Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Prospect Thread (CHL, NCAA, Europe) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PepsiCenterMagic

Food is Great
Jul 17, 2013
Is the Avs continuous pipeline of talent, not the envy of the NHL ???
How rare is it that a team so dominant also so many promising prospects?

And obviously Sakic has been an integral part, but this is something where everyone along the way is in sync. The organization has a vision.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Is the Avs continuous pipeline of talent, not the envy of the NHL ???
How rare is it that a team so dominant also so many promising prospects?

And obviously Sakic has been an integral part, but this is something where everyone along the way is in sync. The organization has a vision.

That's... An interesting take.

I dont think the Avs pipeline of talent would be the envy of a single team in the NHL :laugh: we're freaking terrible at drafting talent.

Reactions: Nihiliste

PepsiCenterMagic

Food is Great
Jul 17, 2013
That's... An interesting take.

I dont think the Avs pipeline of talent would be the envy of a single team in the NHL :laugh: we're freaking terrible at drafting talent.
I know that has been a narrative of the recent past, driven by overall drafting 05-15, but I'd say the pool of projected 2-4th liners + recently graduated stars is unheard of for a Stanley Cup favorite.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I know that has been a narrative of the recent past, driven by overall drafting 05-15, but I'd say the pool of projected 2-4th liners + recently graduated stars is unheard of for a Stanley Cup favorite.

how much attention have you been paying? TBL and Chicago are/were way better at this just recently. Contenders sometimes look like they have more prospects too because they’re not forced to rush them to the NHL. Most of these guys we have coming up are not going to be impact NHLers

PepsiCenterMagic

Food is Great
Jul 17, 2013
how much attention have you been paying? TBL and Chicago are/were way better at this just recently. Contenders sometimes look like they have more prospects too because they’re not forced to rush them to the NHL. Most of these guys we have coming up are not going to be impact NHLers
Chicago, until recently, yes. And are still doing a fair job. And Tampa, of course.

So sure, analytically, there are a few teams that could be considered just as good. I'd say in the lifecycle of such, the Avs are a little younger, and hopefully whose window will last longer.

PepsiCenterMagic

Food is Great
Jul 17, 2013
And I hope more than a few will be impact players. Quite a few have been more than solid in farm leagues.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Avs have talent coming in because of trades and high picks. They are far from the envy of league at drafting. You don’t even have to look further than the Central… Carolina or Tampa both have been much better.

PepsiCenterMagic

Food is Great
Jul 17, 2013
Avs have talent coming in because of trades and high picks. They are far from the envy of league at drafting. You don’t even have to look further than the Central… Carolina or Tampa both have been much better.
Did not say drafting... was commenting on the pipeline talent.

In fact, my OP was supposed to convey that the Avs are great at all the other parts i.e, development and external acquisition.

The organism has been synergetic!

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Recent success thru trades and high picks (from trades) certainly should extend the Avs contention window regardless of their below average draft performance. That said it looks like they've had some near term success in recent years in later rounds (Kovalenko, Annunen, Ranta, Foudy) which may reflect improvement in scouting capabilities / practices.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The Avs suck at the draft after the 1st round, they would probably have a better record in the later rounds if they followed online mock drafts.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Did not say drafting... was commenting on the pipeline talent.

In fact, my OP was supposed to convey that the Avs are great at all the other parts i.e, development and external acquisition.

The organism has been synergetic!

I wouldn't say the Avs' pipeline is real strong... some good pieces, but pretty much league average now. The Avs have been very good at top end drafting, for basically ever. They have great pro scouts and I think they are making strong strides in development for roles. The Avs have built a very strong core of players, basically through sucking for a while and one fantastic trade... then supplementing those pieces. Until the Avs can prove they can sustain with late 1sts and later picks... and through shrewd trades, they won't be the envy of the league. Tampa and Boston are the envy of the league for teams sustaining high level play.

Reactions: S E P H

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It's a nice luxury that the Avs are currently a Stanley Cup favorite, had the sixth-youngest roster in the league going into this season, and they have some young prospects still waiting to make the team.

Yes, the drafting needs to be better, but after a rough start in 2015 and 2016 the Avs appear to be getting some gems outside the lottery zone.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It's a nice luxury that the Avs are currently a Stanley Cup favorite, had the sixth-youngest roster in the league going into this season, and they have some young prospects still waiting to make the team.

Yes, the drafting needs to be better, but after a rough start in 2015 and 2016 the Avs appear to be getting some gems outside the lottery zone.

The proof will be in the pudding eventually. 2017 later still seems a bit weak with Timmins being the only guy (still an improvement). 2018 is riding on Ranta for the most part. There are some other maybes, but nobody is looking like a sure thing. 19 and 20 are too early to have much of anything to say. I do think drafting has gotten better, just how much is remaining to be seen.

Reactions: Tommy Shelby

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Good thing they didn’t let Beaucage go, they really couldn’t after he’s flirting with 2 ppg in the playoffs and leading the league in playoff scoring despite missing the first round. Don’t count on him to be a physical guy, he’s not much a power forward. I’d say closer in similarity to Burky, his shot looks like Burky too. We’ll see what they do with him in the AHL, should be apparent fairly quickly the tier they’ve placed him in.

I guess Mutala is getting singed since he’s in Utah or else he should have told them to take a hike.

Miner had a really good year and AHL audition. I didn’t give him much of a chance going into this year but he did better than Annunen in SSS. They should try to give him a look. I mean they bothered signing Peyton Jones to a NHL deal...

Burzan is pure AHL deal all the way and he doesn’t have to go back in the draft. But he seriously made every line he was on better, might be someone to keep around.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Miner had a really good year and AHL audition. I didn’t give him much of a chance going into this year but he did better than Annunen in SSS. They should try to give him a look. I mean they bothered signing Peyton Jones to a NHL deal...

That was a pure depth move... behind the scenes they knew Frankie was pretty much done for the season and they were gambling on Miska as the backup with only Werner beyond him until Annunen's season was over. I would be shocked if they qualify Jones.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
So he's a Quebecois winger with size who doesn't really play a gritty, physical style, nor does he have good wheels, but he has a fantastic shot.

Sounds like Guillaume Latendresse to me!
How much is his lack of physicality down to his poor skating? Guessing that if he was a better skater he'd probably have a better chance at winning puck races and getting ahead of his man.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
How much is his lack of physicality down to his poor skating? Guessing that if he was a better skater he'd probably have a better chance at winning puck races and getting ahead of his man.
I wouldn't say his mentality at this point is to be physical. In the Q his skating is certainly below average, but he can still get around enough that if he had a bulldog mentality, it would show now. That is going to have to be developed in his game... and it really needs to be to have a NHL shot.

Reactions: Richard88

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I know Latendresse was a problematic player for a number of reasons, but one thing he said that kinda rang true back then was that he felt he was constantly miscast--teams saw he was a big guy who wasn't fast, so they tried to turn him into a banger, when he wanted to be that guy who found open ice and winged one-timers at the net. That's not to say that's what Beaucage is, I just think players sometimes get ruined because coaches approach their development completely the wrong way.

So long as they don't have some preconceived notion of what kind of player they want him to be, that's the best way to approach it. He doesn't strike me as a perimeter guy, but he's not a big-time mucker either.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The proof will be in the pudding eventually. 2017 later still seems a bit weak with Timmins being the only guy (still an improvement). 2018 is riding on Ranta for the most part. There are some other maybes, but nobody is looking like a sure thing. 19 and 20 are too early to have much of anything to say. I do think drafting has gotten better, just how much is remaining to be seen.
There is an expression “If you get two guys, you had a good draft”.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I know Latendresse was a problematic player for a number of reasons, but one thing he said that kinda rang true back then was that he felt he was constantly miscast--teams saw he was a big guy who wasn't fast, so they tried to turn him into a banger, when he wanted to be that guy who found open ice and winged one-timers at the net. That's not to say that's what Beaucage is, I just think players sometimes get ruined because coaches approach their development completely the wrong way.

So long as they don't have some preconceived notion of what kind of player they want him to be, that's the best way to approach it. He doesn't strike me as a perimeter guy, but he's not a big-time mucker either.
In many ways, the NHL is still this way and always will be. Unless you're a star or good enough to be catered to... you have to find a role and build a career that way. Fair or not, that does keep a lot of good players out of the NHL. Andrew Poturalski is a great example. He's a small guy that isn't a great skater and doesn't PK. He's skilled and could probably put up 40+ points in a tweener middle 6 role and PP time. He just is a net negative elsewhere on the ice that 40 isn't enough. If he was a 60+ guy, you find a way.

Reactions: Pokecheque

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
There is an expression “If you get two guys, you had a good draft”.
Yup... and even if the Avs just keep their first and draft well there, they can be fine... not always contending, but stay solid. I look at the drafts and I'm not super confident in getting 2 per every year... there is a chance. Truly good drafting teams consistently produce 2 guys a draft and have an odd year where they get 3 or 4.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
In many ways, the NHL is still this way and always will be. Unless you're a star or good enough to be catered to... you have to find a role and build a career that way. Fair or not, that does keep a lot of good players out of the NHL. Andrew Poturalski is a great example. He's a small guy that isn't a great skater and doesn't PK. He's skilled and could probably put up 40+ points in a tweener middle 6 role and PP time. He just is a net negative elsewhere on the ice that 40 isn't enough. If he was a 60+ guy, you find a way.
That last bit made me think of Andrighetto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad