2020-2021 St. Louis Blues: Generic Thread Titles Be Damned (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Maybe Bennett now that Thomas is down.

Bennett wants to be traded because he doesn't want to play on the 3rd line, which is basicly where he would play with us. Don't know how long Bozak is still out, but if he's close, we don't need to trade for a C IMO.

(And if we do, I prefer the Brown + 2nd package from Ottawa. Brown still has potential and would be a lot more willing to play 3rd line minutes).

Reactions: CoMoBlues

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Maybe Bennett now that Thomas is down.
Why?

He has 2 points in 10 games this year after a 12 point season in 52 games last year. His possession numbers are awful (likely impacted by decently tough usage) and his $2.55M cap hit means additional salary we would have to shed when Tarasenko is ready. Calgary hasn't trusted him to play center for 2 years, he doesn't kill penalties and his one PP point last year in 38 minutes of PP time tells me that he isn't going to adequately fill Thomas' role on the PP. He hasn't hit the 30 point mark since his rookie year in 2015/16. I feel fairly comfortable that we have at least 9 currently-healthy forwards who are better than Bennett. Right now, I'd take ROR, Schenn, Schwartz, Perron, Hoffman, Kyrou, Sunny, Sanford and Barby over Bennett with no hesitation. I like Blais more than him too.

At his absolute best, he is a defensive 3rd liner. He wouldn't crack our top 6 and our bottom 6 without Bozak/Thomas/Tarasenko is in need of offense, not defense.

Reactions: Celtic Note

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Why?

He has 2 points in 10 games this year after a 12 point season in 52 games last year. His possession numbers are awful (likely impacted by decently tough usage) and his $2.55M cap hit means additional salary we would have to shed when Tarasenko is ready. Calgary hasn't trusted him to play center for 2 years, he doesn't kill penalties and his one PP point last year in 38 minutes of PP time tells me that he isn't going to adequately fill Thomas' role on the PP. He hasn't hit the 30 point mark since his rookie year in 2015/16. I feel fairly comfortable that we have at least 9 currently-healthy forwards who are better than Bennett. Right now, I'd take ROR, Schenn, Schwartz, Perron, Hoffman, Kyrou, Sunny, Sanford and Barby over Bennett with no hesitation. I like Blais more than him too.

At his absolute best, he is a defensive 3rd liner. He wouldn't crack our top 6 and our bottom 6 without Bozak/Thomas/Tarasenko is in need of offense, not defense.
Oh yea? Our 3.17 gaa says otherwise ;)

All jokes aside, I like Bennett because he seems to hit that second gear in the post season. He hasn't shown enough offensively to warrant being moved up to either the 2nd or 1st line, but I think he could do well here with a better bottom 6 than in Calgary. I'm definitely not trading Dunn for him, but a C prospect and a low pick maybe? Idk maybe like a Poganski and a 4th or something cheap is about all I'd offer. I don't care that he is a 4th overall pick, the team doesn't really have anything they can negotiate with. He wants to be traded and his stock is pretty low. Maybe you could bump the pick up to a 3rd and have them take on salary so we don't have to worry about the cap when people start coming back.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Oh yea? Our 3.17 gaa says otherwise ;)

All jokes aside, I like Bennett because he seems to hit that second gear in the post season. He hasn't shown enough offensively to warrant being moved up to either the 2nd or 1st line, but I think he could do well here with a better bottom 6 than in Calgary. I'm definitely not trading Dunn for him, but a C prospect and a low pick maybe? Idk maybe like a Poganski and a 4th or something cheap is about all I'd offer. I don't care that he is a 4th overall pick, the team doesn't really have anything they can negotiate with. He wants to be traded and his stock is pretty low. Maybe you could bump the pick up to a 3rd and have them take on salary so we don't have to worry about the cap when people start coming back.
We aren't allowing a ton of goals against at even strength. We are middle of the pack at 5 on 5, allowing 2.17 goals against per 60 minutes. The PK has been awful and really skews are numbers. At 5 on 5, Clifford and Blais have been on the ice for 2 goals against. Sunny and Barbie have been on the ice for 3. Sanford has allowed 5, but all 5 were while he was on the ice with ROR and Perron. That bottom 6 group is doing a pretty good job playing low-event hockey and keeping the puck out of our net.

I know you weren't blasting the bottom 6 with your comment, but I think it is important to note that the bottom 6 has been doing a very good job at preventing goals. That's why I don't understand the allure of bringing Bennett in. He's been on the ice for 8 goals against at 5 on 5. That's the most on his team, so it is tough to chalk it up to his team being bad defensively. He's usually a lot better defensively and I would expect him to do well defensively in our bottom 6. But I don't think he would be an upgrade over what we currently have and he very well might be a healthy scratch once we are fully healthy. I think he is a depth piece and we have an abundance of depth forwards.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
We aren't allowing a ton of goals against at even strength. We are middle of the pack at 5 on 5, allowing 2.17 goals against per 60 minutes. The PK has been awful and really skews are numbers. At 5 on 5, Clifford and Blais have been on the ice for 2 goals against. Sunny and Barbie have been on the ice for 3. Sanford has allowed 5, but all 5 were while he was on the ice with ROR and Perron. That bottom 6 group is doing a pretty good job playing low-event hockey and keeping the puck out of our net.

I know you weren't blasting the bottom 6 with your comment, but I think it is important to note that the bottom 6 has been doing a very good job at preventing goals. That's why I don't understand the allure of bringing Bennett in. He's been on the ice for 8 goals against at 5 on 5. That's the most on his team, so it is tough to chalk it up to his team being bad defensively. He's usually a lot better defensively and I would expect him to do well defensively in our bottom 6. But I don't think he would be an upgrade over what we currently have and he very well might be a healthy scratch once we are fully healthy. I think he is a depth piece and we have an abundance of depth forwards.
I mean it was a joke but I get it. I've said before the Blues are a really good 5 on 5 team, their special teams have just been awful this year, and Bennett isn't going to help that. However, I did note that the Blues had a better bottom 6 than Calgary, but I think our bottom 6 is pretty underrated whenever everyone is clicking. Our cup run year, that team was dynamite and every line was a force. Obviously with injuries and guys moving around, you're not going to have the same chemistry, but our bottom 6 is something I wouldn't want to trade

Reactions: Brian39

Spear

Anonymous source FOR HIRE
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Blues Vs Yotes Friday 12 and 9pm. This is gonna be a long year....

Aaaaaannnnddd Groundhog day continues. Are we done with those Damn Desert Dawgs after this?? I sure hope so. OH and to Bill Armstrong, YOU OWE US!!! REMEMBER, YOU SHOULD BE FOCUSING ON GETTING HIGH DRAFT PICKS!!!

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Aaaaaannnnddd Groundhog day continues. Are we done with those Damn Desert Dawgs after this?? I sure hope so. OH and to Bill Armstrong, YOU OWE US!!! REMEMBER, YOU SHOULD BE FOCUSING ON GETTING HIGH DRAFT PICKS!!!

They don't have a 1st rounder this year. I don't think they have a second either.... I think he wants the Dogs to make the playoffs.

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I truly hope that the Blues WC for next season VS the Wild will be the white Version of the Home WC they wore Vs Chi. But, I have a horrible horrible feeling it's going to be the White version of our Retro Alt. I want a Home and Away Version of the WC so bad.

FrontYardSpecial

Jan 22, 2014
I truly hope that the Blues WC for next season VS the Wild will be the white Version of the Home WC they wore Vs Chi. But, I have a horrible horrible feeling it's going to be the White version of our Retro Alt. I want a Home and Away Version of the WC so bad.

So basically what they wore in the WC alumni game? I’ve got my fingers crossed. If they bring it back I wouldn’t be opposed to that being the full time home/away set. Such a nice and timeless look.

pi-nhl-blues-kelly-chase-123116.jpg

I’d also be happy with the styles they wore in the mid-80s to early 90s with the script or rounded note.

Blues10.png

Blues14.png

Reactions: mk80

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
So basically what they wore in the WC alumni game? I’ve got my fingers crossed. If they bring it back I wouldn’t be opposed to that being the full time home/away set. Such a nice and timeless look.

I’d also be happy with the styles they wore in the mid-80s to early 90s with the script or rounded note.

Blues10.png

Blues14.png
Yep yep. Except with the more narrow logo like on the WC jersey. And agreed with replacing the home and away with the Classics.

Reactions: mk80

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

These are perfection. I like these even better than the home powder blues, but I'm also a staunch "white at home, dark on the road" guy. Make those two our everyday set and throw the clown jerseys or the 2010s navy sweaters in as our alternates and I'd be fine.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
We need to sit number 55. He is at best 80% and I feel a negative when on the ice. No mobiliy. I don’t understand why he is dressing, give him 2 weeks off and get him somewhat healthy.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
We need to sit number 55. He is at best 80% and I feel a negative when on the ice. No mobiliy. I don’t understand why he is dressing, give him 2 weeks off and get him somewhat healthy.
Can you imagine the pairings with him off the ice?

Some combination of:
Faulk
Krug
Dunn
Mikkola
Bortuzzo
Gunnerson

Maybe it is in our long-term interests to rest him, but short-term would be rough even with him at 80 or so percent.

I could see resting him for a game or two of the upcoming SJ series, but I am not sure about a full two weeks.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003

Some combination of:
Faulk
Krug
Dunn
Mikkola
Bortuzzo
Gunnerson

Maybe it is in our long-term interests to rest him, but short-term would be rough even with him at 80 or so percent.

I could see resting him for a game or two of the upcoming SJ series, but I am not sure about a full two weeks.

I think anyone would be a better fit right now. I would almost rather see Walman at this point. He is a liability at this point. Cant cover, has a hard time turning, his skating is a massive negative right now. I think he hurts more then helps.

Reactions: LGB

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

Some combination of:
Faulk
Krug
Dunn
Mikkola
Bortuzzo
Gunnerson

Not mention the fact that Gunnarsson doesn’t appear to be an NHL caliber defenseman anymore. He’s immobile, ineffective, and no amount of experience and Hockey IQ seems to be able to make up for his physical limitations anymore.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Not mention the fact that Gunnarsson doesn’t appear to be an NHL caliber defenseman anymore. He’s immobile, ineffective, and no amount of experience and Hockey IQ seems to be able to make up for his physical limitations anymore.
The calculus might change when Scandella returns, but one-armed Parayko is still one of our best 6 defenseman at this point.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019

Some combination of:
Faulk
Krug
Dunn
Mikkola
Bortuzzo
Gunnerson

I'd have no problem rolling out
Faulk - Krug
Dunn - Bortuzzo
as our top 4. The question is can Mikkola and either Gunnarson or Walman be a passable bottom pairing. It's very weird to see him out there when he's obviously not even close to 100%. Though I would hope they think he's not at risk of making it worse or hindering his recovery or else there's no way he should be in the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad