Speculation: 2020-2021 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Everything I have read about him from his teammates over the years contradicts that. Were they all lying or.....?

Thornton was definitely hard on his teammates in a tough love sort of way. He and Clowe almost came to blows in between periods or after a game, Boyle got caught in the cross fire and broke his nose. He never was afraid to call guys out publicly

Reactions: Sandisfan

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Everything I have read about him from his teammates over the years contradicts that. Were they all lying or.....?

Everything that came out around the time that pavs was named captain said that thornton was a bully and harsh on his team mates when they were not playing up to par.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Lol no one likes him so curious where he ends up
Honestly probably sitting on his couch. I don’t think anyone picks him up because of his cap hit and I don’t think anyone trades for him for the same reason. I think his ego is too big to accept heading to the AHL and I think the Rangers are done with his attitude on the NHL squad. He will end up having his contract terminated for refusing to report.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Even though the cake has been iced, boxed, and tied with a bow, if the rumor that Tony D got punched by a teammate after provoking them is true IDK how he stays in the league. How many strikes is he worth to a team? we'll find out i guess

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
No. We dont have capspace or a need for a Dman who cant play defense. Hes gotta be a useful player for someone but not us. Also I cant imagine it would go well with Evander on the team

I don’t think “no” is a strong enough word for how little I want that person on our team.

Short answer: No

Long answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Hell no. Guy is basically Tim Heed with draft pedigree and character issues.

So i don't know but i am guessing it is a no lol

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Doug Wilson is going to claim him - I am almost positive. He is exactly what we need to get Erik Karlsson to step his game up.

Brent Burns, Tony DeAngelo and Erik Karlsson are going to compete for minutes.

Making players earn their spot is like such a cliche Doug Wilson move, especially when they are losing.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Doug Wilson is going to claim him - I am almost positive. He is exactly what we need to get Erik Karlsson to step his game up.

Making players earn their spot is like such a cliche Doug Wilson move, especially when they are losing.
Dont think we have cap room

Reactions: ChompChomp

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach

Pretty sure if we claimed him, we’d hear about him and Kane getting into fights every day.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
I could put up points if my only real responsibility was pass to Panarin or Zibanejad.

Karlsson's point total would drop if his only responsibility was to throw passes at players that can't catch them. Oh wait . . . :sarcasm:

"He was on my radar because he committed to BU. Plus, he looked better than Goldy in Sarnia." -- Tim Burke

On the plus side, he might add that spirit that's been missing on and off the ice. Maybe it'd be a catalyst.

Reactions: Gecklund

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

Let me make sure I understand this correctly, you are citing an article which suggests Thornton having a sense of humor that rubs some young players the wrong way is proof he is not a fun loving sort of a guy in the locker room? Having a sense of humor = proof he is not fun loving. Got it....

"He gets read wrong a lot of times. He's just this happy, joking person, and people think he's not that serious," he said. "But I've never played with a teammate who rehabbed harder or more often than him. If it's suggested you rehab two to three times per day, he would do 10. That's why he's still playing." - Douglas Murray (who also almost fought Thornton in practice because of his on-ice intensity)

I Googled "Joe Thornton locker room" and even the Leafs are saying what other Sharks players have said over the years:

"Kerfoot hinted that Thornton’s absence would absolutely hurt the team. Although the Maple Leafs’ have other guys who can step up to replace Thornton on the ice, “in the locker he’s amazing,” Kerfoot noted"

'Kerfoot wrapped it up by saying that Thornton was just “one of those guys” that “we’re lucky to have him on our team … we’re going to miss him and hope that’s not for too long.”'

"The feelings of his teammates seem universal. Thornton is a good player, but he’s also an inspirational player whose leadership is perhaps best shown in the locker room. He brings positive energy and inspiration to the younger players.

That he’s noted for his infectious personality, his inspiration for his teammates to work hard, and the fact that he’s a magnet for good feelings and positive energy on the team. Perhaps, the 41-year-old Thornton can be replaced on the ice, but he’ll not so easily be replaced in the team’s locker room."

Maple Leafs Will Never Replace Joe Thornton in the Locker Room (thehockeywriters.com)

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Let me make sure I understand this correctly, you are citing an article which suggests Thornton having a sense of humor that rubs some young players the wrong way is proof he is not a fun loving sort of a guy in the locker room? Having a sense of humor = proof he is not fun loving. Got it....

"He gets read wrong a lot of times. He's just this happy, joking person, and people think he's not that serious," he said. "But I've never played with a teammate who rehabbed harder or more often than him. If it's suggested you rehab two to three times per day, he would do 10. That's why he's still playing." - Douglas Murray (who also almost fought Thornton in practice because of his on-ice intensity)

I Googled "Joe Thornton locker room" and even the Leafs are saying what other Sharks players have said over the years:

"Kerfoot hinted that Thornton’s absence would absolutely hurt the team. Although the Maple Leafs’ have other guys who can step up to replace Thornton on the ice, “in the locker he’s amazing,” Kerfoot noted"

'Kerfoot wrapped it up by saying that Thornton was just “one of those guys” that “we’re lucky to have him on our team … we’re going to miss him and hope that’s not for too long.”'

"The feelings of his teammates seem universal. Thornton is a good player, but he’s also an inspirational player whose leadership is perhaps best shown in the locker room. He brings positive energy and inspiration to the younger players.

That he’s noted for his infectious personality, his inspiration for his teammates to work hard, and the fact that he’s a magnet for good feelings and positive energy on the team. Perhaps, the 41-year-old Thornton can be replaced on the ice, but he’ll not so easily be replaced in the team’s locker room."

Maple Leafs Will Never Replace Joe Thornton in the Locker Room (thehockeywriters.com)

Canadian humour can be fun loving in the eye of the beholder and rough around the edges to the uninitiated. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: