Speculation: 2020-2021: Sharks Roster Discussion Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
And thornton at times has been on pace for 200 goals in a season. Nieto is not some rookie that still has potential, he has been in the league 8 seasons and has never hit 30 points and he never will.

Lets put it this way. The 5 players you named in the original post combined last season put up 81 points combined. All 5 of them combined don't even make up the offensive numbers of the most basic of 3rd lines.
More hyperbole and refusal to acknowledge the fact about Neitos modest scoring ability. PPG matters when you're making these determinations. Feel free to share what the average scoring rate of a 3rd liner is. Most of them don't see PP time so I'm betting it's about 20 to 30 points.

Last edited:

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I didn't forget the Blues, you didn't read the whole comment I guess?

"They could dump the Blues in the Pacific instead but I don't think it goes that way for a recent cup winner. I think they'll have enough influence in negotiations to keep their travel shorter."

Who do you think the NHL is likely to Give the title of most travel too? Almost always ends up the Sharks but in a realignment it'll be either the Blues or Minn. My bet is Minn. It also works better for balancing the competition level of the divisions. That SE conference is somewhat mediocre other than TB.
If that’s how they break it down, I think it’s more likely that neither Min or STL gets put in the Pacific and we end up with 7 teams. It will be much less travel to add an eighth team to the Atlantic.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
If that’s how they break it down, I think it’s more likely that neither Min or STL gets put in the Pacific and we end up with 7 teams. It will be much less travel to add an eighth team to the Atlantic.
It would be a ninth team in the Atlantic, which they may not want to do.

Assuming things are not super crazy, the three USA divisions will all have to be 8 teams, because the Canadian division will be the one with 7 teams.

Reactions: themelkman

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
My cost-conscious solution: Claim Rudy Balcers from Ottawa when he (inevitably) hits waivers, jobs a good 'un.

I've followed his trajectory for a while, long before he was traded, and was always a big fan of his potential. He's not, and never will be, a grinder but Ottawa seems determined not to use him - whatever forum I read there, or whatever beat writer, there's hardly ever any mention of him... maybe as a 4 line LW. It's like they've never really valued him. They're deluged with so many other prospects, I think they've begun to overlook his upside.

I can completely foresee him going back to Belleville via waivers - at which point I'd definitely bring him back to try as that 3LW. What loss would there be?

Besides... freeing Rudy just prior to Christmas would also be the most perfect scenario.

Back to your days, now...

Yes please.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Ya, this realignment could only hurt the Sharks with Central teams coming over. The path to even making the playoffs becomes much different...

Reactions: Sandisfan

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
My cost-conscious solution: Claim Rudy Balcers from Ottawa when he (inevitably) hits waivers, jobs a good 'un.

I've followed his trajectory for a while, long before he was traded, and was always a big fan of his potential. He's not, and never will be, a grinder but Ottawa seems determined not to use him - whatever forum I read there, or whatever beat writer, there's hardly ever any mention of him... maybe as a 4 line LW. It's like they've never really valued him. They're deluged with so many other prospects, I think they've begun to overlook his upside.

I can completely foresee him going back to Belleville via waivers - at which point I'd definitely bring him back to try as that 3LW. What loss would there be?

Besides... freeing Rudy just prior to Christmas would also be the most perfect scenario.

Back to your days, now...

This is excellent idea. T'would be a great Christmas gift for @The Nemesis.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

It would be a ninth team in the Atlantic, which they may not want to do.

Assuming things are not super crazy, the three USA divisions will all have to be 8 teams, because the Canadian division will be the one with 7 teams.

Yeah that was my thought initially too until I realized Canada would have to be the 7 team division. Unless the league does something weird it should be Minn or the blues in the pacific. Maybe I'm being an optimist thinking it should be minn because they're flying kinda far either way. I guess we'll see.

Regardless, the challenge is really unchanged. They likely challenge for one of the bottom 2 or 3 spots in the conference. The wild card spots add a new wrinkle. My guess would be the Pacific gets paired with Canada so the 2 eastern divisions can battle it out that way but if they're looking to even the competition level they should put Canada with the NE division and the Pacific with the SE division. I still like the Sharks chances under the circumstances I stated previously though. The Pacific and the SE are very top heavy with lots of mediocrity and worse after the top few teams. The Canadian div really only has 1 very good team (TO) and a few middle of the road teams that are similar to the Sharks so that would be the better matchup for the Sharks to grab the last wild card spot if it comes to that.

Last edited:

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
Yeah that was my thought initially too until I realized Canada would have to be the 7 team division. Unless the league does something weird it should be Minn or the blues in the pacific. Maybe I'm being an optimist thinking it should be minn because they're flying kinda far either way. I guess we'll see.

Regardless, the challenge is really unchanged. They likely challenge for one of the bottom 2 or 3 spots in the conference. The wild card spots add a new wrinkle. My guess would be the Pacific gets paired with Canada so the 2 eastern divisions can battle it out that way but if they're looking to even the competition level they should put Canada with the NE division and the Pacific with the SE division. I still like the Sharks chances under the circumstances I stated previously though. The Pacific and the SE are very top heavy with lots of mediocrity and worse after the top few teams. The Canadian div really only has 1 very good team (TO) and a few middle of the road teams that are similar to the Sharks so that would be the better matchup for the Sharks to grab the last wild card spot if it comes to that.
I would argue that Calgary and Vancouver are quite a bit above us. Edmonton has players that can carry them far better then ours can. I can see the case for Winnipeg uneven so thats not much

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I think we will have to be wildcard if anything. If we are competing against the Canadian division for it, then it will likely be edmonton and vancouver 4/5th in it, and maybe the sharks and dallas for the "pacific"

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I would argue that Calgary and Vancouver are quite a bit above us. Edmonton has players that can carry them far better then ours can. I can see the case for Winnipeg uneven so thats not much
I mean anything is arguable but they won't be in the pacific. Also I don't see either of their rosters being better than the Sharks and Calgary is supposedly going to trade Johnny Hockey. They'll also be in the Canadian Div which will probably be TO, and then it's maybe Edmonton and Montreal then Van and Calgary. Other than TO, I'm not convinced those teams have better top 6 players than the Sharks. Edmontons players haven't done anything to carry that team, especially once you get to the playoffs. Frankly we won't really know for sure until we get a look at the final rosters and see how the teams jell in the first 10 to 15 games. Like I've said, I don't think DW is done yet.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Im actually thinking now that seattle wont even bother taking Simek from us in the expansion. I looked at their options and all the best picks are D. I think they probably take a boatload of young good D and then trade them off for other pieces they need later.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
I mean anything is arguable but they won't be in the pacific. Also I don't see either of their rosters being better than the Sharks and Calgary is supposedly going to trade Johnny Hockey. They'll also be in the Canadian Div which will probably be TO, and then it's maybe Edmonton and Montreal then Van and Calgary. Other than TO, I'm not convinced those teams have better top 6 players than the Sharks. Edmontons players haven't done anything to carry that team, especially once you get to the playoffs. Frankly we won't really know for sure until we get a look at the final rosters and see how the teams jell in the first 10 to 15 games. Like I've said, I don't think DW is done yet.

I was thinking of them in a wildcard scenario. And Edmonton has Mcjesus and Drasital. Not really interested in going back and forth on potential playoff positioning though.

What kind of player do you think DW is going after? I kind of get the impression we may sign a bottom 6 forward and 6th/7th defenseman but thats it. I dont think he is looking at any big moves.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I was thinking of them in a wildcard scenario. And Edmonton has Mcjesus and Drasital. Not really interested in going back and forth on potential playoff positioning though.

What kind of player do you think DW is going after? I kind of get the impression we may sign a bottom 6 forward and 6th/7th defenseman but thats it. I dont think he is looking at any big moves.

According to Sheng, the Sharks have talked to Granlund, Sheary and Haula. Any of those would help our team.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

I think he's talking to the teams that have to move salary out like Tampa. I'm not saying he will for sure do something but this is the exact type of situation where DW seems to work. Take advantage of a team in dire straights. No idea what a trade would look like since I don't know who he might be targeting but it would be more surprising to find out he wasn't involved. I think once the season is officially announced we'll see more movement as far as trades and the last few signings of UFA. Sharks are flush with expendable prospects so they should be able to trade trash for something useful like usual. :laugh: Personally if they could make one more acquisition it would be a center that can play 3rd line and in a pinch 2nd if necessary. I'm hoping that Sorenson hot play right now makes him desirable to some other team as well. I think they need another defensemen like they need a hole in their head. They have enough guys to play that 6th spot assuming Middleton is fully recovered. Him and Pasinchuk and a few games from Merkley and maybe another prospect will be enough considering how much Burns and a hopefully healthy EK65 are going to play.

Last edited:

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I really doubt that San Jose's current state of affairs makes them an attractive place to sign, but maybe out of necessity those free agent forwards will give it a go.

I'm not keeping my hopes up though

Reactions: themelkman

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I really doubt that San Jose's current state of affairs makes them an attractive place to sign, but maybe out of necessity those free agent forwards will give it a go.

I'm not keeping my hopes up though
On the flip side though, they are a team thats bounced back before and can surprise people. Also should have a pretty good reputation for taking care of players that may make someone like Haula feel like after a one year deal they might be able to stick around longer on a more fair deal

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
On the flip side though, they are a team thats bounced back before and can surprise people. Also should have a pretty good reputation for taking care of players that may make someone like Haula feel like after a one year deal they might be able to stick around longer on a more fair deal
For a good player, with aspirations to get more minutes, it could be desirable as well since they can realistically see openings in the top 6 forwards. New coaching staff is going to play the best players outside of the 6 best players on the roster.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->