Speculation: 2020-2021 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
On Melnichuk - I wonder if the team is intentionally not playing him in the NHL until he gets more reps in the A. If he's the best goalie prospect we have, its best not to rush him, right? I he gets a start or 2 in March and maybe 3 or 4 in April.

I’d be shocked if Eichel, Hall or Staal are on the team post deadline.I think any team taking on Eichel would want at least a season and some to see if he’s a good fit before they’re stuck with him for better or worse.

Rumors are Oilers are interested in Staal. Too bad for him. Family cozy in Minnesota, gets traded to the wasteland, then maybe to the other wasteland?? brutal

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
At the end of the day, there’s no way Doug Wilson buys out both Jones and Vlasic, especially Vlasic. GMs tend not to buy out long-term contracts that they themselves signed, although it’s not unheard of. Jones at least is palatable. I just don’t think DW can swallow having to buy out Vlasic too.

Fun fact I learned in my brief look into the history of buyouts: the first ever NHL player to be bought out? Curtis Brown. :laugh:
Blackhawks, right?

I think he signed in San Jose again after :laugh:

Reactions: Sandisfan

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I’d be shocked if Eichel, Hall or Staal are on the team post deadline.I think any team taking on Eichel would want at least a season and some to see if he’s a good fit before they’re stuck with him for better or worse.
I just don't see how they move Eichel mid season. Too much salary. Hall they can retain on since he's just a rental.

I have always loved Staal. Not sure what he has left but if the Sharks could get him cheap he would sure help the depth problem this season. Perfect for the 3rd line center spot and maybe even wing with Hertl. Contract up at the end of the year so doesn't really hurt anything as long as he doesn't cost much. That's just a vanity trade for me though. No way should the Sharks actually add him.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
On Melnichuk - I wonder if the team is intentionally not playing him in the NHL until he gets more reps in the A. If he's the best goalie prospect we have, its best not to rush him, right? I he gets a start or 2 in March and maybe 3 or 4 in April.

Rumors are Oilers are interested in Staal. Too bad for him. Family cozy in Minnesota, gets traded to the wasteland, then maybe to the other wasteland?? brutal
His contract is up end of this season anyway and I think he has a some type of NTC so he may get to choose if he wants to go to the Oilers.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
If Hertl comes back and plays below expectations, how much do you think management will chalk up to COVID?

I think it will obviously come down to his physical condition while he was out (which only the team would know), but would a team publicly attribute poor play to COVID?

I was thinking about how Cassidy said "We feel we're not getting the effort required" about DeBrusk. Like, what if he had COVID (not speculating he does)? Should players who had it be held to different standards?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
If Hertl comes back and plays below expectations, how much do you think management will chalk up to COVID?

I think it will obviously come down to his physical condition while he was out (which only the team would know), but would a team publicly attribute poor play to COVID?

I was thinking about how Cassidy said "We feel we're not getting the effort required" about DeBrusk. Like, what if he had COVID (not speculating he does)? Should players who had it be held to different standards?

I’ll be honest and say I’m highly concerned about Hertl. He’s never had the best stamina and conditioning to begin with. He could come back perfectly fine, but I’m concerned.

Reactions: Gecklund

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
They should, if no appealing trade is there, buy out both Jones and Vlasic. Neither can stay past this season.
No way Vlasic is bought out. Paying him for 10 years is just not a starting point anyone should be getting behind. Jones is far more reasonable without the signing bonuses muddying things and without near as much term. Unless the magical compliance buyout fairy comes along, they’ll have to find another way to get rid of him.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
At the end of the day, there’s no way Doug Wilson buys out both Jones and Vlasic, especially Vlasic. GMs tend not to buy out long-term contracts that they themselves signed, although it’s not unheard of. Jones at least is palatable. I just don’t think DW can swallow having to buy out Vlasic too.

Fun fact I learned in my brief look into the history of buyouts: the first ever NHL player to be bought out? Curtis Brown. :laugh:

I hope for everyone involved, other than other teams involved, that there's a viable trade available. I'd much prefer to see a trade even if it means retain 1-1.5 mil than a buyout but I just can't see either player staying on this team past this season. All I'm saying is that if it came down to buying both of them out and either of them staying here, I'm taking the former but it's not my money obviously. lol

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
No way Vlasic is bought out. Paying him for 10 years is just not a starting point anyone should be getting behind. Jones is far more reasonable without the signing bonuses muddying things and without near as much term. Unless the magical compliance buyout fairy comes along, they’ll have to find another way to get rid of him.

Vlasic is clearly sunken cost no matter how it ends. They may end up only saving 9 mil over the life of the buyout but it's simply the better option as opposed to keeping him. Of course a trade is the best solution. I'd rather eat 1.5-2 mil over five years than a 10 year dead cap hit but keeping him simply should be an unacceptable alternative at this stage.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
I would guess Bordeleau is being thought of to be in the 3C mix with Gambrell a lock for either 3C or 4C ...

Would be a bad idea, imo.

Bordeleau is - right now - our best prospect. While we're in a painful rebuild, I'd much rather see him developing in a good NCAA franchise like Michigan rather than rush him in to be a 3C.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Would be a bad idea, imo.

Bordeleau is - right now - our best prospect. While we're in a painful rebuild, I'd much rather see him developing in a good NCAA franchise like Michigan rather than rush him in to be a 3C.

Why? He'd be better off playing here. Rebuilding just means he gets more opportunities here.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
So if we assume one of Blichfeld, Chekhovich, Dahlen, or one of our many winger prospects make the jump to play next season with the Sharks, who do we trade and for what?
If possible I’d love to move one of those for a C prospect. Maybe someone like Logan Brown? Just the first name that came up as a young prospect who hasn’t quite fit in. Unless Gambrell Chmelevski or Gregor take a big step forward to be able to successfully fill in that 3C hole.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If possible I’d love to move one of those for a C prospect. Maybe someone like Logan Brown? Just the first name that came up as a young prospect who hasn’t quite fit in. Unless Gambrell Chmelevski or Gregor take a big step forward to be able to successfully fill in that 3C hole.

The team definitely needs more center, d-men, and goalie prospects for sure. Luckily, the need isn't super crucial other than center really. Goaltending, I assume, is being addressed externally and with Melnichuk down the road.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The team definitely needs more center, d-men, and goalie prospects for sure. Luckily, the need isn't super crucial other than center really. Goaltending, I assume, is being addressed externally and with Melnichuk down the road.
Yeah I wouldn’t trade for any goalie prospects unless they’re already backing up in the NHL. They are just so unpredictable. But I’d be open to getting either C or D prospects. I think we have a few good D prospects with Merkley, Kniazev, Hatakka to go with Ferraro. I left off Knyzhov and Paschinuk because I don’t think they’ll be anything above 3rd pair. Hatakka will probably end up in that second list or lower but I really like him. At C we really only have Chmelevski, Bordeleau unless you think Robins will be a C and/or Spiridonov will be something at C. Yeah we got Gregor and Gambrell but to me Gregor will end up a winger and Gambrell is already 24 and hasn’t really shown much in the NHL and if you asked me before this season, he showed nothing.

Unrelated:
You know it really sucks that our goalies are so bad. I think a competent goalie this team is in a VERY different situation.

Kane-Couture-Chekhovich
Timo-Hertl-Balcers
Donato-Gambrell-Labanc
Nieto-True-Marleau

Simek-EK
Ferraro-Burns
Knyzhov-Vlasic

Doesn’t look too bad if everyone is healthy. We could even have like a Jack Campbell type behind that and probably make the playoffs.

Last edited:

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Is this a common issue for NHL players with over 1,000 games played?

upload_2021-3-10_9-37-39.jpeg

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yeah I wouldn’t trade for any goalie prospects unless they’re already backing up in the NHL. They are just so unpredictable. But I’d be open to getting either C or D prospects. I think we have a few good D prospects with Merkley, Kniazev, Hatakka to go with Ferraro. I left off Knyzhov and Paschinuk because I don’t think they’ll be anything above 3rd pair. Hatakka will probably end up in that second list or lower but I really like him. At C we really only have Chmelevski, Bordeleau unless you think Robins will be a C and/or Spiridonov will be something at C. Yeah we got Gregor and Gambrell but to me Gregor will end up a winger and Gambrell is already 24 and hasn’t really shown much in the NHL and if you asked me before this season, he showed nothing.

I agree on the goalie prospect thing. I'm alright with drafting them in the late rounds 4-7 or grabbing undrafted ones or not even bothering and just signing them via UFA. They're just too volatile to invest into, imo. I agree that our D prospects are sufficient for the time being and certainly on the left side. With Ferraro and Knyzhov stepping up pretty solidly into the 1st and 2nd pair roles, I think we're fine there for a while. Hatakka, Kniazev, and Pasichnuk will likely get that 3rd pairing once we've removed Vlasic and probably Simek. I like Simek in the 3rd pair role but he's expendable and they have youth capable of stepping into that role. My issue there is the right side. I like Merkley but he's risky and they need to start planning for filling that 3rd pairing role and Burns' spot so they need more competition there. At C, I don't know if Sasha is going to make that jump. I also think Robins will end up converting to wing. It'll be interesting to see if the Sharks give Reedy a chance or not given his pretty solid year with Minnesota but I don't think he's anything more than a 3C. I think our C hopes truly lie in Bordeleau and Coe but I don't see elite potential out of them. Bordeleau can definitely be a solid 2C though.

I agree that Gregor will be a winger. Gambrell is a 4C at this point. He's gotten numerous shots and he's made some advancements in his game but not enough to warrant anything above the 4th line. I'm typically not overly concerned about the draft. BPA and work with what you have. If you get an abundance of wingers, use them as trade chips for what you need. They're currently sitting in the 9th spot if I'm not mistaken. That's in the Aatu Raty range. I like Brandt Clarke and pretty much any of the LHD's in the top ten would be good pickups but we'd need to prepare to get value out of the LHD's we have further ahead in their development because any of them would likely be better than Knyzhov or any of the three we've talked about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad