2020-21 Expected Roster Talk - Part 3

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Unfortunately, I agree you need to have a plan for a future without Toews. A few months ago, I would've said this team is doomed without Toews -- but seeing the way Kane has stepped up even more, and seeing the drive in all these young guys along with DeBrincat becoming a star, a future without Toews doesn't seem so bleak.

I truly do hope he comes back, as do all of us, but I now feel this franchise is not totally doomed if he doesn't. You'll still need Dach to hit a high level, and will need at least one of Mitchell/Boqvist/Beaudin to breakout while the others at least become solid d-men to truly compete -- but I think those are realistic things.

Also, DeBrincat-Suter-Kane has been a f***ing revelation this year. That line is doing some incredible things while squaring up against top competition night in and night out. Seeing Kane be this dominant without the classic sheltering that we're used to seeing him receive over the last decade+ should really catch people's attention. He's really solidifying his spot on the Mt. Rushmore of greatest players of this era.

Agree with everything (except I'll be severely depressed for a good few months if Tazer doesn't come back).

Toews is kind of an x factor though at this point, as strange as it is to write that down of THE captain. If he comes back, that forward group turns f***ing insane.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Agree with everything (except I'll be severely depressed for a good few months if Tazer doesn't come back).

Toews is kind of an x factor though at this point, as strange as it is to write that down of THE captain. If he comes back, that forward group turns f***ing insane.

Absolutely, the thought is definitely depressing. But, TB basically won a cup without their captain/face of the franchise.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
It's from an Eastern Conference exec, as stated in the quote.

Yup. Laz and Powers discussed it on their podcast. Apparently the beats were asked to send in names and they sent in Strome and then Duhatschek and Custance followed up with their sources and got the additional info and placed him where they placed him on the trade bait list.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019

I've been thinking about this and I wonder what it will be like when Toews comes back, if he does. Like this is Kane's team now. There is a not insignificant number of guys who never played with Toews. It's not like Seabrook and Dach who are still around the team, I don't think Toews is with the team at all. Does Kane cede the leadership role back to Toews and would that be a good thing?

Also, I wonder if Toews's situation is chronic such as an immune response, perhaps he could come back and play less minutes or even take regular maintenance days like guys do in the NBA.

Reactions: Pez68

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I've been thinking about this and I wonder what it will be like when Toews comes back, if he does. Like this is Kane's team now. There is a not insignificant number of guys who never played with Toews. It's not like Seabrook and Dach who are still around the team, I don't think Toews is with the team at all. Does Kane cede the leadership role back to Toews and would that be a good thing?

Also, I wonder if Toews's situation is chronic such as an immune response, perhaps he could come back and play less minutes or even take regular maintenance days like guys do in the NBA.

And how about the irony of this team becoming significantly harder working than it had been since maybe 2015 just as Kane has basically taken the captain-ish role?

I’m sure some thought the country club was due for a massive expansion once Toews went down.

Last edited:

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
And how about the irony of this team becoming significantly harder working that it had been since maybe 2015 just as Kane has basically taken the captain-ish role?

I’m sure some thought the country club was due for a massive expansion once Toews went down.

Kane has always been the more dedicated of the two players. He doesn't take time off and works all offseason. It's honestly not that surprising.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary

I don't really think it works like that to be honest. As in, it's my team or your team sole kind of leadership.

Guys with natural leadership abilities (outspoken, direct, certain etc) will always naturally gravitate towards being a figure in any locker room in any sport, but doesn't mean it's not done by committee. I think Toews is such a natural that his voice will always carry a lot of weight. From my limited exposure he also seems embracing and calm, which makes me doubt he would ever try to force his voice onto others. He's also been a trusted partner, leader of Kane for a decade so that dynamic doesn't go away.

Anyway all I'm saying is I would never see it as a problem (rather a huge, culture driving presence is coming back which will be a boost in team moral). Only way it could cause issues is if Toews comes back and his idea of playing the game and compete differs drastically from this newfound hardworking style JC and the guys implemented. But then he will have to assimilate or else... Anyway it's Toews, I could never see that happen.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
And how about the irony of this team becoming significantly harder working than it had been since maybe 2015 just as Kane has basically taken the captain-ish role?

But it's not suddenly Kane who's taken sole leadership role and tells everyone what to do...

We have a confident JC who has finally implemented his style.. onto a roster full of hardworking guys, made up of new young guys with a bunch of compete, new vets who are known for that style, and a new found Debrincat who has rewamped his game around those qualities. All those threads last year where we pointed out how big a % of the roster is made of offense only guys... Now it's like 90% two way hustlers.

Sure Kane is a great vet no doubt, probably one of the most influential voices in the locker room, but to boil this down to simply it's now Kane leading instead of Toews, is superficial.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
But it's not suddenly Kane who's taken sole leadership role and tells everyone what to do...

We have a confident JC who has finally implemented his style.. onto a roster full of hardworking guys, made up of new young guys with a bunch of compete, new vets who are known for that style, and a new found Debrincat who has rewamped his game around those qualities. All those threads last year where we pointed out how big a % of the roster is made of offense only guys... Now it's like 90% two way hustlers.

Sure Kane is a great vet no doubt, probably one of the most influential voices in the locker room, but to boil this down to simply it's now Kane leading instead of Toews, is superficial.

I think what I was saying kind of got lost. I didn't mean all of this improvement is 100% because of Kane.

I was just working off the premise presented by Brightwing who said this is Kane's team now, and then tried to poke fun at the people who drag Kane for not putting in effort or doing a country club thing.

I was saying it's funny how "his team" is suddenly harder-working.

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Why not offer all the current players new deals at the same pay? Cap is staying the same for 3-5 years. See who wants to be part of this, trade the rest.

I’d like to see Janmark...2 years $2.25m
and Soderberg for one more year $1.2m

They fill the holes in the line up nicely and contribute on or off the score sheet every game.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Why not offer all the current players new deals at the same pay? Cap is staying the same for 3-5 years. See who wants to be part of this, trade the rest.

They fill the holes in the line up nicely and contribute on or off the score sheet every game.

Because they may not accept them? Suter will be looking for a raise, perhaps a modest one for Kampf too. Both of them are arbitration eligible so if the Hawks want to resign them without going to arb they'll have to give them a raise. Zadorov is arb eligible as well.

Reactions: bwana63

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
I think what I was saying kind of got lost. I didn't mean all of this improvement is 100% because of Kane.

I was just working off the premise presented by Brightwing who said this is Kane's team now, and then tried to poke fun at the people who drag Kane for not putting in effort or doing a country club thing.

I was saying it's funny how "his team" is suddenly harder-working.

Ok got you!

Last edited:

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Things getting a little bit blown out of proportion and things getting taken a little bit to seriously.

Kane has been the teams best player for what...? 12 years now (maybe a couple seasons Keith was better..Toews maybe a year but that splitting hairs) and has always been the #1 offensive threat he leads on the ice... He isn't all of a sudden a leader because Toews nd Seabrook are gone, he has always been one.

It's not about great big speeches all the time, or some extra letter on a jersey I dont think that makes a difference.

cassac

Sep 19, 2013

I do not want the Blackhawks to sign any of the pending UFAs until after the expansion draft.

Blackhawks will already be short on protections. If they can come to an agreement to wait to sign until after the draft, that would be okay. Although, I do not know if that would violate any league rules.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Unless we do really well the next 2-3 weeks Vs top teams. I would move Janmark, Soderburg, and Dehaan. Might need to retain on dehaan but that is ok. SAAD retention comes off the books. I woudl probably move Strome after the EXP draft. He played better early but he reverted back to 2020 play. I just have a hard time thinking who would trade for him and give up alot knowing they have to protect him. Maybe a team that has someone older that has a NMC that would waive to Chicago? it would need to be only a 2 year deal. I'm sure there are a few out there. the other team gets a better younger player and we swap guys that we will not expose for the exp draft. if Toews never plays again I wonder if he would waive. he Might do it as a favor for the team he loves.

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017

I'm still not quite sure about having a 4th liner on the first PP. You got Soda as the net front presence, what's the purpose of Carpenter? For puck retrieval, I suppose.

I dunno, we'll see. I'd rather see another scoring threat on the first unit but *shrugs*

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad