2020-2021 St. Louis Blues: Generic Thread Titles Be Damned (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I want to see more of de la Rose and less of Gunnarsson.

Parayko is clearly not himself, he's impaired. I'm not crazy about Scandella, but his return will be welcome.

Reactions: TK 421

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I understand that sitting a young player is part of the learning process, but Mikkola really has to play right now. At least until Scandella returns. I would also like to see Parayko take a break.

Reactions: Ranksu and Renard

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I’m guessing the Dunn trade has been placed on hold for a while since Perunovich is now out for the year, Gunnarsson looks like a senior citizen, and we have been hit pretty hard with injuries. We likely keep him and just let him go in the Summer, whether that’s through trade or in the expansion draft.

Reactions: Reality Czech

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I’m guessing the Dunn trade has been placed on hold for a while since Perunovich is now out for the year, Gunnarsson looks like a senior citizen, and we have been hit pretty hard with injuries. We likely keep him and just let him go in the Summer, whether that’s through trade or in the expansion draft.
Yeah, I agree. And I am good with that.

Reactions: BlueDream

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
<moved from Hoffman-thread, to not derail that discussion>
It really all depends on the health of Tarasenko and what you can negotiate with Schwartz and Dunn (assuming none are traded). Personally, I wont be sold Vova is healthy until he plays a full season without any issues. He has had too many surgeries on that massive meat suit he's got, and I just don't trust it. Same goes for Schwartz. Dude gets hurt every season and I'm worried he's gonna end up like Lupul, literally made of glass towards the end of his career.

Even if Schwartz only gives you 60-games per season; they're #1 LW minutes by almost any measure. Schwartz at this point in his career is a more talented Alex Steen, responsible at both ends of the ice, playing hard minutes and making a positive impact. You just hope he's healthy by the time the playoffs roll around; and so far every year he has been.

He's really only had one significant injury - back in '15-'16 when he missed more than half the season...but even then he was back by the post-season scoring 14 points in 20-games, so really tough to give any criticism for being injured. In his other 7 professional seasons (excluding the current) he's topped 60-games played in all 7, and 70-games played in five of them. He's prone to miss a couple of weeks throughout the season; but that's why you have depth...to stay afloat until guys like him can return to the lineup.

Reactions: Brian39

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

Yeah, I don't think it was that imminent anyway. Perhaps it was floated just to gauge the market or send a message to a struggling player. The wake-up call seems to have had it's intended effect, as Dunn has played a much better all around game since he was benched. Plus, him and Bortuzzo just seem to fit well...guess they are used to playing together and their strengths compliment each other well.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.

I’m really interested in what we do now, because when Vladi gets back we’re 1.2 mil over the cap. Does someone like Sanford or Blais get dealt? Or do we move Gunnarsson instead?

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I’m really interested in what we do now, because when Vladi gets back we’re 1.2 mil over the cap. Does someone like Sanford or Blais get dealt? Or do we move Gunnarsson instead?
I think they could save most of that by assigning Gunnarsson to the taxi squad (in Perunovich’s spot, since he’s done for the year now). He’d have to pass through waivers and then they’d run with a 22 man roster. Hard to think he’d be claimed, but if so then they’d have enough cap space from that.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I think they could save most of that by assigning Gunnarsson to the taxi squad (in Perunovich’s spot, since he’s done for the year now). He’d have to pass through waivers and then they’d run with a 22 man roster. Hard to think he’d be claimed, but if so then they’d have enough cap space from that.

Only $1 mil gets saved by that. Still would be $200K+ over.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
We were significantly out-hit in the Arizona series, out-hit 30-16 in the last game.

That is surprising to see. You can't always score in a game, but you can always hit if you are hustling.

The return of Blais will help in this regard. But others need to help.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
We need to sit number 55. He is at best 80% and I feel a negative when on the ice. No mobiliy. I don’t understand why he is dressing, give him 2 weeks off and get him somewhat healthy.
He wears an A and is without question a top pairing NHL D man. Unless the doctor says he is risking his health, the decision about gutting through the pain should be 100% his. It is hyperbole to say that he is a liability and not one of our best 6 D men right now. Despite defense-heavy usage, his GF% is exactly 50% at 5 on 5. His xGF% is not as good at 47.2, but that is only a slight drop from last year. Possession stats have never been kind to Parayko and other defensive guys. He is playing 22 minutes a night, is 2nd on the team in PK time and is consistently going against top 6 competition. His actual results have been that of an average top 4 NHL D man in a top 4 role and he is still a drastically better option than Walman, Gunnar, etc.

NHLers across the board value playing through injuries. Along with being boring in interviews, that is the biggest piece of hockey culture. You really piss off veterans when you take that decision out of their hands for a non-medically-necessary reasons. You would almost certainly be pissing off a big piece of your new leadership group. It is also really difficult to preach "hard-nosed hockey" and sacrificing for teammates when you sit guys down who don't want to be sat down.

If Parayko comes to the staff and says he needs time off, then you talk about it. You absolutely shouldn't sit him down otherwise because he is still very far from being an actual liability out there. He looks very bad compared to his normal self, but he is still fine in comparison to your average NHL D man.

Last edited:

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
He wears an A and is without question a top pairing NHL D man. Unless the doctor says he is risking his health, the decision about gutting through the pain should be 100% his. It is hyperbole to say that he is a liability and not one of our best 6 D men right now. Despite defense-heavy usage, his GF% is exactly 50% at 5 on 5. His xGF% is not as good at 47.2, but that is only a slight drop from last year. He is playing 22 minutes a night, is 2nd on the team in PK time and is consistently going against top 6 competition. His actual results have been that of an average top 4 NHL D man in a top 4 role and he is still a drastically better option than Walman, Gunnar, etc.

NHLers across the board value playing through injuries. Along with being boring in interviews, that is the biggest piece of hockey culture. You really piss off veterans when you take that decision out of their hands for a non-medically-necessary reasons. You would almost certainly be pissing off a big piece of your new leadership group. It is also really difficult to preach "hard-nosed hockey" and sacrificing for teammates when you sit guys down who don't want to be sat down.

If Parayko comes to the staff and says he needs time off, then you talk about it. You absolutely shouldn't sit him down otherwise because he is still very far from being an actual liability out there. He lokos very bad compared to his normal self, but he is still fine in comparison to your average NHL D man.
His xG share is mostly held up by his minutes with Krug in the first few games.

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 7.13.30 PM.png

I find it interesting how high Parayko's FA/60 (unblocked shots against per 60) is compared to the rest of the team and how it even stays constant when paired with Krug. That signals to me that the Blues are probably hemmed in their own end a lot with Parayko on the ice. Since then he's been paired with Scandella, Dunn, and now Gunnarsson all with very poor results.

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 11.23.40 AM.png

Every pairing he's been on besides with Krug has really struggled to generate offense. We can try pairing him with Krug again, but considering how poorly he's played with everyone else I wonder if his results with Krug were a bit of an anomaly. You're right it's hard to imagine us sitting him, but I'm not so sure he isn't a liability.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Hey you know who he hasn't been paired with?

Niko Mikkola. Because apparently an old, slow Carl Gunnarson who no longer should be seeing NHL ice is a better option.

Reactions: Ranksu

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Hey you know who he hasn't been paired with?

Niko Mikkola. Because apparently an old, slow Carl Gunnarson who no longer should be seeing NHL ice is a better option.
We are alone with this vision. Majority are fine if Gunnar plays over Mikkola.

Imo I see Mikkola is misused asset in Blues. Same like Faulk hasnt used at PP which I have been vocal since he was acquired in Blues.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
We are alone with this vision. Majority are fine if Gunnar plays over Mikkola.

Imo I see Mikkola is misused asset in Blues. Same like Faulk hasnt used at PP which I have been vocal since he was acquired in Blues.

They missed a chance to pair them last game and it was a perfect opportunity. It's tough watching every possible combo get paired and yet not the one that makes the most sense to me. Put Mikkola-Parayko out there and give it a shot.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
They missed a chance to pair them last game and it was a perfect opportunity. It's tough watching every possible combo get paired and yet not the one that makes the most sense to me. Put Mikkola-Parayko out there and give it a shot.
I think we have heard views that it's too soon Mikkola take that spot. @Brian39 refer it that maybe later in this season it's right time for Mikkola - Parayko try-out.

In my eyes now should be time for it try-out, 'cus Scandella is out and when he's healthy he'll automatically slide with Parayko and we have missed try-out.

It wouldn't kill Mikkola to get that change, even it wouldn't work. I could take a bet Mikkola - Parayko are perfect d-pair.

I have say it since we draft Mikkola.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad