Speculation: 2020-2021 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Let me make sure I understand this correctly, you are citing an article which suggests Thornton having a sense of humor that rubs some young players the wrong way is proof he is not a fun loving sort of a guy in the locker room? Having a sense of humor = proof he is not fun loving. Got it....

"He gets read wrong a lot of times. He's just this happy, joking person, and people think he's not that serious," he said. "But I've never played with a teammate who rehabbed harder or more often than him. If it's suggested you rehab two to three times per day, he would do 10. That's why he's still playing." - Douglas Murray (who also almost fought Thornton in practice because of his on-ice intensity)

I Googled "Joe Thornton locker room" and even the Leafs are saying what other Sharks players have said over the years:

"Kerfoot hinted that Thornton’s absence would absolutely hurt the team. Although the Maple Leafs’ have other guys who can step up to replace Thornton on the ice, “in the locker he’s amazing,” Kerfoot noted"

'Kerfoot wrapped it up by saying that Thornton was just “one of those guys” that “we’re lucky to have him on our team … we’re going to miss him and hope that’s not for too long.”'

"The feelings of his teammates seem universal. Thornton is a good player, but he’s also an inspirational player whose leadership is perhaps best shown in the locker room. He brings positive energy and inspiration to the younger players.

That he’s noted for his infectious personality, his inspiration for his teammates to work hard, and the fact that he’s a magnet for good feelings and positive energy on the team. Perhaps, the 41-year-old Thornton can be replaced on the ice, but he’ll not so easily be replaced in the team’s locker room."

Maple Leafs Will Never Replace Joe Thornton in the Locker Room (thehockeywriters.com)
Spittin' Chiclets Episode 198: Featuring Ryane Clowe + Terry Ryan Sr.

At 30:45, roughly, Clowe starts talking about Jumbo. Worth a listen

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Doug Wilson is going to claim him - I am almost positive. He is exactly what we need to get Erik Karlsson to step his game up.

Brent Burns, Tony DeAngelo and Erik Karlsson are going to compete for minutes.

Making players earn their spot is like such a cliche Doug Wilson move, especially when they are losing.
If Wilson claims this piece of shit. f*** the Sharks.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I have significant doubts that the Sharks or any other team right now would claim him. Maybe in a year or two if he goes and plays somewhere else and keeps his nose clean and his name out of controversy, but right now he is full-tilt Chernobyl level radioactive. You don't have the string of problems he's had over the years and top it off by getting into a fight with a teammate after a game and get immediately waived/released afterwards just as a setup to a "some team will take him and get his head on straight" levels of fixability.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
You all forget that Doug Wilson traded for Joe Thornton after he was arrested for assaulting a police officer. We have 4.9 mil in cap space right now. Bob Boughner and Rocky Thompson are pretty tight with his old coach, Trevor Letowski.

I’m telling you guys, Doug Wilson is going to pull the trigger on this guy. Doing it via waivers instead of future considerations has Doug Wilson written all over it as well.

“We saw an opportunity to improve our team now and for the future. We think Tony is a dynamic defenseman who plays the game the right way, with a little bit of a chip on his sleeve. Looking forward to seeing what he can do to help out our second power play.”

Plus, say what you will, PPG RHD at TDL next season is going to return a kings ransom. People will forget all his bullshit once he is out of a market like New York.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
You all forget that Doug Wilson traded for Joe Thornton after he was arrested for assaulting a police officer.

Joe Thornton was arrested in May 2003 and was acquired in Nov 2005. Being one of nine people arrested at 2am at a bar in the offseason is not comparable to the litany of transgressions on Tony D's rap sheet. There really isnt much more to say about that

After hearing about the stealing of Millers first goal puck I agree. Politics aren't a deal breaker for me, but being an asshole and bad teammate can ruin a team fast.
I watched that game live and remember seeing him get the puck out of the net. I immediately thought, foolishly, that him grabbing the puck must mean that his public persona doesnt reflect his locker room character.

boy was i wrong

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
looks at kane.....
That's only this board. No one here knows anything about how his teammates feel about him. There hasn't been a single bad thing said by Sharks players that I've seen about the guy or how he fits with the team. Really makes me wonder what problem people here have with the guy...

Reactions: Sandisfan

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
I really don't want Deangelo on this team. We have more than enough money tied up in our defense and he sounds like a locker room cancer. If we end up rebuilding and taking him as a cap dump that's something else but I don't want him here otherwise.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
That's only this board. No one here knows anything about how his teammates feel about him. There hasn't been a single bad thing said by Sharks players that I've seen about the guy or how he fits with the team. Really makes me wonder what problem people here have with the guy...

Part of that opinion comes from Kane's immaturity on social media (the fight challenges, jabs with the Golden Knights, etc.), but yeah, nothing really has come up with the team itself. He does appear to have a work ethic issue given the lack of effort in different games and the amount of stupid penalties (yes, I do think some of them are undeserved, but plenty are due to lazy play on his part). He's definitely nowhere near DeAngelo though (extensive history of racism, issues in the locker room, etc.).

Reactions: themelkman

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Part of that opinion comes from Kane's immaturity on social media (the fight challenges, jabs with the Golden Knights, etc.), but yeah, nothing really has come up with the team itself. He does appear to have a work ethic issue given the lack of effort in different games and the amount of stupid penalties (yes, I do think some of them are undeserved, but plenty are due to lazy play on his part). He's definitely nowhere near DeAngelo though (extensive history of racism, issues in the locker room, etc.).
Honestly wish we didnt have either but Kane will be tough to move

Reactions: BigDmitriy

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

I think for some of Kane's transgressions, his intentions are good. His execution, however, is clumsy and careless. Its honestly not too dissimilar to how he plays hockey. He'll finish a check to keep defenders on their toes (good intentions) but follow through with a careless elbow (poor execution) and get a penalty.

Tony D seems like a guy with bad intentions and bad execution

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
So you're saying he's lazy...? Sorry, don't see it. He's had a bad couple games but he doesn't have a work ethic problem so far as I've seen. Goal scorers are streaky by nature. If Kane has a work ethic problem then you could say the same about a number of players including Couture. If anything Hertl is just as guilty of being in effective this season as Kane.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If they can start moving players like Burns, I’d be okay taking a flyer on DeAngelo for free but that involves DW being proactive. They need to load up on picks in 2022 but also recoup picks lost.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
It's not "this board" , it's the NHL. DW went after him even with his baggage

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
It would only make sense if Burns was on the market but I can't see that. Even then there are better fits than DeAngelo you would have your eye on if you needed a new RHD.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I think for some of Kane's transgressions, his intentions are good. His execution, however, is clumsy and careless. Its honestly not too dissimilar to how he plays hockey. He'll finish a check to keep defenders on their toes (good intentions) but follow through with a careless elbow (poor execution) and get a penalty.

Agreed 100%, that's why I don't want him anywhere near this team whereas I'm fine with Kane.

So you're saying he's lazy...? Sorry, don't see it. He's had a bad couple games but he doesn't have a work ethic problem so far as I've seen. Goal scorers are streaky by nature. If Kane has a work ethic problem then you could say the same about a number of players including Couture. If anything Hertl is just as guilty of being in effective this season as Kane.

Yeah, I think he's streaky, but that's not the only problem. Marleau (earlier in his career) and Couture are streaky too as goal scorers, and they can often appear as if they are floating out there. Kane does that too, but he also picks up a lot of penalties that seem like a byproduct of laziness (not moving his feet and that leading to trips, for example).

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Honestly I find the disparity appalling in how beloved Nolan is/was and how despised Kane is. You want to talk reckless, selfish penalties? Nolan was a master of this. Even had a tantrum and blind sided a guy and hurt him badly. Got suspended for it when he was the main offensive guy for the team. Ran a goalie in the playoffs for a 5 min major with a period to go. You go back and watch highlights of Nolans antics... Nolan events a higher PIM per game. Yeah he had more fighting majors. Great. Just what you need from your first line winger, 5 minutes in the box all the time. Kane is a choir boy on the ice by comparison. This never ending criticism of Kane is ridiculous. Or Jeez just look at how most her fawned over Torres when the Sharks got him and cried when he got suspended (me included). Torres was so bad he got thrown out of the league for all intents and purposes. But he didn't complain to the refs? Really that's what makes him ok? FFS.

It's not "this board" , it's the NHL. DW went after him even with his baggage
Yes, his problems are far over blown by the people on this board. He was a pending UFA and still worth a 1st round pick, a 4th and a Prospect drafted in the 5th who was being given NHL minutes (however briefly). At the time most NHL pundits called it a bargain and some said it was a steal. The overwhelming majority see him as a 1st line wing who can put up 30 goals, 50+ points, play on your 1st PP and kills penalties. I've played with plenty of people over time that I wouldn't necessarily invite over for thanksgiving dinner but I loved playing with them as teammates. You appreciate guys that stand up for you and play hard and play well. Over his time in San Jose he's done all that. His numbers are consistent, his effort is consistent. Even over the last few games where he's been struggling offensively he's still giving high effort as far as defense, PK and physical play. It's just the offense that's out of sync with Hertl and frankly I think that's more Hertl's fault than his. Hertl is the one who looks like's reactions are step slow for some reason. Probably home sick after being on the road so long away from his new baby. I can totally appreciate being in that kind of funk.

I would bet almost any amount that Kane's teammates on the Sharks don't view him as many here do. No one gives a shit about his social media stuff. Or at least no one views it negatively the way it is perceived here.

Honestly wish we didnt have either but Kane will be tough to move
A team full of nice guys is how you never win the cup. Every cup winner since the beginning of time has had guys that play on the edge and usually over it.

For Kane... What are his real transgressions? He's reckless when he hits guys some times? He complains to the refs? that's really about it. He's far from the only guy that complains to the refs. Also it's easily proven that he's regularly single out with a number of phantom calls. One of the most egregious "the black guy must have done it" penalties was on that Az player at the beginning of the season. That's not even debatable at this point. That shouldn't have been a more text book body check, shoulder to shoulder.
Kane’s baggage is no where near as bad as DeAngelo.
Truly, this shouldn't even need to be said.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad