with Simontaival, Kaliyev and to a degree Chromiak. Couldn't see much of Spence or Parik.

But Byfield? Sorry, he laid an egg. Didn't want to see it, hurts to admit, but he just didn't show up. We know its just a short tournament, not the be all or end all of anything, but you can only ever really judge people on what they do - not what they are supposed to do. Byfield looked far too comfortable in letting the game go on around him. Turcotte took it by the throat, he showed a desire to make a big difference.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Turcotte laid an egg last year and responded this year in an elevated role.

My big concern with Byfield is seeming content to be a passenger on stages like this and that's exactly what happened. He also dropped a six point game in the only game where he acted like he's supposed to try and score.

I'm not worried too much but I am very worried about his development this season. It's already been a lost one for the most part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad