GDT: 2020-21 IIHF WJC, Edmonton/Red Deer, Canada: 12/25/20 - 1/5/21

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
Maybe it’s wishful thinking but turcotte reminds me of butch goring the way he is all over the place and scoring/assist when you need it , when he is on the ice you are always on the edge of your seat whether it’s a hit , forechecking or in front of the net you get the feeling something good is about to happen

Reactions: funky

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
I know this sounds a little bit crazy but do I ever see a similarity between two of our prospects to two of our cup winning duos. Take this with a grain of salt, but I love the fact that we had two centers on one line to provide depth and extra protection in the dot with Richards and Carter.

Now look at the playing style of Turcotte versus Richards and the size and skills Byfield versus Carter.

yes there is differences between the players compared but there are a lot of similarities. I could see Turcotte and by field playing together very easily with their speed and skill. Turcotte is more a cerebral player that plays a very aggressive energy game at speed. By field has the tools, size, speed and skill to be a menace up and down the ice. Both look like they will have good two way games. The good thing is there are numerous different prospects that would mess with the two on the other wing. They could carry the defensive deficiency’s of Kaliyev or play a fast paced game with Fagemo , or play that in your face no holds bar game with an Iafallo

Would also love to see Kaliyev put in Browns spot for a bit. Take away his first three games when he was getting his lungs, legs, and hands back and watch them progress throughout the tournaments and play a heavy style game at times really impressed me. As the tournaments were on his defense of player got better. The kid seems to love hockey and love to practice and I truly believe that 1 year in a pro environment will really boost his game.

I can easily see either Faber or Bjornfot being a modern day Matias Nordstrom. Not quite as physical, more offense, but in the right place at the right time, able to get the puck out of the zone, And just a study rock for his defensive partner

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I know this sounds a little bit crazy but do I ever see a similarity between two of our prospects to two of our cup winning duos. Take this with a grain of salt, but I love the fact that we had two centers on one line to provide depth and extra protection in the dot with Richards and Carter.

Now look at the playing style of Turcotte versus Richards and the size and skills Byfield versus Carter.

yes there is differences between the players compared but there are a lot of similarities. I could see Turcotte and by field playing together very easily with their speed and skill. Turcotte is more a cerebral player that plays a very aggressive energy game at speed. By field has the tools, size, speed and skill to be a menace up and down the ice. Both look like they will have good two way games. The good thing is there are numerous different prospects that would mess with the two on the other wing. They could carry the defensive deficiency’s of Kaliyev or play a fast paced game with Fagemo , or play that in your face no holds bar game with an Iafallo

Would also love to see Kaliyev put in Browns spot for a bit. Take away his first three games when he was getting his lungs, legs, and hands back and watch them progress throughout the tournaments and play a heavy style game at times really impressed me. As the tournaments were on his defense of player got better. The kid seems to love hockey and love to practice and I truly believe that 1 year in a pro environment will really boost his game.

I can easily see either Faber or Bjornfot being a modern day Matias Nordstrom. Not quite as physical, more offense, but in the right place at the right time, able to get the puck out of the zone, And just a study rock for his defensive partner
If you have the next richards and carter, can kaliyev be the next dustin penner? Haha! Cant remember but penner was on that line for bit yea?

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA

That could be a good lineup...

Kempe--Vilardi--Chromiak
Kaliyev--Turcotte--Byfield
Kupari--Andersson--Fagemo
Wagner--Anderson-Dolan--Thomas
Madden, Simontaival

Bjornfot--Faber
Anderson--Spence
Hults--Grans
Nousiainen

Parik
Hrenak

Future looks bright. A lineup like this will never happen but you can see prospects who they match up well with.

Reactions: Faterson

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I see QB similar to Pierre Luc Dubois. It may take him reaching 22 years old to be a top line center. That’s 4 years from now. So having Vilardi and Turcotte as a 2 and 3 C behind Kopitar is sustainable. QB won’t be AHL eligible under normal rules for 2 years. In his rookie pro year, he can hopefully make the team out of camp as the 13th forward, with some AHL time.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I see QB similar to Pierre Luc Dubois. It may take him reaching 22 years old to be a top line center. That’s 4 years from now. So having Vilardi and Turcotte as a 2 and 3 C behind Kopitar is sustainable. QB won’t be AHL eligible under normal rules for 2 years. In his rookie pro year, he can hopefully make the team out of camp as the 13th forward, with some AHL time.

It's gonna get reaaaallllly ugly around here for a few years waiting for Byfield, but I agree. I think he compares favorably to PLD but also Wheeler and Byfuglien, guys who ended up in the NHL full time by 22, but didn't really get used to their bodies/strength for a full crazy breakout at 24-25.

I think Byfield is an NHLer full time by 20 and 'arrives' sooner, but I also won't be surprised if he's similar to Wheeler in really getting that body coordination/man strength combo down. But I think he's also favorably more skilled to make an impact earlier than both.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
It's gonna get reaaaallllly ugly around here for a few years waiting for Byfield, but I agree. I think he compares favorably to PLD but also Wheeler and Byfuglien, guys who ended up in the NHL full time by 22, but didn't really get used to their bodies/strength for a full crazy breakout at 24-25.

I think Byfield is an NHLer full time by 20 and 'arrives' sooner, but I also won't be surprised if he's similar to Wheeler in really getting that body coordination/man strength combo down. But I think he's also favorably more skilled to make an impact earlier than both.

I was on the Byfield train leading up to the draft but if that is going to be his timeline and the Kings knew that than they should have taken TS.

You seem to think that not only will he be back in juniors this season, but possibly next too? That would be a little disappointing for a team that should be hoping to get back to contending while Kopitar and Doughty still have some good years left.

Reactions: ibleedkings

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
I was on the Byfield train leading up to the draft but if that is going to be his timeline and the Kings knew that than they should have taken TS.

You seem to think that not only will he be back in juniors this season, but possibly next too? That would be a little disappointing for a team that should be hoping to get back to contending while Kopitar and Doughty still have some good years left.

I dont think there’s a chance he goes back to junior next year. Things will accelerate once he has some time with Kings training staff.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca

I don’t think it’s that bad because the Kings will still have Vilardi and Turcotte. If Byfield was their only blue chip forward prospect then yes they should’ve gone with Stutzle if Byfield would take 2-3 years to be 100% potential. Or you already have nhl experience with Vilardi and Turcotte as centers and then in steps a 21-22 year old Byfield taking over Kopitars 1c

I think Byfield will be like Scheifele, take some time to reach full potential.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
If you have the next richards and carter, can kaliyev be the next dustin penner? Haha! Cant remember but penner was on that line for bit yea?
This never gets old.

PennerCakes.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad