Speculation: 2020-2021: Sharks Roster Discussion Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Jones has never had a problem making the big save on a rush or back door feed, etc. It's the low% shots that he really seems to struggle with

i hope something he has worked on this offseason is finding the puck through screens. He let in a ton of shots from the point with traffic in front, but on replays you could see that he wasn't looking the right direction anyway.

Even at his best, Jones lacked the play-reading and anticipation of the elite goalies, IMO.

Reactions: tiburon12

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
The problem for me is worse than that. I dont think we are bad enough to to finish bottom 5 again but are probably not good enough to make the playoffs either. Our best case scenario is a 1st round exit in a series that probably won't be close. Even that, is only possible because we are in the Pacific. To make it worse, given our long term contracts we will be like that for several years.
You're too optimistic. We were the worst team in the league, then actively got worse, and now you expect this team to finish higher than they did last year? We don't even have good prospects expected to play next year. You got some unrealistic expectations.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
You're too optimistic. We were the worst team in the league, then actively got worse, and now you expect this team to finish higher than they did last year? We don't even have good prospects expected to play next year. You got some unrealistic expectations.
Merkley. He will play next year.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California

Possibly, but I would argue that all of our players had down years which resulted in us being as bad as we were. I think Meier, couture, labanc all play better and Donato chips in as well. So our top six should be somewhat better. Losing dillon hurts our blue line but again I expect our stars to bounce back some but not a ton.

I expect Jones to continue to be a constant source of pain, frustration and losses as he continues on his sinister plan of giving me premature baldness by being the worst goalie in the league. However he has some stiff completion in Dubnyk who wants to see me cry everynight by letting in the most goals the league.

But in all seriousness I dont think we are even an average team. I just think we are bottom 5 unless everything goes wrong again. I suspect more in that 6th-12th worst team range. Which over the long term is probably worse for us.

Edit: Also this league has Detroit so thats at least 1 team we are better than.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
The issue is I think we are in for a few years of this before a potential Detroit style forced rebuild. Which I really want to avoid. I honestly think that sucking for a year or two would be the best thing for us long term.
I don't completely disagree, I just don't think DW will accept that level of rebuild. If he's fired then sure maybe, but as long as he's in charge I don't see a "torn down to the studs" type of rebuild.
They weren't the worst team and if they are healthier, they'll be better.

Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
The NHL YouTube page's Top 10 plays for the Sharks 2020 season was super grim

For a team that had the worst goaltending in the league last year, 7 of the highlights were saves, and 3 of them were saves from one game

It really was a brutal year

Burns is awful in a bunch of these too...

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
I don't completely disagree, I just don't think DW will accept that level of rebuild. If he's fired then sure maybe, but as long as he's in charge I don't see a "torn down to the studs" type of rebuild.

They weren't the worst team and if they are healthier, they'll be better.
Detroit didn't accept it either. They just sucked too bad to avoid it

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Hockey Central - Sportsnet.ca

21:15 into the November 10th podcast David Pagnotta (thefourthperiod) sums some interesting thoughts on the Sharks.

He basically says the team has put last season behind them and will finally be healthy. They are motivated and have 2 goalies with something to prove.

An optimistic approach to them team

Reactions: Sandisfan and WSS11

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The only player who doesn't goon it up is Kane who isn't called for a single penalty all year.
The only reason he isn’t called for a single penalty is because he’s suspended for the whole regular season for calling Ryan Reaves a crybaby.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
He basically says the team has put last season behind them and will finally be healthy. They are motivated and have 2 goalies with something to prove.

An optimistic approach to them team

They have something to prove...but what if they have nothing to prove?

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I’m sure it’s worth the price to sign up but still annoying that most content worth reading nowadays comes with a fee.
My subscription ran out and I cant really afford to reup right now, but Im interested what the update on Sheary would be. Would the sharks consider signing both? Seems like a lot of bottom sixers

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
My subscription ran out and I cant really afford to reup right now, but Im interested what the update on Sheary would be. Would the sharks consider signing both? Seems like a lot of bottom sixers
It's already a lot of bottom sixers but both are minimum might be ok

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Id say we have to trade Sorenson then or just scratch him. We just dont have the spots and it leaves no room for any breakout from a rookie
Haula makes a ton of sense. I’m still very against Sheary.

Meier-Couture-Nieto/Gregor
Kane-Hertl-Labanc
Gregor/Nieto-Haula-Donato
Kellman/Noesen-Handemark/True-Marleau/Noesen

Reactions: themelkman

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
They have something to prove...but what if they have nothing to prove?

Google Image Result for http://m.quickmeme.com/img/81/813ee14e86fd2c476fbc019d78108c83bae2ccffc8737eeb011c4faddf0ed971.jpg
m3KEWcFKEeSy9eGx6

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Detroit didn't accept it either. They just sucked too bad to avoid it
Sharks are a long way from a Detroit style forced rebuild. Minimum 4 seasons if they ever even get there. Detroit just ran out of talent either thru retirement, injury or players leaving. Sharks aren't even close yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad