Speculation: 2020-2021: Sharks Roster Discussion Part 3 - It's still the Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
This has always been my biggest problem with Kurz. He acts like he's the smartest guy in the room because of his connections, but his speculation and hockey opinions are so narrative-based and superficial. The worst part about it, and I've said this before, is that he's a fine writer when given a good story; he just acts like his hockey opinions are so much more valid than everyone else's.

Hes been pretty smug about the Braun and Demelo contracts as well.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
That's because we're all unconnected proles who presume above our stations by acting like we can possibly know the team beyond what those noble journalists deign to tell us is the real truth of the matter.

I swear to God he always tries to live on both sides of an argument just so he can be a prick about it later.

Kurz : they were healthy and terrible
Also kurz : it's to early to fire pdb
Also also kurz : their record didn't improve under boogie
Also also also kurz : their underlying metrics did improve but not by a lot (ignoring half the top 6 and the top d was out most of the second half....)

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Who are some RW that thrive at zone entries? Trying to predict tomorrow and based on the buzzwords from this week at the draft it appears that’s the organizations big criteria right now. Haven’t been able to find a site that has that sort of stuff on it.

Reactions: themelkman

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'm surprised teams are buying into the Hall hype. He's super injury prone and his stint with the Coyotes was super unimpressive. Why gut your roster to make room for him.
Hall is definitely a good player but his injury history would concern me giving him a long term contract. For a short 2-3 year contract though, I bet a lot of teams would be ok with it.

Also, the return for Murray is underwhelming but he has 1 year left and has a terrible injury history. He would worry me more than Hall.

Reactions: Sandisfan

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
I'm surprised teams are buying into the Hall hype. He's super injury prone and his stint with the Coyotes was super unimpressive. Why gut your roster to make room for him.
The Jackets want someone to fill the void left by Panarin. Jarmo Kekäläinen generally seems pretty agressive about improving his offense, this is the guy who traded for both Duchene and Dzingle at the deadline as rentals. We complain a lot around here about top end ufas not wanting to sign here, not being a premier destination, it must be even worse for Columbus.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver

I swear to God he always tries to live on both sides of an argument just so he can be a prick about it later.

Also also also kurz : their underlying metrics did improve but not by a lot (ignoring half the top 6 and the top d was out most of the second half....)

Wasn't he on these boards vehemently defending PDB, then took to twitter and started calling out users who argued against him about it being "too early to fire PDB". This dude is acting like a tool, and not presenting the full picture.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Compared to Hayes and Anderson, Kane’s contract is a bargain.

Kane signed his deal at roughly the same age as Anderson, with slightly better production, for slightly more/year. I do agree that Kane's contract is a decently better value than Hayes's.

Reactions: Sandisfan

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Kane signed his deal at roughly the same age as Anderson, with slightly better production, for slightly more/year. I do agree that Kane's contract is a decently better value than Hayes's.
Kane was a 0.62 PPG scorer with 354 career points at the time of signing his deal. Anderson is a 0.43 PPG scorer with 115 points coming off a major shoulder surgery and a season in which he scored 4 points in 26 games. They’re frankly not comparable in the slightest. Anderson and his agent should be commended for finding a way to fleece MTL out of one of the worst contract in recent memory.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

He’ll say whatever is necessary to maintain his false sense of superiority. It’s how he copes with obvious insecurity.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Interesting, the bus cleared a lot of space. They can kind of throw ok money at any of the decent forwards available. If they grab two it might drive up the cost of the other few available

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Who are some RW that thrive at zone entries? Trying to predict tomorrow and based on the buzzwords from this week at the draft it appears that’s the organizations big criteria right now. Haven’t been able to find a site that has that sort of stuff on it.

I found three UFA right-handed forwards who appeared to be good at zone entries over the last four years, using Corey Sznajder's data:

Kyle Turris - 57.5% carry-in percentage, 20.74 entries per 60.
Craig Smith - 62.5% carry-in percentage, 15.05 entries per 60.
Tyler Toffoli - However, while he performed well in Vancouver he was terrible in Los Angeles (33.3% carry-in percentage in LA, versus 58.5% in Vancouver).

There are also a number of left-handed forwards - Dadonov, Duclair, Ennis, Soderberg, Namestnikov, Athanasiou, Cousins, Wallmark

Reactions: STL Shark and NiWa
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad