Speculation: 2020-2021: Sharks Roster Discussion Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Alright so I haven't really been a fan of long term extreme failure teams like the NY Jets, how should I prepare myself for the next ~7 years of Sharks hockey? I don't think my previous 10 years of moderate Sharks failure has prepared me for what's coming next. Do I need to keep a bigger stock of alcohol ready at all times?

Last edited:

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
Alright so I haven't really been a fan of long term extreme failure teams like the NY Jets, how should I prepare myself for the next ~7 years of Sharks hockey? I don't think my previous 10 years of moderate Sharks failure has prepared me for what's coming next. Do I need to keep a bigger stock of alcohol ready at all times?
Nah, you'll just need to keep the usual playoff supply on hand all year.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
After the reverse sweep, I feel like we should be able to handle almost anything at this point

Unless of course they get reverse swept in the finals

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

I don't know either, i came from the bruins of the 80's and 90's where they only missed the playoffs 3 times in the 22 seasons that i was alive for. And now san jose that has only missed the playoffs twice in the past 15 seasons.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I think it will be like being a Sharks fan in the beginning. Expectations are low. You expect the team to lose and look forward to some high draft picks to build for the future. For me, it will be much easier than what we went through last year.

Reactions: Sandisfan

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I think it will be like being a Sharks fan in the beginning. Expectations are low. You expect the team to lose and look forward to some high draft picks to build for the future. For me, it will be much easier than what we went through last year.
Much harder to watch or justify paying for the games though.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Much harder to watch or justify paying for the games though.
I don't expect the COVID situation to get significantly better by the time the season starts. Makes me think that could be one of the reasons why DW may have got some kind of sign-off from Hasso to take the hit on revenue because it was not going to be great to begin with. Restock the cupboard even more next year.

I still don't expect to draft top-5 next year unless we have a slew of injuries again and both Jones/Dubnyk shit the bed. This team will probably draft in the 10-15 range.

Reactions: themelkman

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
You guys all realize the Sharks play in the Pacific right? Just curious... :huh:

Were you a fan back then? There's no way this roster is going to be as bad as those first 2 years. Without looking it up, I bet this roster is better than most if not all of the first 10 years of the franchise at a minimum.
I don't expect the COVID situation to get significantly better by the time the season starts. Makes me think that could be one of the reasons why DW may have got some kind of sign-off from Hasso to take the hit on revenue because it was not going to be great to begin with. Restock the cupboard even more next year.

I still don't expect to draft top-5 next year unless we have a slew of injuries again and both Jones/Dubnyk shit the bed. This team will probably draft in the 10-15 range.
If we're going with the premise of no slew of injuries and even league average goaltending this team finishes in the top 15 of the league.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Were you a fan back then? There's no way this roster is going to be as bad as those first 2 years. Without looking it up, I bet this roster is better than most if not all of the first 10 years of the franchise at a minimum.

I was a fan back then. There are no teams in the entire NHL as bad as the Sharks were their 1st 2 years. I wasn’t comparing how good the teams are.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
The first sharks teams being historically bad was part of what made them genuinely endearing... They were the underdogs of all underdogs... like those of us that learn to drive on a 20-year old hooptie that overheats in bumper to bumper traffic and stalls at red lights and did not even own the damn thing until 2 years later

This is why Vegas fans will NEVER understand what other expansion team fanbases have gone through... They're like the kids whose first car was a brand new lexus the day they turned 16

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
The first sharks teams being historically bad was part of what made them genuinely endearing... They were the underdogs of all underdogs... like those of us that learn to drive on a 20-year old hooptie that overheats in bumper to bumper traffic and stalls at red lights and did not even own the damn thing until 2 years later

This is why Vegas fans will NEVER understand what other expansion team fanbases have gone through... They're like the kids whose first car was a brand new lexus the day they turned 16
I also feel like this. Back then, money was tight so I only went to 1 game in the Cow Palace, but I watched on TV and really enjoyed rooting for those teams.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I was a fan back then. There are no teams in the entire NHL as bad as the Sharks were their 1st 2 years. I wasn’t comparing how good the teams are.
You said being a fan now will be similar. I don't understand that logic. That team sucked, this one is most likely mediocre but if a couple things go right, this team could be very good. I don't see how being a fan at these 2 different times is comparable.

Last edited:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
You said being a fan now will be similar. I don't understand that logic. That team sucked, this one is most likely mediocre but if a couple things go right, this team could be very good. I don't see how being a fan at these 2 different times is comparable.

Even if this team is as bad as that team and finishes with the same amount of wins. It will be much harder now then it was back then also.

Back then they were new, they had not built the fan base up yet for one, they were not expected to do anything because the expansion draft at that time litterally was the worst of the worst that teams had.

Right now you would be going into the season with fans that for the past 15-20 years have gained expectations of what the team should be like. And those expectations are at the highest level still, and are not being brought down by management by saying to not expect any different.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
You are more optimistic about our team going forward than I am. I think this team has a better chance to win the draft lottery than lift the cup. Just like when the team was new. It’s been the other way around for 20ish years.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
You are more optimistic about our team going forward than I am. I think this team has a better chance to win the draft lottery than lift the cup. Just like when the team was new. It’s been the other way around for 20ish years.

The problem for me is worse than that. I dont think we are bad enough to to finish bottom 5 again but are probably not good enough to make the playoffs either. Our best case scenario is a 1st round exit in a series that probably won't be close. Even that, is only possible because we are in the Pacific. To make it worse, given our long term contracts we will be like that for several years.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Even if this team is as bad as that team and finishes with the same amount of wins. It will be much harder now then it was back then also.

Back then they were new, they had not built the fan base up yet for one, they were not expected to do anything because the expansion draft at that time litterally was the worst of the worst that teams had.

Right now you would be going into the season with fans that for the past 15-20 years have gained expectations of what the team should be like. And those expectations are at the highest level still, and are not being brought down by management by saying to not expect any different.
I doubt that. I don't see any realistic fan thinking this is a cup contender at the moment. Also your argument is not at all what the other guy stated and what I disputed. It's not going to be similar from a fans perspective.

I think that's a limited view. I think both of those are equally unlikely. It's more likely that they finish between 10 and 20 in the league standings. Personally I think they're a playoff team in the shitty Pacific and a potential 2nd round team depending on their match up. In another division, or under the old playoff rules, they maybe don't make the playoffs or are a likely 1st round exit. My optimism comes from the length of time for players who've played a lot of hockey to recover, a new coach and system, and the number of productive players. I've also maintained that injuries similar to last year does send this team off the rails into a similar finish as last season. I think that many injuries to key players would be incredibly unlucky though so I guess we'll see.

The problem for me is worse than that. I dont think we are bad enough to to finish bottom 5 again but are probably not good enough to make the playoffs either. Our best case scenario is a 1st round exit in a series that probably won't be close. Even that, is only possible because we are in the Pacific. To make it worse, given our long term contracts we will be like that for several years.
This is pretty similar to how I look at it. But, with them likely playing in the pacific to start the playoffs, they are far more likely to finish high enough to get a favorable matchup to get to the 2nd round if more things go right than wrong. The Pacific is going to be a tire fire this next season and the Sharks have more productive vets IMO than a number of the other teams. In a few years I think there can be hope that guys like Merkley, Leonard, Ozzy, the Russian goalie and maybe a few other prospects pan out and are contributors to help out. Vlasic will also be close to completing the NM clause as well and the cap has at least a chance of increasing in 3 years. I completely agree with the not good enough to contend but not bad enough for the lottery assessment but I just don't see it as bleak as the Debbie Downer club here.

Last edited:

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
I doubt that. I don't see any realistic fan thinking this is a cup contender at the moment. Also your argument is not at all what the other guy stated and what I disputed. It's not going to be similar from a fans perspective.

I think that's a limited view. I think both of those are equally unlikely. It's more likely that they finish between 10 and 20 in the league standings. Personally I think they're a playoff team in the shitty Pacific and a potential 2nd round team depending on their match up. In another division, or under the old playoff rules, they maybe don't make the playoffs or are a likely 1st round exit. My optimism comes from the length of time for players who've played a lot of hockey to recover, a new coach and system, and the number of productive players. I've also maintained that injuries similar to last year does send this team off the rails into a similar finish as last season. I think that many injuries to key players would be incredibly unlucky though so I guess we'll see.

This is pretty similar to how I look at it. But, with them likely playing in the pacific to start the playoffs, they are far more likely to finish high enough to get a favorable matchup to get to the 2nd round if more things go right than wrong. The Pacific is going to be a tire fire this next season and the Sharks have more productive vets IMO than a number of the other teams. In a few years I think there can be hope that guys like Merkley, Leonard, Ozzy, the Russian goalie and maybe a few other prospects pan out and are contributors to help out. Vlasic will also be close to completing the NM clause as well and the cap has at least a chance of increasing in 3 years. I completely agree with the not good enough to contend but not bad enough for the lottery assessment but I just don't see it as bleak as the Debbie Downer club here.

The issue is I think we are in for a few years of this before a potential Detroit style forced rebuild. Which I really want to avoid. I honestly think that sucking for a year or two would be the best thing for us long term.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

Top 10 Martin Jones saves from 19/20 season...aka all of his saves from last season.

What kind of troll is the NHL YouTube page playing here?

Jones has never had a problem making the big save on a rush or back door feed, etc. It's the low% shots that he really seems to struggle with

i hope something he has worked on this offseason is finding the puck through screens. He let in a ton of shots from the point with traffic in front, but on replays you could see that he wasn't looking the right direction anyway.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ

Top 10 Martin Jones saves from 19/20 season...aka all of his saves from last season.

What kind of troll is the NHL YouTube page playing here?

The NHL YouTube page's Top 10 plays for the Sharks 2020 season was super grim

For a team that had the worst goaltending in the league last year, 7 of the highlights were saves, and 3 of them were saves from one game

It really was a brutal year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad