2020-2021 Roster Discussion II-STAY ON TOPIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Maybe.

But I hate relying on such young players in prominent roles if they are trying to contend.

What happens if he struggles?

Then they are where they seem to be every March...overpaying for a top 6 winger.

I’d rather they get that winger now for Bjork+ and let Studnicka develop on line 3.

Agreed but if they had spotted a couple of them in here and there even at the cost of not winning the GD "Presidents Trophy" it would've been more productive to the team as a whole going forward. All year long people have been clamoring for Stud and Fredd to play but I guess Butch didn't trust them enough to try them. Now besides those 2 they don't know enough about what Senyshen and on defense, Zboril can do. It would be nice to let guys get some confidence in doing that too.

Reactions: sarge88

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I can’t say that I’d be heartbroken if they moved him, but if it came down to him playing on line 3 or Bjork, Ritchie, Kuhlman, etc. I’d take JDB 100/100.

But, can you rely on a guy who is essentially unreliable, even on the third line? If they get more around them, real or even big name talent, I could see dropping DeBrusk down to the third line, taking what he can give you, and riding his backside to be better in all three zones.

Absent that, goodbye Jake.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
But, can you rely on a guy who is essentially unreliable, even on the third line? If they get more around them, real or even big name talent, I could see dropping DeBrusk down to the third line, taking what he can give you, and riding his backside to be better in all three zones.

Absent that, goodbye Jake.

In fairness he’s averaging, what 22, 23 goals per year over the last 2?

Now that might dip a bit playing on line 3, but if they get a 30 goal guy to take his spot on line 2 and he scores 18-20 on line three, that’s not bad production for the middle two LW’s.

Assume Marchand for 28-30 —-Hoffman/Hall for 30 and JDB for 18 and that’s a huge number of goals from one wing.

I mean Heinen was considered a solid third liner here and he had 7 goals. Bjork had 9. So DeBrusk is likely to score more goals next year than two guys who played third line quite a bit this year.
(I know it wasn’t a full year - but JDB also outscored them combined this year too).

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Maybe I'd keep DeBrusk in a third line role. He is not a second line player. Again, if the guy is streaky and gives you nothing else, and then goes dark with predictable regularlity, what good is he? If I can't depend on a player to preform consistently and reliably, I get rid of him.

And that's what I'd do with DeBrusk. Trade him. Don't waste cap space better applied elsewhere. They can still get something of value for him.
Yes I agree to a certain extent but trading all 3 of the 2015 first round draft picks would look really bad for Sweeney. I really doubt that they trade JDB for exactly that reason. The other 2 I think should and will probably get a shot and if they don't Neely needs to be asking Sweeney some tough questions. Besides that, with the Bruins history of getting rid of Kessel, Seguin, Joe Thornton I can't imagine that they want to continue it further. It really looks terrible on the scouting and management staff IMO. Now if they were to fire or move Sweeney into another job and got a new GM with new scouts then they could do it without looking foolish because those 3 weren't taken by them.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
In fairness he’s averaging, what 22, 23 goals per year over the last 2?

Now that might dip a bit playing on line 3, but if they get a 30 goal guy to take his spot on line 2 and he scores 18-20 on line three, that’s not bad production for the middle two LW’s.

Assume Marchand for 28-30 —-Hoffman/Hall for 30 and JDB for 18 and that’s a huge number of goals from one wing.

I mean Heinen was considered a solid third liner here and he had 7 goals. Bjork had 9. So DeBrusk is likely to score more goals next year than two guys who played third line quite a bit this year.
(I know it wasn’t a full year - but JDB also outscored them combined this year too).

This is fair. In a third line role, let's see. If he can contribute as you suggest, perhaps. But he must learn to be a three zone player. Even on the third line, you can't have a one dimensional player. Not on my team, any way.

Good points. Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: sarge88

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Yes I agree to a certain extent but trading all 3 of the 2015 first round draft picks would look really bad for Sweeney. I really doubt that they trade JDB for exactly that reason. The other 2 I think should and will probably get a shot and if they don't Neely needs to be asking some tough questions to DS. Besides that, with the Bruins history of getting rid of Kessel, Seguin, Joe Thornton I can't imagine that they want to continuate it further. It really looks terrible on the scouting and management staff IMO. Now if they were to fire or move Sweeney into another job and got a new GM with new scouts then they could do it without looking foolish because those 3 weren't taken by them.

You're probably right. I dont really know what JZ or ZS can bring, though I've read they're not total washouts. I'm just, unreasonably so, pretty much over the whole mess.

And I know GM's won't trade X or Y because they drafted X or Y, and to do so admits failure. Again, they should see what these two have for a long look in the NHL and act accordingly.

That, I can deal with. Sooner rather than later. And it's late.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
So what do we do with the famous Ritchie brothers ?

Get rid of them. I don't mean to be uncharitable, but neither will work out for the Bruins. It would be a case of, "If he just has enough conditioning, if he gets one more year" blah effety blah.

If neither got the message playing for this club, with its leadership, they are never going to get it. And, ps, Nick played like a bonehead in the TBL series. He didn't play like a JAG, which they have too many of, he hurt the team with his stupid play.

Sorry.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Look at us all here, Bruins fans to the end. Although the playoffs are going on it's still September and here we are on Saturday night talking rebuilding the Bruins. Diehard fans to the core!

Bathetic (not pathethic, look it up) B's fans to the core.

Off to check some Netflix fare, and, inevitably, an episode of "The Dick Van Dyke Show."

Good night all.

"I'll be back."

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
I was all in for the "window's closed, re-tool" train, but the prospect of Hall gives us one more shot.
So, all I care about seeing on the team are:

Marchy/Bergy/Pasta
Hall/Krjeci/????
????/Coyle/????

????/Mac
????/Carlo
Lauzon/????
Chara

Everyone else can go, if need be. Regardless, you have Debrusk, Bjork, Kase, and like 19 kids in providence who can play on the 3rd and 4th lines. Don't need a whole shitload of "defensively responsible" but offensively-challenged "vets" gumming up the works. Stick the kids in instead.

Last edited:

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I was all in for the "window's closed, re-to0l" train, but the prospect of Hall gives us one more shot.
So, all I care about seeing on the team are:

Marchy/Bergy/Pasta
Hall/Krjeci/????
????/Coyle/????

????/Mac
????/Carlo
Lauzon/????
Chara

Everyone else can go, if need be. Regardless, you have Debrusk, Bjork, Kase, and like 19 kids in providence who can play on the 3rd and 4th lines. Don't need a whole shitload of "defensively responsible" but offensively-challenged "vets" gumming up the works. Stick the kids in instead.
Imwhichew! I feel the exact same way for the most part. It's time for the "kids" to sink or swim. We need an infusion of top end talent to take the onus off the older core, after that instead of more Lindholms I want enthusiastic, hungry kids filling out the bottom of the roster.
Edit: Add to that, it's time for Sweeney to do what he did in 2015 and clear out some deadweight and get some picks. Then pick the best player available and stop with overdoing the attitude of not picking a Barzal or whoever is the best prospect for the "nice, gentlemanly, good guy" kind of pick. I would go for the biggest, fastest, meanest. Of course that's overstating the point but you get what I'm saying (I think). Funny thing, IIRC in 2015 those first rounders couldn't do a stinken' push-up. I mean WTF didn't they have them in for physical endurance tests? If they did WHO the **** did the testing? Fire him!

Last edited:

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
I like Hall as the playmaking LW paired for the next 5+ years with Pastrnak. For some reason I see Coyle really doing a great job getting him the puck.

Hall - Coyle - Pastrnak
Marchand - Bergeron - XXX
DeBrusk - Krejci - Kase

Three solid pairings in the top 9. Bjork, Studnicka, Ritchie, Senyshyn and company all fight for a chance to be the 2nd line RW. Whoever can have chemistry with those two the best, wins the spot.

Back to 2011 where Marchand and Bergeron (and Recchi/Seguin(Rookie) were given 2nd line duties and scored when it mattered. Force other teams to have to play against that 1st line.

A Hart trophy playmaker paired with a Rocket Richard winner.

If you can neutralize them, then you now have to deal with Marchand-Bergeron.

If you neutralize them, you now have to deal with playoff Krejci on his last year of his contract and a year of working with Kase while DeBrusk continues to develop his game.

DEPTH
Coyle can have Hall the year after next, after Krejci is gone.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
Continued from he:

2020-2021 Roster Discussion -STAY ON TOPIC

from @Dizzay :

Looking forward to next season, I know we're in the playoffs and should be focused on that, but what do you guys see happening with roster moves going into next season. Some big questions:

1) Does Chara return?
2) Does Rask come back
3) Do we pony up for Krug and if so, whats the cost?
4) Is Debrusk etched in as our #2 LW or do we go get a Taylor Hall?
5) Are there any UFA's that make sense for our team?

Marshy-Bergy-Pasta
XXXX-Krejci-Kase
Ritchie-Coyle-Bjork
Kuraly-Lindholm-Wagner

Studnicka, Frederic, Blidh,

XXXX-McAvoy
XXXX-Carlo
Lauzon-Clifton

Vaak, Moore

Rask
Halak
Vlader

UFA/RFA
Chara
Krug
Gryzz
Nordstrom
Zboril
Debrusk
Senyshyn​
Hilarious that Senyshyn and Zboril are RFAs without getting anything more than a cup of coffee in the NHL. Nope, gotta have Par Lindholm racking up his 19 career points (6 with Boston!) and John Moore eating up $2.75m of cap space (I mean, $2.5 m wasn't enough Donny?) :rolleyes:

What's wrong with sticking Senyshyn and Frederic and Studnicka and Lauko and and and on the 4th line?

Memokerobi

May 4, 2018
Here’s an out of the box approach to our winger problem. If we can’t/won’t land Hall or even Hoffman, we can sign two wingers.

I think moving Pasta to Krejci’s line makes a lot of sense. Maybe he won’t be a 50 goal scorer anymore but it should definitely help spread out our offensive production.

We can use FA to add a RW to play with Marchand and Bergeron. Two guys stand out to me for this role: Craig Smith and Tyler Toffoli.

Both are regular 20+ goal scorers. Good at both ends. Especially Smith is a high energy, fast guy who can also shoot. And they wouldn’t be that big of financial burdens.

For the 2nd line LW role with Krejc&Pasta I think they’d still have the money to get a guy like Hoffman. But with Krejci and Pasta playing together, the 3rd guy on that line needs to be a complimentary piece.

For this role Jimmy Vesey may be an under the radar type target. Yes he never lived up to the hype but he’s still a useful middle 6 forward. He’s big, goes to the net and was really good this year defensively too and should help the other two in that regard as well. 51 of his 59 career goals have also come at even strength so that’s another huge plus for the Bs. And again, won’t break the bank.

This way you can use DeBrusk-Kase on the 3rd giving you very solid 3 lines. And they can always put Pasta back on the 1st line but they’d at least have a capable RW for Krejci in Smith/Toffoli. If Vesey doesn’t work out, you have an established fallback plan in DeBrusk.

Lines would look something like this:

Marchand-Bergeron-Smith/Toffoli
Vesey-Krejci-Pasta
DeBrusk-Coyle-Kase
4th line

This would help save money which they can re invest for blue line help with possible Krug/Chara departures or other needs

Last edited:

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
Chara needs to sign for minimum wage to help team as much as he can.
Isn't the minimum around 700k?

Also what do you guys think about Granlund? Had a pretty bad season, but he was traded to Preds the same day his child was born. Could play C/Wing, has career high 26G+43A season, probably looking for a longterm 2C/Wing spot. He could be a lot cheaper than Hoff/Dadonov/Hall/Toffoli. Could be a cheap option, not the best one for sure. A reliable scorer, who could score 30+ with Krejci, or if you like Pasta with Krejci could be 1RW. Way better than Kase on RW.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Best thing that can happen to the Bruins is the Islanders winning the Cup.

They are everything the Bruins aren’t ~ a two line balanced team, a consistent in personnel and old school style 4th line, a flexible third line with a high end consistent center - and a 6 man almost faceless D that are all good at something and good overall

the good news the Bruins have all the ingredients to replicate this

they would actually have to create a second scoring line but they easily could getting away from all eggs in one basket philosophy

Coyle can play the part of Pageau- different style but a high end guy

DeBrusk could play the part of Beauvillier on second line - but he needs to arguably be the third best player like Beauvillier in theory is

Kuraly-Studnicka-Wagner gives you a heck of a 4th line

all right there with minimal personnel changes only philosophical ones - that’s the rub when you have a Holy Core not a bunch of apostles

Reactions: goalieman40
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad