Speculation: 2020-2021 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
I’d keep...

Hertl, Couture, Donato, Labanc (maybe), Ferraro, Kane, Karlsson, Knyzhov and possibly Burns (unless he can get us a big return).

The rest we trade for picks/prospects.
So you would like to trade Meier? That's a likely outcome given our cap limitations. But given his play the last two seasons his return won't be massive unless he turns it around next season

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Is $8/8 a reasonable expectation for Hertl, given that he's actually pretty comparable to Couture (essentially a 60-65 point center for the three years prior to his extension being signed, plus some significant injury concerns), but will be a year younger? Covid screws with things, of course.

I love Hertl, but even I would not give him 8x8. His injury history is just too extensive to give an 8 year contract to him at 29? years old. Also while he can score 70+ points, he has only done that once, and thus paying something like that 8 mil is potential disaster in the making, and the Sharks certainly do not need any more overpaid, aging, and underperforming players.

If he wants 8ish I would go no more than like 3-4 years. If he values the term over the AAV I honestly dont know if I would sign him long term at any fair rate, so unless he wants to take something like 4-5mil over 8 years I would trade him.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
I’d keep...

Hertl, Couture, Donato, Labanc (maybe), Ferraro, Kane, Karlsson, Knyzhov and possibly Burns (unless he can get us a big return).

I'd trade Couture and float one of Burns or Karlsson to see who can net the bigger return.

But yeah, Hertl, Donato, Labanc, Ferraro, Kane and Knyzhov should stay (barring someone offering something stupid for any of them or if theyre part of a package for like McDavid or Eichel).

Reactions: Jargon

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I'd trade Couture and float one of Burns or Karlsson to see who can net the bigger return.

But yeah, Hertl, Donato, Labanc, Ferraro, Kane and Knyzhov should stay (barring someone offering something stupid for any of them or if theyre part of a package for like McDavid or Eichel).

Yeah I'm not super attached to Couture -- I think that Karlsson is younger than Burns and makes the most sense to keep. I'm fairly done with Meier, he just irritates me.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
I’d keep...

98cad29e-c37d-4328-aff5-d989c8fe5232_text.gif

I like Donato, but it's disheartening to realize that the sharks' most exciting forward "prospects" are a 25yo on his 3rd team and a guy they traded a couple years ago.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Is $8/8 a reasonable expectation for Hertl, given that he's actually pretty comparable to Couture (essentially a 60-65 point center for the three years prior to his extension being signed, plus some significant injury concerns), but will be a year younger? Covid screws with things, of course.
Think that feels high. Not sure who else in the league would approach anywhere near that sort of contract for Hertl should he hit the open market. I think you can get a deal done at 5-6 years and $7 million or so given the injury history and production. Think hockey has hit its MLB moment where teams are going to stop throwing out 7-8 year deals for good, but not elite, players. I think about the cultural shift we saw at the forefront in MLB when Harper and Machado had to beg nobody teams to get a long-term big money deal. If 8x8 is the ask, I am trading Hertl immediately because there is a 0% chance that turns into a good deal.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
No way I'm signing any player, let alone one with the injury record of Hertl, to an 8 year contract. This team has shown what happens when you give too many players long-term contracts. The Sharks should be looking to move out these contracts, to increase flexibility not to just replace them with another bad contract.

Reactions: Dicdonya
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad