2020-21 Expected Roster Talk - Part 3

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
He’s defensively responsible and can move the puck better than anyone except for Bo.

the problem is his shot.. but PP2 has done well moving the puck quickly and having the open man shoot.

He's fine when he's not a primary shooting option. He moves the puck quickly and makes good decisions. I'm fine with him on PP2.

Reactions: Fortyfives

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Would like to see Mitchell over Keith on pp2
I think they've been trying him on the PK. It's really difficult for a young player to play on both as you need to be with one group or the other at practice. Doing both is a lot. Doesn't mean he'll never get a PP look.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
They will protectcStrome in the expansion draft...But if his future is only a 3C if Toews cones back they will move him..

So Soderberg 1 more year forc c3C role till Reichel is ready (Reichel pkaying #1C currently for Berlin Eisbarren)?

NOT if they trade Soderberg forvpick at thexTDL if price is right.

Rather FINALLY we will see MAXIM SHALUNOV as our 3C(he ciurrently 2C for CSKA Moscow....today he scored the only goal ,a GWG in OT for a CSKA 1-0 win...notcsYinh he willbe z big points guy for us as 3C but certainly brings the size like Soderberg for checking/boardwalk and 3C type roke...Probably also to be used as screen guy lijecSoderberg does at the crease ...

He may be more comfortable with a northern Russian experienced KHL winger like tge rumors Hawks arevinterestddvin Danir Zhafrayov .....ifvthe Hawks bring in thise two thenre-casr the 3rd lines. TOEWS wiukdcget 2nd line C for Kubalik and somebody else= Shaw?Hagel? OR ?

Trade Janmark,Soderberg and DeHaan at TDL if you can get a goid price back ...otherwise let walk ....tgerexalwaysxwill ve free agentsvfrom the znHL equal to their level who you also can sign to fill roles line they did.

As for Kayumov...not sure he would add much...He seemed like he could at thd start of the season but over lsdt month it seems he has faded to hardly scorongvat all and lesser line assignments for Lokomotiv...so the jury is out on him as to readiness....if ever.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Powers and Las speculating who could be had at the deadline.

Blackhawks trade tiers: Who's staying, who could be going, the financial picture

Tier 2: Long shots to be dealt
Kubalik, winger: One league source recently said the Blackhawks should strongly consider trading Kubalik now. “He’d get them back a first-rounder now,” the source said. “He’s going to be too expensive for them in his next contract. You have to pay Dach and others. Plus, Kubalik’s not a great fit for this current team. You need him to play with more skilled players, and the Blackhawks don’t have enough of those to go around right now. Why not trade him now, draft another first-rounder and be more prepared to be a contender in three years?” The Blackhawks have had great success plucking talent from Europe — Artemi Panarin, Dominik Kahun, Erik Gustafsson — but they haven’t held on to any of them. Could Kubalik be next?

Like... the f*** Mr League Source? This has to be one of the stupidest opinions yet. Legit made me angry.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

Blackhawks trade tiers: Who's staying, who could be going, the financial picture

Like... the f*** Mr League Source? This has to be one of the stupidest opinions yet. Legit made me angry.
As someone who was advocating trading him last season at the deadline, trading him now (or in the near future) would be dumb unless it was a huge overpay. A 1st round pick by a cup contender don't mean shit.

That whole lack of cap space talking point is BS. He's already getting $3.7m. What, does the team source believe he's gonna demand 8 or 9 million after his current deal?!? We're no worse off cap wise than any team that'd be interested in him.

And he's not playing with talent because Dach and Toews are both out. Dach will return, hopefully Toews will too. So Hawks will certainly get more offensive talent to play with Kubalik in the near future, just not right now.

If we're thinking of moving him, which again we shouldn't be, it's a 1st and an A level prospect for starters. A former 30 goal scorer who is putting up what would be about a 65pt season in a regular year isn't a cheap asset, especially when he's not hit his prime yet. Trading for him needs to hurt the other team as much as it'd hurt us to lose him, aka a lot.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I wouldn’t trade Kubalik but given his ice time and deployment would it really be that surprising if they did? I’d personally be getting him out on the ice more and with better line mate but for some reason JC won’t even play him 15 minutes half of the time.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I guess I'm indifferent towards trading Kubalik because obviously for the right return it could be worth it. But at the same time, there's no reason to actively shop him. He's still an RFA after his current deal.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019

I kinda feel like Mr. League Source was maybe interested in Kubalik? The fact that they put such a huge priority on re-signing him this summer and the way they talk about him makes me feel like they're keeping him. I honestly see him as a Patrick Sharp type player.

In terms of money, I think we can find money to make it work, especially if the team is on the upswing. This summer the Hawks will see Smith's $3.25M and the $1M retained on Saad come off the books. I think that should be enough space to give Kampf, Hagel and Zadorov modest raises. You keep one of Carpenter, Highmore and Wallmark. That leaves a raise for Suter, and I don't think he's going to make more than the $3M Strome got unless he really popped off. Janmark and Soderberg you re-sign if you have LTIR money, which you probably will from Seabrook. And let's not forget one of those guys (de Haan, Carpenter, Highmore, Carlsson etc.) will be gone in the expansion.

The year after Dach, Boqvist, Kubalik, Kurashev, Highmore and the goalies are due new contracts. But you have de Haan ($4.55M), Murphy ($3.85M), Carpenter ($1M), Strome ($3M), Kubalik ($3.7M) and Shaw ($3.9) expiring. I suspect de Haan, Shaw and Strome will be moved due to a combination of trades, retirement and UFA. That's almost $11.5 million to go around. Of the remainder, you can sign bridge contracts with a couple of them knowing that the following year Toews, Kane and Keith are up. Keith you're not re-signing except maybe to a modest one year Chara-type contract if he's still playing well. Toews is no longer a $10.5M player, if he's a player at all at that point.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
I'm not going to make a whole trade thread about it, but looking at a potential trade target for a playoff run, what about Dustin Brown? He's a right shot.

He's 36 and signed one more year after this with a modified no trade clause (7 team no trade list) and $5.87 AAV but he's cash under cap at $4M next year with no signing bonus.

The reason that's important is because if the Hawks can't fit him next year and they can't trade him, the buyout is doable and would not cost a lot cash wise. Dustin Brown Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I feel like because his AAV is quite high and he has a year of term, we wouldn't have to give a lot away to acquire him.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
He should be on PP1 in the left handed Ovechkin role.

The Hawks already have a great PP, but it could be even better with Kubalik taking clappers from the right circle.

Having him on PP2 is a waste of his elite shot.

If they got Kane away from that spot, it could only make the PP better, right?

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

The Hawks already have a great PP, but it could be even better with Kubalik taking clappers from the right circle.

If they got Kane away from that spot, it could only make the PP better, right?

This is nitpicking.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019

We've been over this so many times. He plays Kane's side on the PP. So yes, normally he should be on it but the role is occupied. So you either move Kane out of his role or put Kane on PP2.

Neither Kane or Kubalik is going to take faceoffs. They're not going to be the net front guy and you need at least one dman and there's no reason for them to shoot on their offside when you have Debrincat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad