Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Senators Prospect Watch - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020

Holy.

Where was that RJ at the WJHC?

I don’t understand inconsistent effort at these levels. Is that really the answer? Because, how did they get to to the pre-NHL level to begin with? And once there, effort+ability is what will make you a star (rich) vs trying to make a go of it making a risky living that could end on a dime (injury).

Anyway, nice to see the skills and ability. I hope he has a fire lit under him indeed.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Holy.

Where was that RJ at the WJHC?

I don’t understand inconsistent effort at these levels. Is that really the answer? Because, how did they get to to the pre-NHL level to begin with? And once there, effort+ability is what will make you a star (rich) vs trying to make a go of it making a risky living that could end on a dime (injury).

Anyway, nice to see the skills and ability. I hope he has a fire lit under him indeed.

Like I've said before, it's a weird season and a weird year for a lot of these kids. Interruptions in training, seasons, lots of mental stress, most people would be lying if they've told you the last year was easy. Though RJ did come with question marks about his consistency this past year could be largely attributed tot the problems we've seen. I hope he comes over to Belleville next year as I think consistency issues are something that can be coached out to a certain extent. Also, with a normal off-season of training and pre season camps I think we should expect better of RJ as the skill is clearly there.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Jarventie turned 18 in August, he's 7 months younger than Stutzle. The Liiga is not the NHL but it's still a men's league, normal that there was ups and downs

Hard to explain how un-engaged he was at the WJC though but in the end, he's still pretty raw. Have to be patient with these kind of projects. Not everyone is a Ridly Greig :naughty:

Edit : fixed a number

Last edited:
Reactions: Sens in Process

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Jarventie turned 18 in August, he's 5 months younger than Stutzle. The Liiga is not the NHL but it's still a men's league, normal that there was ups and downs

Hard to explain how un-engaged he was at the WJC though but in the end, he's still pretty raw. Have to be patient with these kind of projects. Not everyone is a Ridly Greig :naughty:
Jarventie’s 8 months younger than Stutzle.

Sanderson’s 7 months younger than Stutzle

Grieg’s 8 months younger than Stutzle.

Sens went for developmentally young, NHL bloodlines with their early picks outside of Stutzle.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
And just like that the Sens have found two players this season that were not on our radar before the season started. Artem Zub has been a huge surprise on defence & certainly upgraded the position from where it was to start the season. He's got good size & seems very poised with the puck offensively & is very good defensively, not flashy but a solid all around good defenceman.

Ridly Greig arguably has been the best player in Belleville at 18 yrs of age & he may have to go back to junior if & when the WHL starts to play again. I hope that Ottawa gives this kid a few games in Ottawa this yr to showcase him & reward him for his terrific start in Belleville. He's not a big kid & needs to put on a few lbs, but he seems to have a high skillset, plays a 200' all around good game with a non-stop motor. Add these two to the other good prospects coming & the future looks brighter even though both the AHL & NHL teams were off to a rough start of their seasons this yr.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
And just like that the Sens have found two players this season that were not on our radar before the season started. Artem Zub has been a huge surprise on defence & certainly upgraded the position from where it was to start the season. He's got good size & seems very poised with the puck offensively & is very good defensively, not flashy but a solid all around good defenceman.

Ridly Greig arguably has been the best player in Belleville at 18 yrs of age & he may have to go back to junior if & when the WHL starts to play again. I hope that Ottawa gives this kid a few games in Ottawa this yr to showcase him & reward him for his terrific start in Belleville. He's not a big kid & needs to put on a few lbs, but he seems to have a high skillset, plays a 200' all around good game with a non-stop motor. Add these two to the other good prospects coming & the future looks brighter even though both the AHL & NHL teams were off to a rough start of their seasons this yr.
But he's 5'11"... are you okay @aragorn ?

Kidding aside, it's really a shame he has to go back to junior if he's doing so well at the professional level.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
2 assists for Guenette in a 6-2 Val DÒr win tonight

Is this guy currently the most sneakily-underrated prospect in the stables at the moment? Should Angus Crookshank start looking in the rear view mirror and show us that hes more than a badass name, and retain his title?

Guenette has been held back in many ways by spending his entire junior career on a brutal Val d'Or team (until this season that is). Hes a 7th round pick in his D+2 year. So how much can we take away from the success that hes having this season?

Cant say that Ive seen him play other than a few clips, but if my spidey sense is right on this one, I think there's a lot more than meets the eye to this seemingly un-noteworthy late round pick.

Reactions: aragorn

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Both of his assists last night were on the PowerPlay, of his 20 points 8 have come on the PP 3g 5a

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Using your stick to "push" another player is literally the definition of a cross check.

There are a few of dark horses in this org that I like & keep an eye on. I've always liked Parker Kelly since I saw him at a development camp with a non-stop motor & for a smaller guy likes to hit & seems similar to Greig or vice-a-versa although I assume Greig should be the better goal scorer.

Guennette is another young guy who is under the radar, good size, good skater & seems to be able to put up pts. Not sure how good he is defensively, but with his size I would guess he doesn't get pushed around much either. He could turn out to be a poor man's Chabot & he's a right shot which probably puts him in direct competition with Thomson & Brannstrom who I don't see playing on the left side on any future team given that it should be Sanderson's spot.

Kastelic is the 3rd dark horse, again after seeing him at the development camp & rookie tournament. I noticed that the coaches were using him a lot on faceoffs in both the offensive & defensive zones in most situations, but especially on important faceoffs. They clearly think he was their best faceoff guy & maybe that's his path to the NHL to be great at faceoffs, we'll see. He's big, tough, not a great skater but not slow either & he hits, block shots & plays a decent defensive game & can chip in offensively. I would characterize this guy as potentially a good playoff warrior. I have high hopes for Kleven as well.

Reactions: SensontheRush

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

That’s a freakin’ superstar windup if I’ve ever seen one.

Good thing Stepan vacated #15 because here comes Kleven.

Pump the brakes you mad lad, and then kindly pass her to the left.

I at least need to see him with his feet planted calling for the puck wagging by his stick in the air at around the 200 degree mark before Im ready to put even him up in the same sentence as a freakin allstar. I felt like his feet were moving too much and the stick didnt stay in the air nearly long enough for the opposing team to forget he was on the ice and not totally useless - it was all just an act.

#15 was the master of efficiency and conserving energy, and his ratio of on ice effort to point production was a thing of legends.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bileur

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

I am trying to put my finger on why I like this guy so much (name aside) despite not really knowing that much about him.

I think it's because he seems to score every which way. Drives the net, gets rebounds, off the rush and then his one-timer.

He is a dark horse for me and hope he shows the scoring knack at the next level.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Jarvente only played 11:49 in a 2-1 win, zero points.
Maybe it’s a good learning year for him. Like oh I need to work on some shit if I want to play. Hope he’s getting good coaching and strength training.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad