2020-21 Expected Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
I could see that happening
pretty sure that you will see Kurashev make the club next season and IMO it could very well be Saad's spot that he takes on the roster and its very possible that one of entwhistle or barratt makes Kampf obsolete

Barratt probably gets a year in Rockford ... if the AHL is playing. Kampf costs $1 million, there's no reason to replace him unless Entwhistle is much better. And you probably err towards defensive experience on your fourth line. Entwhistle could probably use another year in Rockford too.

Reactions: Muffinalt

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Barratt probably gets a year in Rockford ... if the AHL is playing. Kampf costs $1 million, there's no reason to replace him unless Entwhistle is much better. And you probably err towards defensive experience on your fourth line. Entwhistle could probably use another year in Rockford too.

Barratt and Entwhistle each cost less, so money isn’t really a factor. Obviously the implication is Kampf loses the job to one of them. If neither are ready, then Kampf will likely hold the job.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
F70FE398-7B69-4050-B878-9627D665B0C4.jpeg

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I'm thinking Kubalik has as good chance at any of Chicago's Stars to win the Conn Smythe

Don't want our RFAs to explode, we have serious cap issues as is. That said, definitely hoping they play well (just not too well, lol).

As to your question: as good a chance as Kane? Doubtful.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
No room in the Top 9, at least currently, for Kurashev. Obviously, cap problems may create an opening. If not, I'd rather have him playing 20 minutes and special teams in the A than 4th line minutes with the Hawks.

One thing's for sure, he's coming (fast) and he's pretty darn close. This playoff stint with the Hawks should be invaluable. Shame Mitchell can't experience it.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
No room in the Top 9, at least currently, for Kurashev. Obviously, cap problems may create an opening. If not, I'd rather have him playing 20 minutes and special teams in the A than 4th line minutes with the Hawks.

One thing's for sure, he's coming (fast) and he's pretty darn close. This playoff stint with the Hawks should be invaluable. Shame Mitchell can't experience it.
Kurashev is the reason I'd be ok trading Strome if they had to.

Wouldn't mind trading DeBrincat either if the price is right.

jebait

Aug 2, 2020
Howdy all! I finally gave in and created an account after lurking on this site for a few weeks. I'd lost interest in the Hawks during the past couple years and gotta say it's nice to have some good young players like Dach and Kubalik to get excited about once again. Now I'm hooked again haha!

I think this offseason and the next 12 months are going to be crucial in determining the Hawks future trajectory, and I've got some bold ideas about what management should do to turn the team into a contender again. I'm still lining up my thoughts and will probably share them in a long post once the Hawks' season is over, but in the meantime I will say that I think the brass should look to keep Kubalik and Strome over Saad and Debrincat when it comes to next season's roster. In fact, even though it would make us worse in the short term I would actively try to trade Saad (with retention if necessary) for a 1st round pick/high-end prospect and Cat for a pick in the 5-10 range in this year's draft.

My reasoning for the above is this:

1. Kubalik looks like a stud, so do whatever is necessary to keep him with the Hawks long term.
2. I see Strome as a player who is improving and stands a decent chance of reaching his potential of a good 2C. Plus, the cost to resign him should be favorable relative to his overall performance.
3. We need to shed salary for next season, and two-way top 6 players like Saad are always in demand. Plus he's a pending UFA, and IMO there's a good chance he would be open to resigning with us after the 2020-21 season even if we traded him.
4. I see Cat as a 30/60-ish 2nd line player on a contender. However I also feel his defensive and puck-retrieval skills are below average due to his lack of size, reach, and bulk. 6.4 million per year is around market value for that kind of production, but based on the general scouting consensus the top 10 picks from this year's draft seem likely to turn into players who will equal or exceed Cat's overall contribution - it would take 2-3 years for them to reach that level, sure, but I think trading Cat for a high pick would make the team better in the long run.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Howdy all! I finally gave in and created an account after lurking on this site for a few weeks. I'd lost interest in the Hawks during the past couple years and gotta say it's nice to have some good young players like Dach and Kubalik to get excited about once again. Now I'm hooked again haha!

I think this offseason and the next 12 months are going to be crucial in determining the Hawks future trajectory, and I've got some bold ideas about what management should do to turn the team into a contender again. I'm still lining up my thoughts and will probably share them in a long post once the Hawks' season is over, but in the meantime I will say that I think the brass should look to keep Kubalik and Strome over Saad and Debrincat when it comes to next season's roster. In fact, even though it would make us worse in the short term I would actively try to trade Saad (with retention if necessary) for a 1st round pick/high-end prospect and Cat for a pick in the 5-10 range in this year's draft.

My reasoning for the above is this:

1. Kubalik looks like a stud, so do whatever is necessary to keep him with the Hawks long term.
2. I see Strome as a player who is improving and stands a decent chance of reaching his potential of a good 2C. Plus, the cost to resign him should be favorable relative to his overall performance.
3. We need to shed salary for next season, and two-way top 6 players like Saad are always in demand. Plus he's a pending UFA, and IMO there's a good chance he would be open to resigning with us after the 2020-21 season even if we traded him.
4. I see Cat as a 30/60-ish 2nd line player on a contender. However I also feel his defensive and puck-retrieval skills are below average due to his lack of size, reach, and bulk. 6.4 million per year is around market value for that kind of production, but based on the general scouting consensus the top 10 picks from this year's draft seem likely to turn into players who will equal or exceed Cat's overall contribution - it would take 2-3 years for them to reach that level, sure, but I think trading Cat for a high pick would make the team better in the long run.
Welcome.

But no to trading Cat.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I'm fairly concerned about both Strome and Kubalik getting offersheeted by the same team. They get the Hawks to match Kubalik north of $6M then turn around and OS Strome at 4.2M and wait. It's exactly how the Sharks got Niemi in 2010.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I'm fairly concerned about both Strome and Kubalik getting offersheeted by the same team. They get the Hawks to match Kubalik north of $6M then turn around and OS Strome at 4.2M and wait. It's exactly how the Sharks got Niemi in 2010.
Is that allowed? Sharks only offer sheeted Hjammer. The Hawks then just had to let Neimi walk after arbitration and the Sharks just scoped him up.

Idk in this tight cap area I'm not sure the offer sheet case is as likely. The 2015 Saad situation was a far more likely one I got fearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad