2020-2021 Roster Thread

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I'd think that if a prospect came up and blew the doors off the building, Hynes and Poile wouldn't hesitate to put them in the lineup.

Players have gotten chances, they just haven't done enough to hold that spot when opportunity has been given. It's a two-way street.

I'd like to see more opportunity for them as well, but I fully understand why it's not been given when you look at it from the perspective of Lavi, Hynes and Poile who have millions riding on the performance of the roster.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I wouldn't mind seeing Pitlick or Tolvanen getting in action but I don't think they would the saviors of this team ultimately. It's not like we have the second coming of Gretzky in our prospect pool or else they would surely get some NHL playing-time.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I wonder how much of a concern there might be about playing prospects vs. playing them in a "position to succeed" relative to their strengths? I don't know, I don't think we've had a very strong field of prospect candidates at forward to really judge well lately, though. A guy like Trenin, if he falls into a cycle of needing to play "safe" and purely physical just to keep his spot on the 4th line and not get sent to the pressbox, well, it sort of limits his opportunity to move up, and if that keeps on long enough he might just get pigeon-holed as a 4th line grinder. As one example, anyway.
:dunno:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I'd think that if a prospect came up and blew the doors off the building, Hynes and Poile wouldn't hesitate to put them in the lineup.

Players have gotten chances, they just haven't done enough to hold that spot when opportunity has been given. It's a two-way street.

I'd like to see more opportunity for them as well, but I fully understand why it's not been given when you look at it from the perspective of Lavi, Hynes and Poile who have millions riding on the performance of the roster.
Tomasino hasn't been giving a chance, and honestly, neither has Tolvanen.

Reactions: adsfan

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019

I just don’t see Jarnkrok, Grimaldi, Cousins, Haula and Richardson or, for that matter, Sissons blowing the doors off the building either. I guess I was led to believe by Poile we might use some of the kids this year. I know we may still see them but the off season signings sort of indicated Preds would use the acquired veterans. Just confusing to me.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I just don’t see Jarnkrok, Grimaldi, Cousins, Haula and Richardson or, for that matter, Sissons blowing the doors off the building either. I guess I was led to believe by Poile we might use some of the kids this year. I know we may still see them but the off season signings sort of indicated Preds would use the acquired veterans. Just confusing to me.

Tomasino and Tolvanen aren't bottom six guys which limits who they replace.

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
Tomasino and Tolvanen aren't bottom six guys which limits who they replace.
Agreed, and the re-signing of Granlund closed the door on both of these guys initially. But I believe management is anticipating a need for one or both of those guys during the season, whether it be to injury or COVID related absences. That may be when we see one of these two given an opportunity with top 6 minutes.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Agreed, and the re-signing of Granlund closed the door on both of these guys initially. But I believe management is anticipating a need for one or both of those guys during the season, whether it be to injury or COVID related absences. That may be when we see one of these two given an opportunity with top 6 minutes.

Tolvanen is 21, Tomasino 19 ... they're on the typical timeline for a late 1st round pick.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Yeah so far nine guys from Tomasino's draft have played an NHL game and only three of them have played more than ten. Those three were picks 1, 2, and 3.

I'd be fine to throw Tolvanen in, but he hasn't really done anything in the last two years that screams we need to be playing him.

Reactions: 101st_fan

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Yeah so far nine guys from Tomasino's draft have played an NHL game and only three of them have played more than ten. Those three were picks 1, 2, and 3.

I'd be fine to throw Tolvanen in, but he hasn't really done anything in the last two years that screams we need to be playing him.
It's not like the 3rd person with Duchene and Granlund are doing much at the moment either. Why not roll him in for the occasional game and let him start getting experience.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah, it's not what Tolvanen has done... he has underwhelmed... it's more what the rest of the team HASN'T done. Which is score goals on the PP. The concern with Tolvanen is that he might turn out to be a One Trick Pony who doesn't have the dimensionality to play in the NHL.

However, his One Trick... a quick release that results in goals from a certain "office" on the ice... might be exactly the most pressing need of our current team. :oops:

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Neither is Grimaldi yet we find space for him.

I'd also add, we only really play 1 checking/grind line, that's the 4th line. We absolutely could play either of those guys on the on 3rd line.

The question then is who in the current lineup are they actually better than? More versatile than?

Grimaldi isn't an every day player now (4 of 7 games played this season). He was a 3rd liner with Bonino and Smith last season.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
The question then is who in the current lineup are they actually better than? More versatile than?

Grimaldi isn't an every day player now (4 of 7 games played this season). He was a 3rd liner with Bonino and Smith last season.
Grimaldi(whom I admire), Cousins and Richardson are place holders. They have”been around” and have no future here. The same is true of the “B twins” on D. That’s 5 guys holding places that wait on prospects or somebody. This is one of the Preds continuing problems. Tolvanen has 7 NHL games, Carrier 5, Pitlick 1, Tomasino of course 0; these certainly don’t constitute chances in the lineup. After 4 years Trenin got 21 games to earn a look on the 4th line this year.Almost all these guys were at least pretty good in Milwaukee. I just think it’s a problem.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Grimaldi(whom I admire), Cousins and Richardson are place holders. They have”been around” and have no future here. The same is true of the “B twins” on D. That’s 5 guys holding places that wait on prospects or somebody. This is one of the Preds continuing problems. Tolvanen has 7 NHL games, Carrier 5, Pitlick 1, Tomasino of course 0; these certainly don’t constitute chances in the lineup. After 4 years Trenin got 21 games to earn a look on the 4th line this year.Almost all these guys were at least pretty good in Milwaukee. I just think it’s a problem.
The counterargument to this - which I may or may not adhere to depending on the day of the week :) - is that none of those guys - Tolvanen, Carrier, Pitlick anyway - have done anything that necessarily clearly shows they are NHL candidates. I've argued at times in favor of playing them too. But I've also seen the other side at times. Tolvanen's stats in the AHL aren't interesting, and he definitely did not look remotely close to an NHL player in the camp scrimmages. Usually I argue in favor of Carrier, but he did look a bit scrawny and unimpressive in the camp scrimmages also. Pitlick wasn't even on the radar.

Being "pretty good" in the AHL... well, that's not exactly the highest bar, I think that's the thing we struggle to calibrate our expectations to. Every team has a handful of players who are pretty good in the AHL and will simply never become NHL regulars. :(

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
The counterargument to this - which I may or may not adhere to depending on the day of the week :) - is that none of those guys - Tolvanen, Carrier, Pitlick anyway - have done anything that necessarily clearly shows they are NHL candidates. I've argued at times in favor of playing them too. But I've also seen the other side at times. Tolvanen's stats in the AHL aren't interesting, and he definitely did not look remotely close to an NHL player in the camp scrimmages. Usually I argue in favor of Carrier, but he did look a bit scrawny and unimpressive in the camp scrimmages also. Pitlick wasn't even on the radar.

Being "pretty good" in the AHL... well, that's not exactly the highest bar, I think that's the thing we struggle to calibrate our expectations to. Every team has a handful of players who are pretty good in the AHL and will simply never become NHL regulars. :(
Of course, I agree. But every team also has a handful of players who are pretty good in the AHL and become NHL regulars. I’m not debating really; just saying that I’d like to see the Preds give some of their young forwards some quality NHL ice time this year.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
What I'm hoping happens is this team gets it together or just comes apart early. If it gets it together then great, if it doesn't you offload guys like Granlund, Haula, and Richardson and play the young dudes.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
PK looked much better without Richardson. Tolvanen deserves another game cause of the goal. Trenin/Cousins experiment on the top line did not work, rather see Kunin there.

Tinordi with a horrible game, completely overmatched against the Champs.

Forsberg - Duchene - Granlund
Kunin - Johansen - Arvidsson
Cousins - Haula - Tolvanen
Trenin - Sissons - Olivier/Grimaldi

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Joey on IR. Lineup stays intact from Friday, except Borowiecki draws back in for Tinordi.

Wonder where's Kunin? Not on IR but has been out for over a week.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Joey is week to week, I don't even think anyone noticed what the injury was at the time either, but it can't be too good. Hopefully he's back in March and better than ever.
Week to week is a bad sign. On the plus side, we have some weaker opponents in the coming weeks
This week: lightning x2 and red wings x2
Next week: stars x2 and CBJ x2
Week after: red wings x2 and CBJ x2

we have historically owned CBJ, red wings are worse then us. Lightning and stars are the trouble spots here but 8/12 games against wings and CBJ could bode well for us. Still we need to beat the teams infront of us if we are gonna catch up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad