2020-21 ECHL Season Thread

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Not true, ordinarily if drafted out of the CHL , you have to wait until you are at least 20 years old or have played 4 years in junior ( Veleno ) in order to be eligible for the ECHL / AHL.

That is incorrect. It's the agreement between the NHL and CHL that prohibits it, not any rule in the ECHL or AHL. You need only be 18 years old to play in either of those leagues.

AHL:
What is the minimum age for an AHL player?
Per AHL By-Laws, the age limit for eligibility to compete in the American Hockey League is 18 years or over, on or before September 15 of each season of competition.
FAQ.

The ECHL doesn't appear to have a minimum age listed anywhere, but it is indeed the same as the AHL.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
That is incorrect. It's the agreement between the NHL and CHL that prohibits it, not any rule in the ECHL or AHL. You need only be 18 years old to play in either of those leagues.

AHL:
What is the minimum age for an AHL player?
Per AHL By-Laws, the age limit for eligibility to compete in the American Hockey League is 18 years or over, on or before September 15 of each season of competition.
FAQ.

The ECHL doesn't appear to have a minimum age listed anywhere, but it is indeed the same as the AHL.

Thats just the listed age limit because those who are drafted out of Europe or any league other than the CHL for that matter can play at 18. If you don't believe me then try to list a player drafted out of the CHL who played in the ECHL/AHL at 18 or 19 years old, there is none

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Thats just the listed age limit because those who are drafted out of Europe or any league other than the CHL for that matter can play at 18. If you don't believe me then try to list a player drafted out of the CHL who played in the ECHL/AHL at 18 or 19 years old, there is none

That's because the NHL has an agreement with the CHL not to assign players to the AHL/ECHL, not because there's a rule against it in the AHL or ECHL. You are completely misreading the NHL/CHL agreement into thinking the lower leagues are a party to that agreement. They are not. I cannot make this any clearer: There is no AHL or ECHL rule/policy/whatever that prevents those players from playing in those leagues.

Feel free to post a link to any mainstream hockey source that you can find that says the AHL or ECHL has a rule that says those players are prohibited from playing in their leagues. Good luck with that.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
@210 would know, wings, most of us posters are somewhat new to the nuances of the ECHL, but the majority of us posters were in the AHL, HE'S RIGHT unless you can show the rule passed by the PHPA (the union that represents players in the AHL/ECHL), the NHL/CHL agreement doesn't apply here

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
That's because the NHL has an agreement with the CHL not to assign players to the AHL/ECHL, not because there's a rule against it in the AHL or ECHL. You are completely misreading the NHL/CHL agreement into thinking the lower leagues are a party to that agreement. They are not. I cannot make this any clearer: There is no AHL or ECHL rule/policy/whatever that prevents those players from playing in those leagues.

Regardless if there is no policy with specific age restrictions in the AHL / ECHL , the agreement between the NHL and CHL will prevent junior players from the CHL being assigned to the AHL/ECHL. Both parties will be looking to honour this agreement and will not go against it.

This is why players u-20 have historically been from leagues other than the CHL . This season however CHL players are being assigned to the AHL as their junior seasons are in question. . This is why I was asking the question if some players are looking sign in the ECHL or have been assigned as this would be logical for those players not quite ready to contribute at the AHL level

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Regardless if there is no policy with specific age restrictions in the AHL / ECHL , the agreement between the NHL and CHL will prevent junior players from the CHL being assigned to the AHL/ECHL. Both parties will be looking to honour this agreement and will not go against it.

This is why players u-20 have historically been from leagues other than the CHL . This season however CHL players are being assigned to the AHL as their junior seasons are in question. . This is why I was asking the question if some players are looking sign in the ECHL or have been assigned as this would be logical for those players not quite ready to contribute at the AHL level
that's why the CHL itself allows 18 years or older, that's why 20 was selected as the minimum age to start a pro career, otherwise, and I'll give you an example, wings... Bergeron was 18 but had to be approved to be assigned to Providence if that was available to him, and those are on a case to case basis whether an 18 or 19 year old can be assigned. it has NOTHING to do with the ECHL, that's the rule in the AHL, EVEN though both leagues have the same union.

not all NHL teams use the ECHL either, so that piece doesn't apply here regarding to NHL/CHL Agreement

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
ECHL Mini-Season B games scheduled for this weekend. All available via the League's media partner FloHockey.tv. Web radio broadcast links (for old farts like me) can be found in this post.

ECHL Mini-Season B Schedule-Fri Jan 22 2021.JPG

ECHL Mini-Season B Schedule-Sat Jan 23 2021.JPG

ECHL Mini-Season B Schedule-Sun Jan 24 2021.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Greenville Orlando Friday/Saturday postponed due to Covid protocols. The postponement rate really spiked this week.
Not that I can ascribe any correlation, but there were a handful more games scheduled earlier this week than the previous calendar week. It's also approaching one month since the year-end holidays, so maybe there is some influence from that starting to show up. Though there are several other factors that could have yielded a temporary "blip" in postponements. :dunno:

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Indy completed a three game sweep of Tulsa & concludes the weekend in Wichita.

Even if this season is regarded with an asterisk, I'll take the dominance, though the need to have games go into overtime is a weakness for the club.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Per yesterday's ECHL Tranasactions, it looks like Wichita has lost a big chunk of their borrowed AHL firepower, since the Condors are starting training camp today. Greenville activated 2 D-men & 3 forwards from the Exempt List, so maybe they will start to gel in the East.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Last week I made the following post, "We'll call this one a rumor for now, but it appears the ECHL and PHPA are close to an agreement that will allow the teams that opted out to regain the rights to some of the players they've lost." It was reported by someone (I'm being nice because it's not hard to guess who it was), and a moderator that was apparently too busy to send a PM to ask me about it deleted it.

I called it a rumor because the person who told me, who I have told a moderator here who it was and would call the source's track record 100% accurate, asked that I call it that.

Start listening 11 minutes in:
https://open.spotify.com/show/5WsKYqUka72D7pFYx64Ckk?si=A0C_3u1zQrKVNWQ5iVP3wQ&nd=1

I'll note that I wasn't part of that Q&A, I was on a different Zoom call that evening...that one was about Manchester potentially joining the ECHL. And, no, I won't tell you who was on that call.

hurricanesfan123

May 1, 2019
North America
I'll note that I wasn't part of that Q&A, I was on a different Zoom call that evening...that one was about Manchester potentially joining the ECHL. And, no, I won't tell you who was on that call.
Say what? You leave the worst cliffhangers :shakehead Hopefully its at least a regional guy

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Meanwhile, on the ice, Florida's Kyle Neuber gets a five game suspension and fined under the league's supplementary discipline rule for interference;

Wichita's Jacob Graves takes the AMI Graphics +/- Player of the Month for January

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad