2020-21 Expected Roster Talk - Part 3

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Lots of things to celebrate (more tribute threads?), but I think that #1 on my list is that the Hawks are forging an identity, based on out working their opponent and making the right decision. They're clearly not near the most talented team, but if you work hard and execute properly you're gonna be a tough out. Should auger well as the team gets more talented.

Last edited:

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
According to MoneyPuck.com, it looks like the Zadorov-Murphy pairing is the only Hawks pairing to not have been scored on so far — among pairs that have played at least 50 minutes (they’ve played 94 together).

thats a pairing that makes so much sense on paper, nice to see it translate to games and would love to see them in a playoff series...lets say planning to next year they go keith-mitchell, z-murphy...boqvist is clearly the remaining rhd, is beaudin a good fit there or do they give mitchell a pair with beaudin and put bo with keith...mitchell already plays such a solid game defensively but boqvist and beau on a line together seem optimistic going into next year as it stands today

Reactions: Pez68 and Muffinalt

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
But a certain poster here told me that neither of those guys know how to do anything with the puck, ever.

Murphy is a step or two above Z offensively...feel way more comfortable with Murphy skating the puck than Z, Murphy actually has 6 points in 15 games this year which is on pace to double his career high if the season were 82 games, always felt like he's got some untapped offensive upside, maybe a 30-35 point type player.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Murphy is a step or two above Z offensively...feel way more comfortable with Murphy skating the puck than Z, Murphy actually has 6 points in 15 games this year which is on pace to double his career high if the season were 82 games, always felt like he's got some untapped offensive upside, maybe a 30-35 point type player.

Both of them are perfectly fine making passes and moving the puck out of their zone. It was an absolutely terrible take.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary

Murphy's improvement has been super nice there. Not the traditional PMD but he's pretty smart about his positioning and pinches now. I also feel pretty comfortable with his transition game.

It was a surprise to me that they work so well with Zadorov who is also more of a SHD and not a puck mover, but it does really work, even with eye test. Their reach and smart defending off the rush really seems to shrinks the neutral zone where they can activate with pretty good passing.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
The more I think about it, the more I like this setup for our 2021/22 forward lines if Toews returns:

Kurashev/Suter-Toews-Kubalik
DeBrincat-Suter/Kurashev-Kane
XXX-Dach-Hagel
XXX-Kampf-XXX

3rd line LW options will be endless: Janmark(if re-signed), Shaw(if he doesn’t retire), Strome, Nylander, etc.

There should also be plenty of options for 4th line wingers. Maybe we just keep Highmore and Carpenter there. Maybe we bring back Soderberg who’s been very solid and bump him down to the 4th line. Or try out some more new faces/rookies.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
The more I think about it, the more I like this setup for our 2021/22 forward lines if Toews returns:

XXX-Dach-Hagel
XXX-Kampf-XXX

3rd line LW options will be endless: Janmark(if re-signed), Shaw(if he doesn’t retire), Strome, Nylander, etc.

There should also be plenty of options for 4th line wingers. Maybe we just keep Highmore and Carpenter there. Maybe we bring back Soderberg who’s been very solid and bump him down to the 4th line. Or try out some more new faces/rookies.

I like it too. I get the desire to have Dach with elite talent, but if Dach can carry his own line with speedy try-hard guys, that’s so valuable to this team.

Seeing how Cat-Suter/Kurashev-Kane can thrive together is one of the biggest gifts of this f***ed up season. Them being able to do that and carry the majority of the offensive load (doing it now even against top competition) means this franchise has a real chance to run a three effective scoring lines when healthy.

Being able to have Cat and Kane thrive without either of your top two centers with them can be the difference between having a good and great forward group.

Then you look at Kampf, who has basically been dominant no matter his linemates, and you also have a fourth line that you feel good matching up on opposing top-six lines.

This may be a bit of a hot take, but I think the forward group looks strong next season even if Toews can’t return. If he does return, then this may be nearing a contender level forward group (assuming the Cat and Kane we’re seeing doesn’t disappear, of course.)

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
I like it too. I get the desire to have Dach with elite talent, but if Dach can carry his own line with speedy try-hard guys, that’s so valuable to this team.

Seeing how Cat-Suter/Kurashev-Kane can thrive together is one of the biggest gifts of this f***ed up season. Them being able to do that and carry the majority of the offensive load (doing it now even against top competition) means this franchise has a real chance to run a three effective scoring lines when healthy.

Being able to have Cat and Kane thrive without either of your top two centers with them can be the difference between having a good and great forward group.

Then you look at Kampf, who has basically been dominant no matter his linemates, and you also have a fourth line that you feel good matching up on opposing top-six lines.

This may be a bit of a hot take, but I think the forward group looks strong next season even if Toews can’t return. If he does return, then this may be nearing a contender level forward group (assuming the Cat and Kane we’re seeing doesn’t disappear, of course.)

Yeah agree with you and @SimpleJack absolutely.

And the good thing is we still have Reichel and Barratt coming, which should mean the group is sustainable. Coz we're bound to lose a guy or two from the top 9 due to cap unfortunately, but the ones who could fill in on an ELC are already in the system. That is so important if we're thinking contending window.

I'm not that high on d yet though. We have a nice assortment of 2-3Ds (which is awesome), but someone needs to develop into a top dog imo for this to really become a contending roster. Do we wait for Mitchell/Beaudin/Boqvist to maybe become that? When could that happen? It's important for that to line up with the forward group's timing. That's why I'm thinking about a trade, but Stan's MO I think tells me we are going to go with the wait and see approach.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Powers, a timely piece ($): Breaking down Blackhawks defenseman Adam Boqvist's development

Key points:
- he definitely shouldn't be in the AHL
- he's better defensively than last season
- he's playing less cautiously (trying more risk/reward plays)
- he has a lot more to give offensively
- he's very young
- his development has been good, but he's far from a finished product

Last edited:
Reactions: LavalPhantom

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006

XXX-Dach-Hagel
XXX-Kampf-XXX

although I do think Dach is fine to carry a line he needs the correct people on his line, ideally a decent playmaker and a shooter...Hagel is neither of those IMO, Hagel is a speedster, hard working p[uck battle winning kind of a guy and he would be a great third wheel to the Toews line if he returns and that would free up one of Kurashev/Kubalik to join Dach.

Kubalik-Toews-Hagel (we know Kubalik and Toews work together, Hagel will fit in well as he can win puck battles, has speed and tenacity)
Debrincat-Suter-Kane (this is a commodity that works, Cat & Kane have been dynamite together and IMO Suter fits better there than Kurashev)
Nylander-Dach-Kurashev (if Nylander comes back with a passion and plays like he can with full effort this third line could absolutely light it up against other teams weaker competition, I really see this trio as well pretty much a perfect combination of skillsets to compliment one another...Nylander being the big if though...)

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
although I do think Dach is fine to carry a line he needs the correct people on his line, ideally a decent playmaker and a shooter...Hagel is neither of those IMO, Hagel is a speedster, hard working p[uck battle winning kind of a guy and he would be a great third wheel to the Toews line if he returns and that would free up one of Kurashev/Kubalik to join Dach.

Kubalik-Toews-Hagel (we know Kubalik and Toews work together, Hagel will fit in well as he can win puck battles, has speed and tenacity)
Debrincat-Suter-Kane (this is a commodity that works, Cat & Kane have been dynamite together and IMO Suter fits better there than Kurashev)
Nylander-Dach-Kurashev (if Nylander comes back with a passion and plays like he can with full effort this third line could absolutely light it up against other teams weaker competition, I really see this trio as well pretty much a perfect combination of skillsets to compliment one another...Nylander being the big if though...)

Love it.

If Strome sticks around, you could also plug him in the Nylander spot and drop Nylander down with Kampf — force him to work his way up the lineup.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary

Really like those lines too. Like you say I think Hagel would be a very good fit with Toews as basically another Saad type, or Caggs type. But fwiw, he's also shown chemistry with Dach before, although they'd definitely need a shooter there (Nylander).

Anyway the awesome thing is there is plenty of combo possibilities.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
You would play Lankinen in back to back games against the worst team in the division????

That makes absolutely no sense. I’d start Subban tonight partly as a reward and partly to have the better goalie in net when the skaters in front of him are a little more tired and less sharp on the ice.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Really like those lines too. Like you say I think Hagel would be a very good fit with Toews as basically another Saad type, or Caggs type. But fwiw, he's also shown chemistry with Dach before, although they'd definitely need a shooter there (Nylander).

Anyway the awesome thing is there is plenty of combo possibilities.

Cat/Dach/Hagel

Or

Hagel/Dach/Kubalik

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
You would play Lankinen in back to back games against the worst team in the division????
yes I would, back to back games against Detroit should not be an issue for a young Lankinen...

having said that I do understand the logic and reasoning for splitting the starts, just not what I would do

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad