2020/21 Fantasy Draft v2 (Bracket Style)

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
:sharks
Kyle Connor-Elias Pettersson-Josh Anderson
Zach Sanford-Tomas Hertl-Sam Reinhart
Miles Wood-Jared McCann-Dillon Dube
Noah Gregor-Lukas Wallmark-Liam Foudy

Vladislav Gavrikov-Brett Pesce
Will Butcher-Adam Larsson
Mario Ferraro-Dean Kukan

Semyon Varlamov
Martin Jones

L1: A-
L2: A-
L3: B+
L4: B+

D1: C
D2: B-
D3: B+

G: B

Overall: B+

Really like your offense. The top two lines have a couple great duos with some decent compliments in Anderson and Sanford. Bottom-6 has some nice role players and some young guys I like. Not much to not like here.

Top pair is pretty strong defensively but for a top pair we all know it is ugly. Not a fan of the 2nd pair players themselves but could fit decently together and you have a very nice under the radar bottom pair. Jones is icky but Varlamov as a decent starter should be passable behind a strong two-way team.

Best team I have graded so far and if there was a way to fix the top pair without damaging the rest too much it could be a real contender.

:wild
Oskar Lindblom-William Karlsson-Reilly Smith
Robby Fabbri-Christian Dvorak-Martin Necas
Sam Bennett-Derek Ryan-Brett Connolly
Matthieu Joseph-PE Bellemare-Dmytro Timashov

Roman Josi-John Marino
Matt Grzelcyk-Colton Parayko
Jake Bean-Jan Rutta

Andrei Vasilevskiy
Jake Oettinger

Hell yeah except sugar coat cause I can’t handle rejection from the great m0pe.

L1: C+
L2: C
L4: C+

D1: A-
D2: A-
D3: B-

G: A

Overall: B

Interesting team for sure. That top-6 lacks high end talent and will have real troubles providing good scoring for this team. Like the 3rd line and PEB at 4C but not sold on the 4th line wingers providing much.

Top-4 is obviously filthy with a top-2 D on the top pair, a top pair anchor on pair 2 and 2 other very good young D. I like Bean and his potential but Rutta isn't the ideal fit to round out the group imo but minor issue. Vasilevskiy behind them should make it almost impossible to score.

All D teams rarely work out and while I think this is a pretty darn good one that will win a lot of 2-1 games, it would also struggle to score enough to go deep.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
pls and thanks

:stars

Kevin Fiala - Pierre-Luc Dubois - Andrei Svechnikov
Victor Olofsson - Roope Hintz - Tyler Johnson
Andrew Cogliano - Radek Faksa - Blake Comeau
Nick Ritchie - Jason Dickinson - Derek Grant

Noah Hanifin - Alex Pietrangelo
Ryan Murray - Anton Stralman
Troy Stetcher - Evan Bouchard

Matt Murray
Matiss Kivlenieks

Cap Spent - $62.808M
Cap Space - $12.192M

L2: B-
L3: C+

D2: C
D3: B

G: C

Overall: B-

Tough one to evaluate as there are some parts I really like and some I really don't like. L1 would be crazy fun. L2 could be fun too, but Olofsson has yet to prove he is really strong outside of the powerplay and Johnson was just waived (not garbage but he still isn't an ideal top-6 player). L3 you built a solid defensive line that wouldn't produce much at all for a 3rd line...still a C+ is an impressive grade considering you filled out 2/3 in round 20.

I don't like Hanifin but a top-3 D like Pie can anchor that easily still. I think Stralman is on a steep decline and would need a lot better of a partner than Murray to carry him in a top-4 role. Murray is a huge question mark with his up and down play from year to year so would have like a better 1A/1B to platoon with him.

Should be a fun team and I could see others voting it highly and proving me wrong, but there are too many holes for me to think it is a real contender as is.

:caps

Brad Marchand - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Kyle Palmieri
Zach Parise - Eric Staal - Jaden Schwartz
Brendan Lemieux - Oskar Sundqvist - Kevin Stenlund
Kyle Clifford - Brad Richardson - Mattias Janmark

Miro Heiskanen - Damon Severson
Nikita Zadorov - David Savard
Erik Brannstrom - Justin Braun

Sergei Bobrovsky
Carter Hutton

Cap Spent - $70.265M
Cap Space - $4.735M

L1: B+
L3: C-

D1: B
D2: C+

G: C

Similar to your other team, some real nice parts and some really not so nice. Foward group is pretty good overall, 2nd line especially should produce great in a secondary role. I like Sundqvist on L3, but Lemieux isn't a guy I ideally like seeing here and Stenlund definitely isn't; feels like a weird mix overall to me.

Heiskanen is great but I am not totally sold with Severson next to him that top pair will be above average. Zadorov is a player I don't like and I think his brain lapses cancel out the nice defensive potential of this pair which would not bring much to the offensive end either. D3 I could see working well or bad depending on how ready Brannstrom proves to be and how much further Braun falls.

Bob again like Murray is just too much of a question mark for me to be paired with a really bad backup. Like your other team, if the goaltending holds up then the top-6 forwards have the potential to really make it good, but still just too many question marks for my liking.

Reactions: LT and hockeynorth

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Sure if you have the time, don't worry about it if there are too many

:leafs

Andre Burakovsky - Nathan MacKinnon - Anthony Mantha
Clayton Keller - Robert Thomas - Dustin Brown
Lawson Crouse - Carl Soderberg - Vinnie Hinostroza
Eric Robinson - Jason Spezza - Garnet Hathaway

Mikhail Sergachev - Charlie McAvoy
Ian Cole - Erik Gustafsson
Ben Hutton - Nick Holden

Carey Price
Cal Petersen

Cap Space: $6,120,002
Cap Hit: $68,879,998

L1: A
L2: B-

G: B+

Overall: B+

2nd best team in the game right here imo (Overall of A is reserved for the best team only).

Top line is filthy, bottom-6 is strong, crazy fun young top pair, solid bottom pair, nice goalie tandem. I just like all that so won't dive deeper into them specifically.

The two areas I don't love: 2nd line. A lot will depend on the development of Thomas here. I think Keller is a fun offensive 2nd liner, and Thomas has the potential to be a high end 2C...just not sure he will be that quite yet. Brown with his heavier game could be a nice fit but also not sure he will be able to keep up with these quicker, younger guys in a top-6 role. Not a bad 2nd line, just not one I like as much as the rest.

D2 is probably my least favourite part of the roster rather easily. Gustafsson is a fine 2nd pair offensive D but I am not as high on Cole as most which is the main reason. I think he is a decent defensive guy but I do feel he is more of a solid bottom pair option. I can see the fit between these 2, but I just think neither are good enough to really anchor this pairing and make it as good as others out there.

:pens

Artemi Panarin - Dylan Larkin - Tyler Toffoli
Tomas Tatar - Nick Suzuki - Connor Brown
Nick Cousins - Derek Stepan - Marcus Foligno
Jimmy Vesey - Nick Bjugstad - Trevor Moore

Morgan Rielly - Filip Hronek
Brayden McNabb - Justin Faulk
Mark Borowiecki - Justin Schultz

Ilya Samsonov
Jonathan Bernier

Cap Space: $1,954,644
Cap Hit: $73,045,356

L2: B
L3: A-

D1: B+

Overall: B

I was debating B+ overall but you stealing Larkin from me bumps it down. Again really like your L1 and L3 while thinking your 2nd line is more average to slightly below average. Depends how much Suzuki develops and if Brown could repeat close to last year production in this role. I think it works out decently still though. L4 I'm not a fan of. Not sure Bjugstad or Vesey bring much positive to the ice anymore or play a real role here.

Defensive pairings fit well together throughout. McNabb - Faulk is similar to your Toronto 2nd pair where I am just not loving any of the players and think it may be a passable fit, but not an ideal one with 2 lower end 2nd pair guys. Having 3 offensive oriented RHD also makes me question the special teams a bit like who is playing the powerplay (takes away some of the value that these guys do bring) and who is playing PK. I like Hronek especially, but Faulk and Schultz both feels a little too similar in role.

Samsonov and Bernier should make for a fairly solid tandem. Overall, I like the team and think it can do damage, but not to the extent of your other team.

Reactions: BeLeafing

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Should be fun.

Alrighty, last one (for now anyways).

:vegas

Marchessault ($5M)---Zibanejad ($5,350M)---E Lindholm ($4,850M)
Mi Granlund ($5,750M)---Monahan ($6,375M)—Oshie ($5,750M)
Ennis ($1M)---Steel ($863,333)---Compher ($3,500M)
Sörensen ($1,500M)---Glendening ($1,800M)---T Pitlick ($1,750M)

Fowler ($6,500M)---Carlo ($2,850M)
de Haan ($4,550M)---A Boqvist ($894,167)
Oesterle ($1,400M)---Miller ($3,850M)

Crawford ($3,900M)
Hogberg ($700,000)

L3: B-

D1: C-

Top-6 is crazy with the amount of offensive potential. However, the focus on that kinda reflects in the later grades. Line 3 has some offensive potential too, but just not sure it will be realized with it being a bit soft and lacking the true goal scoring ability to match the playmaking ability of the line. Not a big fan of Glendening or Sorenson although I like Pitlick so maybe he props them up a bit.

Top pair is definitely not an ideal. That has the look of a very strong 2nd pair. But Fowler being your top D man will lead to problems. Same with pair 2, where they be a terrific D3 pair but are probably above their heads with where they are now. I think they could gel well together but having Boqvist jump into the top-4 against harder competition with someone on the down swing might be an issue. Solid but unspectacular 3rd pair and goaltending.

This is really a question of can the top-6 outscore the problems of the top-4 D. I lean, no. Not enough to make it a true contender anyways. Really interested to hear what the restriction was (maybe I missed that already). Because for a restriction team, it definitely has interesting upside.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I just love this second line synergy though:
foegewa96

hugheja01

coylech92

it's just so complementary <3

Reactions: emptyNedder

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Alright y’all if anyone has a top pair LD and is willing to move him for a lesser LD+forward upgrades let me know

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Alrighty, last one (for now anyways).

L3: B-

D1: C-

Top-6 is crazy with the amount of offensive potential. However, the focus on that kinda reflects in the later grades. Line 3 has some offensive potential too, but just not sure it will be realized with it being a bit soft and lacking the true goal scoring ability to match the playmaking ability of the line. Not a big fan of Glendening or Sorenson although I like Pitlick so maybe he props them up a bit.

Top pair is definitely not an ideal. That has the look of a very strong 2nd pair. But Fowler being your top D man will lead to problems. Same with pair 2, where they be a terrific D3 pair but are probably above their heads with where they are now. I think they could gel well together but having Boqvist jump into the top-4 against harder competition with someone on the down swing might be an issue. Solid but unspectacular 3rd pair and goaltending.

This is really a question of can the top-6 outscore the problems of the top-4 D. I lean, no. Not enough to make it a true contender anyways. Really interested to hear what the restriction was (maybe I missed that already). Because for a restriction team, it definitely has interesting upside.

Thanks for the analysis. The restriction was <35PIM last season. I really enjoy the opportunity for back and forth--I may be unusual in my approach, but this process has been about making an "argument" around team chemistry.

L3--Ennis has been a 20-goal scorer 3 times in his career and was pacing for 19 goals last season. Steel led the WHL in 16/17 for goals per game played and was second among Canadians in goals in the WJC 20. So, it misses the mark to say L3 is "lacking true goal scoring." B+

D1--Agreed that this is not a wow pairing, but that is in a vacuum. With the combination of scoring/playmaking on the top two lines, Fowler will return to the assist numbers he had playing on good Anaheim teams (30,27,28). So he will provide enough offense. The remaining question: is Fowler good enough defensively? Playing with Carlo solidifies the pairing. But more than that having fully-engaged team D with both the top 2 lines is significant. As mentioned, all of the top 6 have received Selke votes at some point in their careers. Goals Against reflect team defense as much as quality of D pairings. In effect, the D-men won't be "on an island" as much as on other teams. Given the team makeup, the D1 is more B- than C-.

L4--Not sure Pitlick needs to prop up Glendenning who is near the top of the league in FO% and hits while being recognized with Selke votes. Plus the 4th line is where being disciplined pays off--many fourth lines end up giving the opponents a man advantage. This fourth line simply won't. A-

Goalies: Crawford was 6th (top 20%) of goalies for quality starts. In any series, he is an advantage. B+

Like any "GM," I wasn't able to get the player I would have hoped for in each round. But this team was built as a team that will score while making it hard on the opponents to score. It definitely could have had better individual D-men, but in context (forward engagement and Crawford's steadiness) this is not a team that will be easy to score upon.

Reactions: Paralyzer008

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Thanks for the analysis. The restriction was <35PIM last season. I really enjoy the opportunity for back and forth--I may be unusual in my approach, but this process has been about making an "argument" around team chemistry.

L3--Ennis has been a 20-goal scorer 3 times in his career and was pacing for 19 goals last season. Steel led the WHL in 16/17 for goals per game played and was second among Canadians in goals in the WJC 20. So, it misses the mark to say L3 is "lacking true goal scoring." B+

D1--Agreed that this is not a wow pairing, but that is in a vacuum. With the combination of scoring/playmaking on the top two lines, Fowler will return to the assist numbers he had playing on good Anaheim teams (30,27,28). So he will provide enough offense. The remaining question: is Fowler good enough defensively? Playing with Carlo solidifies the pairing. But more than that having fully-engaged team D with both the top 2 lines is significant. As mentioned, all of the top 6 have received Selke votes at some point in their careers. Goals Against reflect team defense as much as quality of D pairings. In effect, the D-men won't be "on an island" as much as on other teams. Given the team makeup, the D1 is more B- than C-.

L4--Not sure Pitlick needs to prop up Glendenning who is near the top of the league in FO% and hits while being recognized with Selke votes. Plus the 4th line is where being disciplined pays off--many fourth lines end up giving the opponents a man advantage. This fourth line simply won't. A-

Goalies: Crawford was 6th (top 20%) of goalies for quality starts. In any series, he is an advantage. B+

Like any "GM," I wasn't able to get the player I would have hoped for in each round. But this team was built as a team that will score while making it hard on the opponents to score. It definitely could have had better individual D-men, but in context (forward engagement and Crawford's steadiness) this is not a team that will be easy to score upon.
I had a feeling your restriction was PIM related when you said it would "be a decent advantage in all series".

Reactions: emptyNedder

OB5

May 2, 2015
Feel like we gotta get some pre-voting talk/biases in.

Who wants grades on their lines? I promise I won't sugarcoat it if your team is bad.
me please

Taylor Hall-Jack Eichel-Dennis Gurianov
Filip Zadina-Kevin Hayes-Kevin Labanc
Joel Farabee-Alex Kerfoot-Zach Aston Reese
Max Jones-Mikhail Grigorenko-Michael Amadio

Mattias Ekholm-Matt Dumba
Brady Skjei-Erik Cernak
Jake McCabe-Noah Dobson

Jacob Markstrom
David Rittich

Cap Hit: $68,692,024

Reactions: hockeynorth

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I had a feeling your restriction was PIM related when you said it would "be a decent advantage in all series".
This was only my second game, but the restriction made it more fun. Taking inspiration from the (Olympic and draft-year restrictions, which were both brilliant) others, I have a quirky restriction I am going to try if there is another game soon. It will really test my creativity/patience!

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
mg_6761-3.jpg

^ Boys above working hard to bring you the following BIG DEAL (look at that small on LeBrun's face, you know he's not reading trade texts, he's looking at Reddit or something).

Three-way trade, EDM/NYI/FLA:

To NYI- Evgenii Dadonov, Chris Kreider, Craig Smith
To FLA- Adam Pelech, Brock McGinn
To EDM- Mikko Rantanen, Ilya Mikheyev, Patrik Nemeth

@ConnorMcMullet @Paralyzer008 to confirm.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
mg_6761-3.jpg

^ Boys above working hard to bring you the following BIG DEAL (look at that small on LeBrun's face, you know he's not reading trade texts, he's looking at Reddit or something).

Three-way trade, EDM/NYI/FLA:

To NYI- Evgenii Dadonov, Chris Kreider, Craig Smith
To FLA- Adam Pelech, Brock McGinn
To EDM- Mikko Rantanen, Ilya Mikheyev, Patrik Nemeth

@ConnorMcMullet @Paralyzer008 to confirm.
What're the pieces out in this deal from each team?

And clear McMullet W again.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Alright y’all if anyone has a top pair LD and is willing to move him for a lesser LD+forward upgrades let me know
Anyone want to help me beat these assholes and join my cult? I’m nicer than m0pe and y’all is a regular word in my vocabulary so more fun too. The price of admission is simply trading me a LD. I won’t f*** you over THAT much!

Reactions: hockeynorth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad