Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Prospect Thread (CHL, NCAA, Europe) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
To get the prospect thread back on topic, let's talk a little bit about some of the good news stories for some prospects whose stock has risen this past year.

Bowen Byram - After a great performance as captain of Team Canada at the WJC, he quickly made his pro debut with the Avs, and immediately showed off his rock-solid defensive prowess and coolness under pressure, as well as flashing some offensive tools as he gained confidence. Despite the injury-shortened season, he proved that he belongs in the NHL.

Conor Timmins - Established himself as an NHL regular this year, playing all 10 postseason games. And while he's still looking for his first goal, he's playing better at both ends of the ice and proving that he belongs at least as a bottom pair D for now. Since he only has 45 NHL games played, he's still going to count as a "prospect" for this summer's polls.

Alex Newhook - After scoring 3G3A at the WJC for Team Canada, he went back to college after missing some time with injury. He ended his college career after 16 points in 12 games and turned pro, immediately contributing to the Eagles squad and quickly earning a 4th line spot with the big club, where he scored his first NHL goal and added 4 assists to start his NHL career.

Martin Kaut - Despite not getting much of a look at the NHL level, Kaut was dynamite for the Eagles, with 16 points in 20 games he found his scoring touch at that level, and now all that's left is for him to get a crack at the NHL squad.

Jean-Luc Foudy - Playing most of the year against men in the AHL, Foudy acquitted himself well in mostly third line usage, scoring 14 points in 34 games and showing that he's already able to withstand the rigors of the pro game. Next year he goes back to the OHL, where his experience and age should provide him with lots of top six minutes.

Justin Barron - After scoring nearly a point per game in the Q as a defenseman, he made his pro debut, scoring 1G3A in 7 games and proving he can adjust quickly to the pro game.

Drew Helleson - After his breakout performance at the WJC with team USA, where he was solid as a rock, he returned to Boston College, doubling his point total from his freshman year and earning key minutes on the blueline, showing off his IQ and refining his all around game.

Sampo Ranta - After a dominant junior season in the NCAA where he scored 19 goals and 31 points in 31 games, he made his pro debut, continuing to progress in the AHL and earning himself a call-up to the big squad, where he got his first NHL cup of coffee.

Colby Ambrosio - Stepping into Newhook's 2C role while he was away with Team Canada, he earned top six minutes on a good BC team, mostly on the wing once Newhook returned. He ended his freshman season with 15 points in 24 games, and is looking to step into a larger role on the team now that Newhook and Boldy have moved on.

Alex Beaucage - Scoring 17 goals in just 22 regular season games in the shortened QMJHL season, Beaucage followed it up with 25 points in 16 playoff games as the Tigres claimed the QMJHL championship, capping it off with the overtime winner to clinch the President's cup for his team. Now signed to an ELC, he'll continue his career with the Eagles.

I know this place is bitter as hell right now about the loss to the Knights, but the state of the prospect pool should show that there's still hope for the org as these guys start to push their way into the NHL.
Right now this is still just a list of question marks. The Avs drafting record outside the 1st is horrible and should be trashed until they start bringing in solid NHLers from late picks. Even the most likely impact NHL players on that list are all 1st rounders, except Timmins who was picked #32.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Right now this is still just a list of question marks. The Avs drafting record outside the 1st is horrible and should be trashed until they start bringing in solid NHLers from late picks. Even the most likely impact NHL players on that list are all 1st rounders, except Timmins who was picked #32.
Your pessimism is justified, but IMO all those prospects took positive developmental steps this season that raised their stock. That's what you always want to see from those question mark guys. As long as they keep moving forward, they're on the right track.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Since it's impossible to know for sure how the offseason and camp will go, I'll say what I think SHOULD happen.

Byram, Timmins, and Newhook should all be in the NHL, in order of likelihood. Byram's clearly ready to take the next step, Timmins took another step in the playoffs, and while Newhook can maybe learn more from the AHL I think the need for ELCs will force him onto the squad.

Kaut needs to be in the NHL. Sink or swim time for him, either he's bound for Europe or he's an NHL bottom sixer, but the only way to find out for sure is to play him. Since Bednar appears to be staying, I think this is unlikely. He doesn't seem to like Kaut too much, but if I was in charge I'd play him. Time to find out what you have in him.

Ranta probably should go back to the AHL. He only spent a dozen or so games down there, and clearly has plenty to refine before he gets another crack at the NHL. It's encouraging that he was able to play, but he isn't fully cooked yet, IMO.

As for Barron, he needs more AHL time too, and the NHL D corps is already stacked anyway, especially if you assume EJ is back for his usual 10 games before his annual season ending injury. MAYBE he earns a callup if he keeps playing well in the AHL, but it's probably best to slow cook defensemen if you can afford to.

It's pretty clear to me that the Avs organization doesn't care about Kaut. I hope he gets a chance somewhere else.

I'm not sure Ranta will ever make it. I don't think he sees the ice well enough to be trusted with an NHL shift. I could see him being a guy that goes off scoring goals at the AHL level for a couple of years, but once you see him in the NHL his pinhole-level tunnel vision becomes very apparent.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's pretty clear to me that the Avs organization doesn't care about Kaut. I hope he gets a chance somewhere else.

I'm not sure Ranta will ever make it. I don't think he sees the ice well enough to be trusted with an NHL shift. I could see him being a guy that goes off scoring goals at the AHL level for a couple of years, but once you see him in the NHL his pinhole-level tunnel vision becomes very apparent.

Well lets be fair with Ranta, we've only seen him in two NHL games, and both were in the playoffs.

If you project as a bottom six type, then your vision probably isn't going to stand out a ton in your first few games. Their role is very much one that they work their way into in the NHL by dedicating themselves to getting better at the things that don't involve natural talent and vision.

This is what separates the AHLers from NHLers in those roles. Kaut was a little stagnant in that progress last year but Ranta is just starting that process at the pro level. Hopefully both can improve next year but Ranta should get a little more rope since he's just starting.

Reactions: McMetal

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

What’s clear about that? Just because a guy hasn’t performed well enough to earn a job doesn’t mean they don’t care. His games this year just weren’t good enough. You get an opportunity to play an NHL game you better bring everything you have and more. Kaut didn’t play bad or anything but he did nothing to make an impact.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Personally I just don’t see Kaut as an NHLer. I can’t put my finger on why. I just don’t see it. Hopefully he does pan out for someone because I like him as a person.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
What’s clear about that? Just because a guy hasn’t performed well enough to earn a job doesn’t mean they don’t care. His games this year just weren’t good enough. You get an opportunity to play an NHL game you better bring everything you have and more. Kaut didn’t play bad or anything but he did nothing to make an impact.

LOC showed this. Kiefer Sherwood showed this. LOB showed this. Renouf showed this. Burroughs showed this.
Martin Kaut would be a mainstay if he showed something. He took a lazy tripping penalty. That's about all I remember with his tenure.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Kaut got barely any minutes in his callups this year. One game in Anaheim when the Avs were chasing a lead he didn't play at all in the third. I agree that he has to do something and part of it is on him, but it's not like Bednar gave him much of an opportunity to get in the groove.

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
Personally I just don’t see Kaut as an NHLer. I can’t put my finger on why. I just don’t see it. Hopefully he does pan out for someone because I like him as a person.

Don’t see it either, he will have a last chance next fall, needs to come in the shape of his life and with a killer mentality, probably won’t happen

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If they end up having to move Donskoi’s contract that’s precisely the spot for Kaut to take in the lineup.

The only thing that gives me pause on him are the injuries. At least two years in a row now he missed significant time due to injuries and it happened to be right at the same time that injuries to the Avs would’ve afforded him the opportunity for a callup.

I don’t think the Avs have soured on Kaut, but dude needs to figure out how to stay healthy. I think they’ve soured on Bowers though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If they end up having to move Donskoi’s contract that’s precisely the spot for Kaut to take in the lineup.

The only thing that gives me pause on him are the injuries. At least two years in a row now he missed significant time due to injuries and it happened to be right at the same time that injuries to the Avs would’ve afforded him the opportunity for a callup.

I don’t think the Avs have soured on Kaut, but dude needs to figure out how to stay healthy. I think they’ve soured on Bowers though.

Wouldn't blame them actually... the whining act followed by crap play is not a good look.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Not inviting Bowers to the black aces squad seems like a sign that they're really not high on him anymore. He just hasn't developed his offense at the pro level enough to be worthy of a callup at this point, even on the 4th line.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Not inviting Bowers to the black aces squad seems like a sign that they're really not high on him anymore. He just hasn't developed his offense at the pro level enough to be worthy of a callup at this point, even on the 4th line.
He was hurt no?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He was hurt no?

Yes, which, fair or not, is another ding on him. He too keeps missing time, but the thing that's probably stuck the fork in him more than anything else is his inability to maintain play at center. His play at wing has been better, but they have better prospects at those positions.

Reactions: McMetal

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Yes, which, fair or not, is another ding on him. He too keeps missing time, but the thing that's probably stuck the fork in him more than anything else is his inability to maintain play at center. His play at wing has been better, but they have better prospects at those positions.
I think he can be a good 4th liner on wing. With Jost and O'connor

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I’ve seen enough from Bowers to think he could be a solid 4th line NHL’er right now. I think they keep seasoning him in the AHL with the hopes of finding more offense so he can be more than a fourth liner and I understand that. However it’s starting to look like he may not have that type of talent which is okay because I think he can be an every day fourth liner. Just sucks if that’s what he tops out as.

Reactions: Barklez and Brett44

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I’ve seen enough from Bowers to think he could be a solid 4th line NHL’er right now. I think they keep seasoning him in the AHL with the hopes of finding more offense so he can be more than a fourth liner and I understand that. However it’s starting to look like he may not have that type of talent which is okay because I think he can be an every day fourth liner. Just sucks if that’s what he tops out as.

This seems like a pretty good guess right now, to add on, I think they were/are hoping he can find some sort of groove at C, but honestly at this point they should be hoping for an NHLer of some sort out of him, and therefore doing whatever they can to bring that out. So if it's on the wing, then nurture and develop that side, and then trade him if you want to. Better to get some value than no value.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Let's just see how Bowers comes into camp before any real prognostications. The onus is on him to come in with the right attitude and earn a job.

LTC Pain

Jul 1, 2006
Colorado Springs, CO
Let's just see how Bowers comes into camp before any real prognostications. The onus is on him to come in with the right attitude and earn a job.

prog·nos·ti·ca·tion
/präɡˌnästəˈkāSHən/
Learn to pronounce
noun
  1. the action of foretelling or prophesying future events.
    "an unprecedented amount of soul-searching and prognostication"
    • a prophecy.
      plural noun: prognostications
      "these gloomy prognostications proved to be unfounded"

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
prog·nos·ti·ca·tion
/präɡˌnästəˈkāSHən/
Learn to pronounce
noun
  1. the action of foretelling or prophesying future events.
    "an unprecedented amount of soul-searching and prognostication"
    • a prophecy.
      plural noun: prognostications
      "these gloomy prognostications proved to be unfounded"
upload_2021-6-17_10-57-13.jpeg

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
As it stands right now I would imagine there will be more opportunities for younger players (specifically forwards) to make the lineup next season. If Bowers comes in provides a forecheck, tenacity it would be very difficult to not include him on the team even if it’s only in a fourth line role. If he can provide faceoff prowess then I think the 4C role could be his two. All big ifs, but I think tapping additional offense is unlikely at this point.

LOC-Jost-Bowers

could be an extremely tenacious defensively responsible 4th line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig