Speculation: 2020-2021: Sharks Roster Discussion Part 3 - It's still the Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Something but not much. Maybe 1 top 9 forward but we won't be in on any of the top names.
Dependant on Labanc, Jumbo, if we trade Sorensen, and how much depth we want to carry on the team we should have between 4-6m. If DW wants to do something he has the space, or potential space, to make it happen. That said, it just might be more cost effective to make a trade.

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
We have enough space to do something. It would be silly to go into the season with our only addition to the forward core being Donato. The schedule is going to be condensed, we need depth.

I completely agree with this statement. If this team truly wants to compete as they have stated, then they absolutely must add at least one forward. I love Alex True to death, but he is a fourth liner. Noah Gregor scored some goals and is fast, but his underlying numbers are concerning. Gambrell looked passive in the AHL and looks similar in the NHL. In my opinion, none of these guys or any of the others who came up last year are third liners at the moment.

Counting LaBanc and Sorensen, there are 7 forwards that seem like locks: Hertl, Couture, Kane, Donato, and Meier. Thornton and Marleau possibly brings the number to 9. I think the Sharks need two UFA forwards to compete, which leaves two spots for young guys too.

DW must take advantage of the market. I would love a top six, but the team can compete with two middle six guys, ideally on 2 year deals if possible. I believe there’s been rumors of the Sharks liking Namestikov, who could play up and down a lineup and can penalty kill. I’m ignorant to Smith’s playmaking ability. Perhaps he’s someone who falls through the cracks.

I’m perfectly fine with a transition year. However, if this team’s stated goal is the playoffs and compete, then they need to take the steps to do so.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Agreed, without a solid top 6 acquisition we are a middle of the pack at best squad. Our greatest need coming into this off-season was forward talent, everyone and their mother knew that. I don't believe for a second that DW is done with just the Donato acquisition.
Yeah, I think DW is mostly setting things up with the expectation that nothing is happening right away. I don't expect the Sharks to make a move tomorrow, the weekend, or maybe even for a few weeks. The top couple guys (Toffoli and Dadanov) will likely be well off the table by then, but eventually there will be good players who just need any contract, or teams willing to pay picks to take effective forwards.

Don't make a move right away. Make it look like you aren't doing one. Wait until someone who you wanted anyways is begging you for that cap space.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
Dependant on Labanc, Jumbo, if we trade Sorensen, and how much depth we want to carry on the team we should have between 4-6m. If DW wants to do something he has the space, or potential space, to make it happen. That said, it just might be more cost effective to make a trade.
I have no problem with a trade as long as our 1st round pick stays with us. I dont won't to go through a season like that and not have a high pick again.

Reactions: themelkman

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Maybe Doug wants to save cash to grab someone like Landeskog next offseason. This season could end up being a wash anyways so why not save your money for a real year

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Yeah, I think DW is mostly setting things up with the expectation that nothing is happening right away. I don't expect the Sharks to make a move tomorrow, the weekend, or maybe even for a few weeks. The top couple guys (Toffoli and Dadanov) will likely be well off the table by then, but eventually there will be good players who just need any contract, or teams willing to pay picks to take effective forwards.

Don't make a move right away. Make it look like you aren't doing one. Wait until someone who you wanted anyways is begging you for that cap space.
Thought as much. Just not enough cap space to do much. But if we should have a bit of cap space at the TDL to do something if we want to add for a run or maybe take on a contract to get an asset.

I completely agree with this statement. If this team truly wants to compete as they have stated, then they absolutely must add at least one forward. I love Alex True to death, but he is a fourth liner. Noah Gregor scored some goals and is fast, but his underlying numbers are concerning. Gambrell looked passive in the AHL and looks similar in the NHL. In my opinion, none of these guys or any of the others who came up last year are third liners at the moment.

Counting LaBanc and Sorensen, there are 7 forwards that seem like locks: Hertl, Couture, Kane, Donato, and Meier. Thornton and Marleau possibly brings the number to 9. I think the Sharks need two UFA forwards to compete, which leaves two spots for young guys too.

DW must take advantage of the market. I would love a top six, but the team can compete with two middle six guys, ideally on 2 year deals if possible. I believe there’s been rumors of the Sharks liking Namestikov, who could play up and down a lineup and can penalty kill. I’m ignorant to Smith’s playmaking ability. Perhaps he’s someone who falls through the cracks.

I’m perfectly fine with a transition year. However, if this team’s stated goal is the playoffs and compete, then they need to take the steps to do so.

We need a legit top 6 and we can't expect to have the kids step up or only bring in 3rd liners. It won't be Hall, but we need somebody solid. DW shouldn't overspend in the ufa, we don't have enough capspace, but if he can find a good deal on a top 6 tomorrow that would be great. Just no Boedker type signings. I expect DW has been working the phones and knows what's out there for trade. He's also an opportunist, if a team is in trouble he'll take advantage.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Maybe Doug wants to save cash to grab someone like Landeskog next offseason. This season could end up being a wash anyways so why not save your money for a real year
I always thought we should not spend to the cap in 20-21 so that we have a high pick in 21. Take on some bad contracts to stock up on more picks and prospects. But if DW truly wants to compete, like he said, I don't see that happening. I expect him to land a top-6 F somehow.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
I always thought we should not spend to the cap in 20-21 so that we have a high pick in 21. Take on some bad contracts to stock up on more picks and prospects. But if DW truly wants to compete, like he said, I don't see that happening. I expect him to land a top-6 F somehow.
I think Hasso wants us to compete too, he seems way more invested in the team's success than most owners.

Reactions: Erep

sharski

Jun 4, 2012

1. if anyone has earned the right to sign with whatever team they want it’s jumbo

2. a farewell tour that ends up being a heel turn would be a BRILLIANT move and definitely be a top NHL story if it happened. It would be insanely entertaining for him to dye his beard black, wear sunglasses indoors, refer to himself in 3rd person as Vegas Baby Joe and start gooning it up every single game

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I did too, but I really havent seen any indication from any sources that thats the case. I know the sharks are usally more tight lipped but you wouldve thought we would have heard something.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
If the cap space isn't used for actual help, then take on someone's deadweight for assets. What players are cap anchors with only a year left?

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver

Do we know how strong next years draft is? If we do suck I really hope its not a weak draft like 2012.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Craig Smith seems like he’d be a really solid add on a short term deal
I think he'd be a good fit within out budget.

If the cap space isn't used for actual help, then take on someone's deadweight for assets. What players are cap anchors with only a year left?

I doubt this happens. The space will be used to make the team better now. We aren't going to burn a year, our guys are too old. If DW does good enough via ufa or trade we should make the playoffs with the possibility of going deep. There will be a lot of teams getting worse this season and our needs aren't that hard to fill. That said, no long term deals or dumb contracts. After the expansion draft, Dubnyk's gone, and we maybe make a buyout. We'll have more flexibility to add long term options.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Do we know how strong next years draft is? If we do suck I really hope its not a weak draft like 2012.
DW has said that next year's draft isn't as good as this year. One reason he said he didn't want to trade this year's picks.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
He also said that the 2021 first is important to him and he didnt want to deal it
Yep. He knows that we need to replenish our prospect depth, which he also sees are trade capital. He played hardball with the Wild, got them to take picks from 2021 and 2020.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
We need a legit top 6 and we can't expect to have the kids step up or only bring in 3rd liners. It won't be Hall, but we need somebody solid. DW shouldn't overspend in the ufa, we don't have enough capspace, but if he can find a good deal on a top 6 tomorrow that would be great. Just no Boedker type signings. I expect DW has been working the phones and knows what's out there for trade. He's also an opportunist, if a team is in trouble he'll take advantage.
f*** cap space. The Hawks didn't care when they won't their first one of the modern era. Go a few million over what are they gonna do lol

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I think the only players we should target in the UFA market are low cost, high risk forwards like Athanasiou or Duclair who have talent but have warts in their game that have dragged down their on-ice results and favor among their teams over the past few years. And even those two are probably out of my ideal price range. Come to think of it, a better example is probably Alex Wennberg. I’d overpay him a bit on a one-year deal.

The one big price UFA that I would be willing to make an exception for is Craig Smith. I think he’s under valued relative to what he contributes and I think he could provide surplus value relative to his salary although I don’t know that his play style is something we need more of. I’d also take a look at Mikael Granlund and Jesper Fast.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA