Speculation: 2020-2021: Sharks Roster Discussion Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
The fact you can't see that this team healthy (wish) with a new system, new coaches, another year of experience for the young guys who weren't ready last season is NOT the same as last seasons team is beyond me. :laugh: They didn't finish near the bottom with everyone healthy, great coaching and a great system. There were plainly obvious reasons. The core you're talking about being older... who? Burns? He's the only important player who's old and frankly I bet he still puts up 50 points next season if healthy. Everyone else who matters it 31 or less. Vlasic kinda matters but he can put on the 3rd pair if he's still sucking. I don't think he's the difference between this team missing or making the playoffs anymore. Another year older is likely beneficial to guys like Meier and Labanc and about 10 prospects who are going to be fighting for ice time. Yeah there are question marks as far as Labanc and Donato being top 6 players but they aren't without competition or even guys to fill in when they struggle. DW is also clearly trying to sign at least 1 more NHL vet forward. Unless BB is a complete train wreck and/or they get hit with a ton of injures, this roster is at a minimum fighting for a playoff spot all season. They still have 2 D-men capable of 50+ point seasons and 4 forwards who can score 30 goals.

Couture, hertl, karlsson. Those are the 3 core players i was talking about. And all 3 have shown time and time again that they can't be trusted to be healthy for the entirety of a nhl season.

And those prospects that you are hoping to take leaps and step up about 90% of them from the tentative start date of february will have not played hockey in nearly a full calender year.

Yes coaching is the bìggest question mark. It did shown signs of improvement in certain areas of the game aka the goalie that matters with this team. But also did not leave any room for excitement in the other area that needs to get better also.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Couture, hertl, karlsson. Those are the 3 core players i was talking about. And all 3 have shown time and time again that they can't be trusted to be healthy for the entirety of a nhl season.

And those prospects that you are hoping to take leaps and step up about 90% of them from the tentative start date of february will have not played hockey in nearly a full calender year.

Yes coaching is the bìggest question mark. It did shown signs of improvement in certain areas of the game aka the goalie that matters with this team. But also did not leave any room for excitement in the other area that needs to get better also.
Having all 3 guys get hurt last season was mostly fluke. EK65 broke his thumb. They said he would have played if they made the playoffs. Couture broke a leg right? Are his bones weak? It's not like it's reoccurring knee injury. Even hertls was a different knee. So if you're saying his ligaments are just bad in general then maybe you have a case. Otherwise it's just bad luck. Teams go thru it sometimes. The problem was lack of depth once those guys got hurt. I don't consider spot duty on the 3rd and 4th lines taking "leaps" as far as the prospects. I'm betting the team doesn't either. A few already got some experience doing it. The fact there are a bunch of them means they don't have to ride or die with one or 2 players and whatever struggles they may go thru. They can plug in the next guy who will play hard and give the team a boost. Realistically though there aren't many spots left on the NHL roster especially if a guy like Sheery is signed. Sorry man but this team is no where near the level of suck as last years. Not having PDB for the first few months is a major difference in and of itself. Dillon is really the only guy I miss from last years team and that's more sentimental than his effectiveness. I didn't think he was nearly as good last season as the season before.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Having all 3 guys get hurt last season was mostly fluke. EK65 broke his thumb. They said he would have played if they made the playoffs. Couture broke a leg right? Are his bones weak? It's not like it's reoccurring knee injury. Even hertls was a different knee. So if you're saying his ligaments are just bad in general then maybe you have a case. Otherwise it's just bad luck. Teams go thru it sometimes. The problem was lack of depth once those guys got hurt. I don't consider spot duty on the 3rd and 4th lines taking "leaps" as far as the prospects. I'm betting the team doesn't either. A few already got some experience doing it. The fact there are a bunch of them means they don't have to ride or die with one or 2 players and whatever struggles they may go thru. They can plug in the next guy who will play hard and give the team a boost. Realistically though there aren't many spots left on the NHL roster especially if a guy like Sheery is signed. Sorry man but this team is no where near the level of suck as last years. Not having PDB for the first few months is a major difference in and of itself. Dillon is really the only guy I miss from last years team and that's more sentimental than his effectiveness. I didn't think he was nearly as good last season as the season before.

Hertl is onto his 3rd knee surgery, he has had 1 at minimum on both knees and 2 on another. And he hasn't even been in the league for 10 years yet. Couture always breaks something every year and misses out on games. Yes they are mostly bad luck injuries but when it happens like every season he can no be trusted to be in the lineup for 82 games.

Every one of your scenarios is a best case scenario where every single thing has to go perfect just for the team to not be total crap and just barely make it into the playoffs. That just shows that this team is not nearly as good as you are saying they will be.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I want to point out that winning in the NHL requires both depth and top-end talent. You look at Tampa last year, and they won a Cup without Stamkos. Any one of those players shouldn’t be a season ended for us - but given the lack of depth on this roster and limited high end talent, it would be. This isn’t a case of us missing 1 or 2 pieces. We are behind the power curve through out the line up. Hertl and Couture are not franchise centers. Karlsson isn’t worth P. Kane, McDavid, Panarin, Mathews, money. Matt Nieto and Patrick Marleau probably wouldn’t be signed by any other team - at least not one claiming to compete. Either one of our goalies would be considered the worst goalie in the league on their own merit. We have no high end prospects on team friendly ELCs. We are lacking top-6, mid-6 and bottom-6 forwards.

Guys. This is very clearly a refresh, rebuild, tank season. We talk about everyone having a “down” year. It’s not random. It’s because teams can out match us up and down the line up.

We are Buffalo and Edmonton bad.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I want to point out that winning in the NHL requires both depth and top-end talent. You look at Tampa last year, and they won a Cup without Stamkos. Any one of those players shouldn’t be a season ended for us - but given the lack of depth on this roster and limited high end talent, it would be. This isn’t a case of us missing 1 or 2 pieces. We are behind the power curve through out the line up. Hertl and Couture are not franchise centers. Karlsson isn’t worth P. Kane, McDavid, Panarin, Mathews, money. Matt Nieto and Patrick Marleau probably wouldn’t be signed by any other team - at least not one claiming to compete. Either one of our goalies would be considered the worst goalie in the league on their own merit. We have no high end prospects on team friendly ELCs. We are lacking top-6, mid-6 and bottom-6 forwards.

Guys. This is very clearly a refresh, rebuild, tank season. We talk about everyone having a “down” year. It’s not random. It’s because teams can out match us up and down the line up.

What has panarin and mathews done to say they deserve more then karlsson?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

It's not as rosy as some might want to think but it's also not as bleak as you're putting out here either.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Hertl is onto his 3rd knee surgery, he has had 1 at minimum on both knees and 2 on another. And he hasn't even been in the league for 10 years yet. Couture always breaks something every year and misses out on games. Yes they are mostly bad luck injuries but when it happens like every season he can no be trusted to be in the lineup for 82 games.

Every one of your scenarios is a best case scenario where every single thing has to go perfect just for the team to not be total crap and just barely make it into the playoffs. That just shows that this team is not nearly as good as you are saying they will be.
"every year". That's hyperbole. Just ridiculous over exaggeration. EK65 has played in more than 70 games 7 of 11 seasons and 56 of 70 last season. Logan has played more than 73 in 6 of 11 seasons. Even Hertl has played more than 77 games in 4 of 7 seasons. The only season he missed the majority was his rookie year when he was the victim of a cheap shot. ACL surgery isn't a career killer like it used to be. Especially for a guy who doesn't rely on speed anyway.

And no my best case scenarios do not have them barely making the playoffs. If this roster meets what I would consider a best case scenario they finish top 4 in the conference and are battling Vegas for the division all season. I don't think they meet all the best case scenarios so I'm saying they finish somewhere between 4th and 8th in the conference unless of course injuries hit like last year which I think is completely unlikely.

My best case scenario is this (based on an 82 game season)... Donato pots 25 goals, Labanc gets 50 points, goalie are league average, pk is top 10, pp top 10, burns and ek65 put up 50+. Hertl, Couture, Kane, Meier all average out at about 60 points each. Kane probably only gets 50 to 55 so someone else will have more assists. Basically 120 goals and 120 assists from that 4 some. EK65, Hertl and Couture play 95% of the games. That's my absolute best case scenario. The only thing that hasn't been achieved previously is Donatos 25. Everything else, the players have already proven they are capable of meeting or exceeding my criteria. The only one who is old enough to maybe affect reaching his goal is Burns and he's frankly the one I'm least worried about.

Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

You're kidding right? I mean you have to be... Your take about lack of depth is very true but the rest is just silly. Key thing with all of this is that the Sharks still play in the Pacific. The pacific sucks. Worst division in the NHL at the moment.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
"every year". That's hyperbole. Just ridiculous over exaggeration. EK65 has played in more than 70 games 7 of 11 seasons and 56 of 70 last season. Logan has played more than 73 in 6 of 11 seasons. Even Hertl has played more than 77 games in 4 of 7 seasons. The only season he missed the majority was his rookie year when he was the victim of a cheap shot. ACL surgery isn't a career killer like it used to be. Especially for a guy who doesn't rely on speed anyway.

And no my best case scenarios do not have them barely making the playoffs. If this roster meets what I would consider a best case scenario they finish top 4 in the conference and are battling Vegas for the division all season. I don't think they meet all the best case scenarios so I'm saying they finish somewhere between 4th and 8th in the conference unless of course injuries hit like last year which I think is completely unlikely.

My best case scenario is this (based on an 82 game season)... Donato pots 25 goals, Labanc gets 50 points, goalie are league average, pk is top 10, pp top 10, burns and ek65 put up 50+. Hertl, Couture, Kane, Meier all average out at about 60 points each. Kane probably only gets 50 to 55 so someone else will have more assists. Basically 120 goals and 120 assists from that 4 some. EK65, Hertl and Couture play 95% of the games. That's my absolute best case scenario. The only thing that hasn't been achieved previously is Donatos 25. Everything else, the players have already proven they are capable of meeting or exceeding my criteria. The only one who is old enough to maybe affect reaching his goal is Burns and he's frankly the one I'm least worried about.

So like i said you are hoping for the absolute best of every top player on this team. And every aspect of the team to be at there very best.

The only 1 of those 4 that can be counted on for sure hitting 60 points is couture and that is just because he has done it the most. 4 of 11 years in the nhl. Meier done it once and if he hits his potential should be able to hit it again. Kane has never hit it. Hertl has done it once in his 7 seasons. Not really that good success rate of reaching this area that needs to be hit.

So as i said your way of being in the playoffs needs for 2 players to become something they never been before. And every one else to come close to having career years. And we have not even touched on the bottom 6 that is hoping for 6 players to take 2 steps forward in there progress.

Edit: another add to the 4 60 point players on the same team prediction. Only 1 team in the entire nhl actually hit that mark. 2 other teams would of for sure if not for the season ending early and a 4th that had a chance. No other team was even remotely close to reaching this goal.

Last edited:

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
There probably won't be a Pacific Division as we've known it this season, we're likely going to lose the Canadian teams and gain some teams like COL and DAL who will be eating into our divisional playoff spots

Even if the Sharks bounce back, making the playoffs this year will likely be a lot more challenging than in recent seasons

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Watching HOCKEY live on TV

College hockey. HC on one side is Sharks alum Tony Granato. Kenda Coyne-Schofield is doing color.

8 to play. Goalie who hasn't let any goals in: Beydoun. Robbie Beydoun Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Undrafted. Graduate student (24). Wonder if he's a guy who might be of interest to Sharks (in the future)
Guy who was a backup goalie until his sr year on a fairly minor program isn't a guy with pro potential.

Reactions: Patty Ice

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
What has panarin and mathews done to say they deserve more then karlsson?

Panarin scored 95 points in 69 games last season. He has scored nearly 30 goals every year he’s been in the league and shown that he can carry a line with his playmaking. He is clearly a franchise player in the prime of his career for the next few seasons.

Mathews is a 23 year-old, 1OA pick who has scored more than a PPG since his 2nd season in the league. Guy is clearly trending upwards and likely won’t have hit his peak when this contract ends.

Neither of those two have the injury history of Erik Karlsson, nor have they shown the decline in speed, a critical attribute to EK game, that EK has displayed over the past several seasons. Ohh and both of them were trending upwards in points when they signed their contract, unlike EK who has been trending down for a while.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
So like i said you are hoping for the absolute best of every top player on this team. And every aspect of the team to be at there very best.

The only 1 of those 4 that can be counted on for sure hitting 60 points is couture and that is just because he has done it the most. 4 of 11 years in the nhl. Meier done it once and if he hits his potential should be able to hit it again. Kane has never hit it. Hertl has done it once in his 7 seasons. Not really that good success rate of reaching this area that needs to be hit.

So as i said your way of being in the playoffs needs for 2 players to become something they never been before. And every one else to come close to having career years. And we have not even touched on the bottom 6 that is hoping for 6 players to take 2 steps forward in there progress.
No, not what I wrote

Edit: another add to the 4 60 point players on the same team prediction. Only 1 team in the entire nhl actually hit that mark. 2 other teams would of for sure if not for the season ending early and a 4th that had a chance. No other team was even remotely close to reaching this goal.

Dude... Jeez man that's not what I said. Please re-read it. I specifically said I don't expect my best case scenario and I detailed what my best case was.
"And no my best case scenarios do not have them barely making the playoffs. If this roster meets what I would consider a best case scenario they finish top 4 in the conference and are battling Vegas for the division all season. I don't think they meet all the best case scenarios so I'm saying they finish somewhere between 4th and 8th in the conference unless of course injuries hit like last year which I think is completely unlikely."

As far as who can hit what points... That was from my best case scenario which hopefully has now been established that I don't think they hit.

The bottom 6 is not hoping for 6 players to take 2 steps... Maybe 1 player needs to take 1 step if even that. Have you looked at the roster? Nieto, Patty, Sorenson, Gamby, Noesen (that's 5 of 6), then all the prospects - Gregor, Blich, Leonard, Handy, Kellman, Chemleski, etc, etc. Then consider that DW is trying to sign Connor Sheary probably to compete with Labanc and Donato in the top 6. 3rd man out there plays in the bottom 6. So there is more than enough ingredients to make a competitive 3rd and 4th line.

Here I'll make it easier for you. Here is my realistic expectations based on an 82 game schedule:
Donato pots 20 goals (he put up 14 last season mostly playing limited minutes in the bottom 6), Labanc gets 45 points, goalies are league average (same), pk is top 10 (same), pp top 15, burns and ek65 put up 100 points between them. Hertl, Couture, Kane, Meier all average out at about 50 points each. It's the average of all 4. All 4 don't have to hit 50. I think at least 2 are going to put up 60+ to make up for a short fall in one or 2 of the other players production. Basically approximately 100 goals and 100 assists from that 4 some. EK65, Hertl and Couture play 90% of the games. Considering how poorly all these players (other burns) played in the first couple months under PDB they still were on pace to beat these predictions last season and that team had major injuries and major motivation and/or chemistry problem. All these expectations are completely reasonable for what these players have shown previously that they are capable of. IMO, this would put them in the lower half of the playoff bracket in the pacific. If they realign for the season and move Dallas and the Avs into the Pacific, I don't think the prediction changes because Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary would be leaving. Sharks are still looking at playing LA, the ducks and AZ multiple times. Dallas to me has the look of of a playoff over achiever. I don't think they show up as an elite team next season with old ass Pavs in their top 6. They basically finished last season in the 4th seed.

A few notes about the top 4 forwards:
- Last 3 seasons Kane put up 54, 56 and then scored at a 60 point pace last season when the team was trash. That's trending up.
- Meier scored 66 2 seasons ago and scored at a 57 point pace last season after basically being a no show for the first 2 months of the season. He is very likely on the cusp of consistently being the teams leading scorer.
- Hertl after scoring 74 points 2 seasons ago was on a 61 point pace last season while carrying his wingers until Meier woke up. Hertl is the wild card. If he's healthy and feeling confident, he's probably the best forward on the team a legit #1 center. 50 points is an absolute minimum prediction if he can stay healthy. Long off season rehabbing, shortened season, I like his chances.
- Couture is a very good bet for 60 let alone 50 unless he's been eating Poutine and getting punched in the mouth everyday since the shut down.

So yeah these 4 players are easy bets for 50 points (avg) and frankly 60 (avg) isn't all that unreasonable as a possibility when you consider they have 2 of the best offensive defensemen helping them from the back end.

One thing to add. I still think DW gets in on a trade for an established player like one of the guys TB has to move. There are a few teams that have to move guys still and this is where I expect DW to do something to bolster the teams talent level.

Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
There probably won't be a Pacific Division as we've known it this season, we're likely going to lose the Canadian teams and gain some teams like COL and DAL who will be eating into our divisional playoff spots

Even if the Sharks bounce back, making the playoffs this year will likely be a lot more challenging than in recent seasons
I don't think their challenge changes much if at all. They still only need to beat out AZ, LA and ANA and probably Minn since they're the next team east of Dallas. They could dump the Blues in the Pacific instead but I don't think it goes that way for a recent cup winner. I think they'll have enough influence in negotiations to keep their travel shorter.

Canadian Div: Leafs, Habs, Sens, Jets, Oil, Flames, Canucks

NE Div: Bruins, NYR, NJD, NYI, Flyers, Sabres, Pens, Caps

SE Div: Bolts, Panthers, Hurricanes, Preds, Blues, Hawks, Wings, Bluejackets

Pacific Div: Sharks, Ducks, Kings, Avs, Stars, Coyotes, Wild, Knights

Last edited:

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I'm sure other guys are working just as hard, but it's good to physically see Timo Meier putting in the work to get better (via his IG)

I don't think their challenge changes much if at all. They still only need to beat out AZ, LA and ANA and probably Minn since they're the next team east of Dallas. They could dump the Blues in the Pacific instead but I don't think it goes that way for a recent cup winner. I think they'll have enough influence in negotiations to keep their travel shorter.

Canadian Div: Leafs, Habs, Sens, Jets, Oil, Flames, Canucks

NE Div: Bruins, NYR, NJD, NYI, Flyers, Sabres, Pens

SE Div: Bolts, Panthers, Hurricanes, Preds, Blues, Hawks, Wings, Bluejackets

Pacific Div: Sharks, Ducks, Kings, Avs, Stars, Coyotes, Wild, Knights

If that's the div breakdown the sharks could Be the 4th best team

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Baloney. Nieto, especially at his price tag, has a bottom 6 spot on any team in the league.
Agreed. As a PKer he's apparently established himself as a valuable player. The Sharks could have done a lot worse filling a PK role than him. He's making less than Milker and I bet pretty much everyone here would prefer him to milker. At that price he can be bumped to the 4th line if someone outplays him offensively.

Last edited:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
No, not what I wrote

Dude... Jeez man that's not what I said. Please re-read it. I specifically said I don't expect my best case scenario and I detailed what my best case was.
"And no my best case scenarios do not have them barely making the playoffs. If this roster meets what I would consider a best case scenario they finish top 4 in the conference and are battling Vegas for the division all season. I don't think they meet all the best case scenarios so I'm saying they finish somewhere between 4th and 8th in the conference unless of course injuries hit like last year which I think is completely unlikely."

As far as who can hit what points... That was from my best case scenario which hopefully has now been established that I don't think they hit.

The bottom 6 is not hoping for 6 players to take 2 steps... Maybe 1 player needs to take 1 step if even that. Have you looked at the roster? Nieto, Patty, Sorenson, Gamby, Noesen (that's 5 of 6), then all the prospects - Gregor, Blich, Leonard, Handy, Kellman, Chemleski, etc, etc. Then consider that DW is trying to sign Connor Sheary probably to compete with Labanc and Donato in the top 6. 3rd man out there plays in the bottom 6. So there is more than enough ingredients to make a competitive 3rd and 4th line.

Here I'll make it easier for you. Here is my realistic expectations based on an 82 game schedule:
Donato pots 20 goals (he put up 14 last season mostly playing limited minutes in the bottom 6), Labanc gets 45 points, goalies are league average (same), pk is top 10 (same), pp top 15, burns and ek65 put up 100 points between them. Hertl, Couture, Kane, Meier all average out at about 50 points each. It's the average of all 4. All 4 don't have to hit 50. I think at least 2 are going to put up 60+ to make up for a short fall in one or 2 of the other players production. Basically approximately 100 goals and 100 assists from that 4 some. EK65, Hertl and Couture play 90% of the games. Considering how poorly all these players (other burns) played in the first couple months under PDB they still were on pace to beat these predictions last season and that team had major injuries and major motivation and/or chemistry problem. All these expectations are completely reasonable for what these players have shown previously that they are capable of. IMO, this would put them in the lower half of the playoff bracket in the pacific. If they realign for the season and move Dallas and the Avs into the Pacific, I don't think the prediction changes because Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary would be leaving. Sharks are still looking at playing LA, the ducks and AZ multiple times. Dallas to me has the look of of a playoff over achiever. I don't think they show up as an elite team next season with old ass Pavs in their top 6. They basically finished last season in the 4th seed.

A couple notes:
- Last 3 seasons Kane put up 54, 56 and then scored at a 60 point pace last season when the team was trash. That's trending up.
- Meier scored 66 2 seasons ago and scored at a 57 point pace last season after basically being a no show for the first 2 months of the season. He is very likely on the cusp of being the teams consistent leading scorer.
- Hertl after scoring 74 points 2 seasons ago was on a 61 point pace last season while carrying his wingers until Meier woke up. Hertl is the wild card. If he's healthy and feeling confident, he's probably the best forward on the team a legit #1 center. 50 points is an absolute minimum prediction if he can stay healthy. Long off season rehabbing, shortened season, I like his chances.
- Couture is a very good bet for 60 let alone 50 unless he's been eating Poutine and getting punched in the mouth everyday since the shut down.

So yeah these 4 players are easy bets for 50 points (avg) and frankly 60 (avg) isn't all that unreasonable as a possibility when you consider they have 2 of the best offensive defensemen helping them from the back end.

Those 5 of 6 that you just posted all do not and can't score at the nhl level for 3rd liners. Patty should not be in the nhl, nieto has never put up 30 points in a season, sorrenson is useless offensive/defensively and in general at hockey.

The entire bottom 6 has never or can't do it any more put up 30 points. That is not a good bottom 6 i think it is you that has not taken a good look at this roster as is. Because it is not a good roster in the slightest.

This roster is asking couture/kane/hertl/meier and burns/karlsson to do 99% of the scoring for the team. Even in the regular season teams will be able to easily shut down that top 6 because they will not have to worry about the bottom 6 who will just be on the ice wasting time.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Those 5 of 6 that you just posted all do not and can't score at the nhl level for 3rd liners. Patty should not be in the nhl, nieto has never put up 30 points in a season, sorrenson is useless offensive/defensively and in general at hockey.

The entire bottom 6 has never or can't do it any more put up 30 points. That is not a good bottom 6 i think it is you that has not taken a good look at this roster as is. Because it is not a good roster in the slightest.

This roster is asking couture/kane/hertl/meier and burns/karlsson to do 99% of the scoring for the team. Even in the regular season teams will be able to easily shut down that top 6 because they will not have to worry about the bottom 6 who will just be on the ice wasting time.
I bet most teams ask their top 6 players to do the overwhelming majority of scoring. 2 seasons ago the Sharks had 9 players with more than 50 points. The player who came in 10th with 45? EK65. 7 players remain from that group and EK65 is likely the healthiest he's been in years. I like their chances.

I hate to break it to you but Nieto has scored at a 30 point pace in multiple seasons. Patty scored at a 27 point pace last year. One of Sheary, Labanc or Donato is likely playing on the 3rd line as well. All are capable of putting up 30. Some a lot more. Assuming that not a single prospect is going to come in and play well just isn't realistic. Especially after they got more experience last season. "Good roster" is a vague term. I'm saying they're a playoff roster if they don't suffer an injury streak similar to last year. That is the extend of what I've asserted.

Anyway, I guess we'll see. Let's agree to disagree and we can see who was right at the end of the season assuming there is one. I prefer the glass half full to your empty glass outlook. ;)

Last edited:

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
The problem with our bottom six is we don't really have a 3rd line. Marleau scored at his pace because he was playing way higher up in the lineup than he should have been on a competitive team. He still has his wheels but his hands are shot. He should be on the 4th line. Sorensen has been a massive disappointment since he signed his contract. If not for his salary I would be fine with him on the 4th line but even so he isn't someone I would count on. I won't comment on Sheary until he is signed, but overall I am indifferent to him signing. Noeson I love on the 4th line but he isn't really a goal scorer. I love his effort and how he makes us tougher to play against but I would not want him on the 3rd line. Nieto I again like but I do not expect much from him. He likely makes the 3rd line by default but that isn't saying much.

Most of our prospects are probably at least half a season away from being ready with the exceptions of maybe Gregor and Leanord. But I don't expect much from them sadly. At least not this season.

My God can we please get a start date to training camp. I feel like we have all said the same things over and over and at this point are like a dog chasing his own tail.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I bet most teams ask their top 6 players to do the overwhelming majority of scoring. 2 seasons ago the Sharks had 9 players with more than 50 points. The player who came in 10th with 45? EK65. 7 players remain from that group and EK65 is likely the healthiest he's been in years. I like their chances.

I hate to break it to you but Nieto has scored at a 30 point pace in multiple seasons. Patty scored at a 27 point pace last year. One of Sheary, Labanc or Donato is likely playing on the 3rd line as well. All are capable of putting up 30. Some a lot more. Assuming that not a single prospect is going to come in and play well just isn't realistic. Especially after they got more experience last season. "Good roster" is a vague term. I'm saying they're a playoff roster if they don't suffer an injury streak similar to last year. That is the extend of what I've asserted.

Anyway, I guess we'll see. Let's agree to disagree and we can see who was right at the end of the season assuming there is one. I prefer the glass half full to your empty glass outlook. ;)

And thornton at times has been on pace for 200 goals in a season. Nieto is not some rookie that still has potential, he has been in the league 8 seasons and has never hit 30 points and he never will.

Lets put it this way. The 5 players you named in the original post combined last season put up 81 points combined. All 5 of them combined don't even make up the offensive numbers of the most basic of 3rd lines.

Last edited:
Reactions: jarr92

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
The problem with our bottom six is we don't really have a 3rd line. .

My cost-conscious solution: Claim Rudy Balcers from Ottawa when he (inevitably) hits waivers, jobs a good 'un.

I've followed his trajectory for a while, long before he was traded, and was always a big fan of his potential. He's not, and never will be, a grinder but Ottawa seems determined not to use him - whatever forum I read there, or whatever beat writer, there's hardly ever any mention of him... maybe as a 4 line LW. It's like they've never really valued him. They're deluged with so many other prospects, I think they've begun to overlook his upside.

I can completely foresee him going back to Belleville via waivers - at which point I'd definitely bring him back to try as that 3LW. What loss would there be?

Besides... freeing Rudy just prior to Christmas would also be the most perfect scenario.

Back to your days, now...

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I'm sure other guys are working just as hard, but it's good to physically see Timo Meier putting in the work to get better (via his IG)

If that's the div breakdown the sharks could Be the 4th best team
Problem is he forgot the blues who could also be in our division. If that happens then its likely a tight race for a wildcard against Dallas and whoever is 4th and 5th in the canadian div

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Problem is he forgot the blues who could also be in our division. If that happens then its likely a tight race for a wildcard against Dallas and whoever is 4th and 5th in the canadian div

I didn't forget the Blues, you didn't read the whole comment I guess?

"They could dump the Blues in the Pacific instead but I don't think it goes that way for a recent cup winner. I think they'll have enough influence in negotiations to keep their travel shorter."

Who do you think the NHL is likely to Give the title of most travel too? Almost always ends up the Sharks but in a realignment it'll be either the Blues or Minn. My bet is Minn. It also works better for balancing the competition level of the divisions. That SE conference is somewhat mediocre other than TB.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad