Speculation: 2020-2021 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I wonder if, as a motivation tactic, Boughner has told Marleau his spot in the lineup is not guaranteed.

similarly, what if he takes another step back, the kids take a few forward, and the sharks are competing for the playoffs, would Boughner health bomb him?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
@OrrNumber4

It was 2 different meanings. Other teams wanted him, but tampa did not and then threatened him with the ahl if he did not waive his no trade clause.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I wonder if, as a motivation tactic, Boughner has told Marleau his spot in the lineup is not guaranteed.

similarly, what if he takes another step back, the kids take a few forward, and the sharks are competing for the playoffs, would Boughner health bomb him?

I sincerely doubt he’s had to tell him directly that. Pretty sure everyone knows other than the top guys that their spots aren’t guaranteed.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
@OrrNumber4

It was 2 different meanings. Other teams wanted him, but tampa did not and then threatened him with the ahl if he did not waive his no trade clause.

They threatened that Atlanta would be where he ended up if he didn’t waive. Orr is just practicing revisionist history when it comes to Boyle. The concerns he brought up may have been his but were nowhere near popular opinion.

jarr92

May 7, 2013
My baseless prediction for the opening night lineup:

Meier-Couture-Labanc
Kane-Hertl-Donato
Marleau-Gregor-Gambrell
Sorenson-Handemark-Noesen

Vlasic-Karlsson
Ferraro-Burns
Simek-Middleton

Jones 1A
Dubnyk 1B

End of year record prediction: 24-26-6, 54 points, #5 in division and miss playoffs. Receive #7 slot in draft lottery.

Vegas betting line has the Sharks tied at #4 with Minnesota, Arizona, and Los Angeles for division championship probability. Hope I'm wrong, but either way Sharks hockey is back :D

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco

I'd like to think that, but a part of me thinks DW only re-signed Marleau to chase the record. He might not even have a contract if he wasn't so close to it.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
I'd like to think that, but a part of me thinks DW only re-signed Marleau to chase the record. He might not even have a contract if he wasn't so close to it.
My guess as well. I think he brought him back to get the record and appease the fans if we bomb again next year.

jarr92

May 7, 2013

I mean.. DW got a 3rd rounder for Marleau at the trade deadline last season. I would say he met expectations, at least while playing for the Sharks. If PM does the same thing this season while passing the record, that would be a win in my book IMO.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Erep

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Imagine how upset some people would be if Marleau passed Howe's combined NHL/WHA games. He only needs five full seasons after 2021!
With no lockouts and the pandemic Marleau would be at 1855 games already. He’d be so close! Just 335 to go.

Reactions: Sandisfan

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
My baseless prediction for the opening night lineup:

Meier-Couture-Labanc
Kane-Hertl-Donato
Marleau-Gregor-Gambrell
Sorenson-Handemark-Noesen

Vlasic-Karlsson
Ferraro-Burns
Simek-Middleton

Jones 1A
Dubnyk 1B

End of year record prediction: 24-26-6, 54 points, #5 in division and miss playoffs. Receive #7 slot in draft lottery.

Vegas betting line has the Sharks tied at #4 with Minnesota, Arizona, and Los Angeles for division championship probability. Hope I'm wrong, but either way Sharks hockey is back :D
You don't figure Leonard into the lineup? Boughner seems to have grown a fondness of him. Last scrimmage wasn't he practicing with Kane/Hertl too?

That said, I agree with your third line, though maybe replacing Marleau with Leonard/Donato? This team has a lot to prove with *their forward depth*

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
You don't figure Leonard into the lineup? Boughner seems to have grown a fondness of him. Last scrimmage wasn't he practicing with Kane/Hertl too?

That said, I agree with your third line, though maybe replacing Marleau with Leonard/Donato? This team has a lot to prove with
From what it seems, Leonard is a lock. It's not like there's a lot of depth in front of him.

Reactions: JohnLennon

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

That said, I agree with your third line, though maybe replacing Marleau with Leonard/Donato? This team has a lot to prove with *their forward depth*
I'm expecting the below to be our opening top 9. I'm pretty high on Leonard and Gregor myself so I feel like this has the potential to be a solid top 9 out of the gate which would be a major improvement over what we ended the season with last year. Here's hoping they can compete without getting totally caved in.

Kane-Hertl-Leonard
Meier-Couture-Labanc
Nieto-Gregor-Donato

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
From what it seems, Leonard is a lock. It's not like there's a lot of depth in front of him.
That's what I gather. I'm eager to see what he, Donato and Gambrell can do on this team. Looks like all three have almost assured themselves a spot in the top 9.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
That's what I gather. I'm eager to see what he, Donato and Gambrell can do on this team. Looks like all three have almost assured themselves a spot in the top 9.
Gambrell, probably not. They might try to force him there because for whatever reason this org sees something in him, but he won't stick, nor should he. That 3C will probably go to Gregor for the time being, the 4C being any one of True (once he's back), Handemark, or Kellman.

Reactions: JohnLennon

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
I'm expecting the below to be our opening top 9. I'm pretty high on Leonard and Gregor myself so I feel like this has the potential to be a solid top 9 out of the gate which would be a major improvement over what we ended the season with last year. Here's hoping they can compete without getting totally caved in.

Kane-Hertl-Leonard
Meier-Couture-Labanc
Nieto-Gregor-Donato
I'm high on Leonard as well. Not everyone can score at almost a goal-per-game pace in the NCAA by 22. If he can fit in on the top 6, I also see an opening for him as a triggerman on the PP. Really eager to see how this plays out.

I also have a gut feeling Donato might outplay Labanc for a top 6 role. But that's a shot in the dark.

Reactions: Sandisfan

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Gambrell, probably not. They might try to force him there because for whatever reason this org sees something in him, but he won't stick, nor should he. That 3C will probably go to Gregor for the time being, the 4C being any one of True (once he's back), Handemark, or Kellman.
Good point, Gambrell maybe not as much as Leonard.

Not to get ahead of myself but if Dubnyk and Jones as duo can not be COMPLETE garbage, this team really is pretty solid. Confidence starts from the back end and confidence can make a huge difference. I anticipate Karlsson/Burns to bounce back, Dubnyk to help at least a bit, and the top 9 to actually play above average.

Reactions: Erep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad