Speculation: 2020-2021 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
So if we assume one of Blichfeld, Chekhovich, Dahlen, or one of our many winger prospects make the jump to play next season with the Sharks, who do we trade and for what?

IMO another factor is if they continue with this 5-game Karl & Goon style, that should also show which players are less-essential moving forward.

In general, I think most of the roster is probably not super essential. But, position depth, contract, and compatibility will determine who moves first. And I guess if a large contract like Burns or Couture were to go, then that could open up cap space for more moves. Until then, it might be minor moves and low risk bets, while gauging who fits in with the new ways.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
There's some news getting out there today that the Sharks may void Kane's contract

Are you sure we can’t get Vlasic to be the fall guy? :sarcasm:

I know he has problems, but the Sharks would basically be going full tank by just getting rid of their second-highest scoring forward for nothing

If you think Kane will still be living up to his contract in two years, then you keep him. If not, you let him loose, hypothetically. I’m on the fence about what I would do to be honest.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
Jones can be bought out at a reasonable v cost after the 2021-2022 season, which coincidentally is after next year’s draft, which we should definitely be tanking for. I think (hope?) this is the plan.

As for Vlasic, unfortunately his contract is pretty buy-out proof. We have to find a way to unload him. Or LTIRetire him I guess.

I suspect the hardest part to swallow with buying Vlasic out is he is still more than capable of being the team's 5th Dman. I also think he can still play a top 4 role provided he is paired correctly.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I suspect the hardest part to swallow with buying Vlasic out is he is still more than capable of being the team's 5th Dman. I also think he can still play a top 4 role provided he is paired correctly.
I don't think Vlasic has shown that to be true, but I do think that a lot of his problems are mental over physical.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
Here, we disagree. I think Vlasic is a net negative influence on this team, contract aside.

IMO he has looked fine since Karlsson went out. I was actually surprised by how well he is playing his off-side since he was paired with Simek.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020

Who haven't the Sharks paired Vlasic with over the last two seasons?

Since the start of the 18-19 season, Vlasic has played at least 100 five-on-five minutes with every significant Sharks defenseman except Brenden Dillon, Joakim Ryan, and Jacob Middleton. Vlasic is dragging every single one of his partners down and has been for three years now.

If contracts were taken entirely out of the equation, right now I'd play almost every single significant defenseman the Sharks have had over the last three years over Vlasic. He's a boat anchor who does not belong on an NHL team. It's not his deployment, or his defense partners that are hurting his performance, it's him. The best the Sharks can do, without getting rid of him, is to shelter him extremely heavily or bench him. He should be playing the fewest minutes of any Sharks defenseman right now.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
How would the sharks get away with voiding a contract when it comes to players. They need some damning evidence for it to be allowed.

Exactly. Without Kane's agreement, the union and the league will have none of it.

If Kane agrees, then it's just a cheap stunt to bolster his claims in bankruptcy court.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
How would the sharks get away with voiding a contract when it comes to players. They need some damning evidence for it to be allowed.

If Kane is going along with this for his own benefit, all it would really take is for him not to report at any given time.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
The beginning of the article claims that it's both the Sharks and Kane going for it

And allow Kane to become a FA?

Bankruptcy judge should be able to see right through it, and it may expose the Sharks organization to lawsuits. Plus, doesn't this require league approval?

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I'm mixed on kane. The sharks need him or at least needs assets for him. They can't just drop a top six forward

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
And allow Kane to become a FA?

Bankruptcy judge should be able to see right through it, and it may expose the Sharks organization to lawsuits. Plus, doesn't this require league approval?

What's there to see through to the point of not acknowledging it as a legitimate course of action? The team does have that option. It requiring league approval doesn't make it any less legitimate. It's not likely to happen but as a negotiating tactic, it's likely effective for the purpose of going through this process.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
I think terminating Kane makes a lot of sense. Hes good now but so inconsistent. The capspace will be more important for a rebuild

Perhaps the Sharks could instead give Kane a raise to help pay off his debts. Then play the void card on Jones' contract. ;)

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
I think terminating Kane makes a lot of sense. Hes good now but so inconsistent. The capspace will be more important for a rebuild

don’t think Sharks will go full rebuild but even if they did cap space wouldn’t be a concern then as they’d be selling off assets for picks/prospects etc.

If just re-tooling (and getting a not-league-worst-goalie hopefully) then Kane at 7M is not that bad a contract. Unless the off ice issues are causing problems beyond Kane’s personal life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad