News Article: 2020 - 2021 NHL, 56 games, Jan.13th target date.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Way things are going, no way there's going to be any NHL hockey 20/21 season. Honestly, it'd be irresponsible if they did.
From what I understand the BoG would potentially have greater financial issues down the road with US networks when it comes time for negotiations...Contractual obligations is why the league is looking at a shortened season.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Reactions: 14ari13

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Playing hockey has been least infecting thing in Finland.

No corona virus has started spreading from hockey games. It has been players or team members getting it on their free time. Then it has infected some team players. Attendance has been corona free when everybody is wearing masks.

This very well may be true, but how can you even determine if a player got the virus on the ice or after the game?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This very well may be true, but how can you even determine if a player got the virus on the ice or after the game?

There has been some cases where non-infected teams faced players with a virus. And it didn't spread to other team. That hasn't happened yet. It comes from elsewhere.

What I was wondering, when visiting games live, was public transport and the people in arena. Was thinking that if it comes from somewhere it's either of those. But both are proved to be non-infecting places, was more surprised about the public transport. Nothing has started from public transport, or from hockey games.

All spreadings have been starting from some other places, like from drunken people in a tight small bar. It will need that one idiot, who is sick, and still goes in the bar to infect others. Mostly (like 99,999%) of sick/infected people understand to stay home.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Liiga will be next to be shut down with 95% certainty.

For 3 weeks.

The whole country will make a harder shut-down before Christmas, so Christmas wouldn't the corona spreading "tool", when everybody will be meeting their relatives criss-cross the country.

They will complete the Liiga season for sure. We are getting the vaccine and inoculations starting at January.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Now the QMJHL shuts down til Jan...

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/qmjhl-postpones-games-until-january-covid-19-1.5822705

AHL-never started
NHL-initially said Dec. 1st, then mid/late Dec., now Jan 1st is a maybe, with talk of possible Feb start.

Stop this madness.

What other leagues (any Pro/Collegiate level) worldwide are shutdown, and/or never started?

Didn't the SHL take a 2 weeks break iirc?

the DEL over in Germany has yet to start as well(apparently the current plan is December 17th now?)

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Report: Four Teams Exploring Playing All Home Games Outdoors - NHL Rumors - NHLTradeRumors.Me

Report: Four Teams Exploring Playing All Home Games Outdoors

Shug McSween Thursday, December 03, 2020 NHL

"Imagine the Winter Classic every time your favorite team plays a home game?
Well, according to a report from Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman, four NHL teams are exploring playing all of their home games outside.
I'm not sure it's possible; the odds are against it -- but four NHL teams are looking into the possibility of playing their home games outdoors. Can't fault anyone for considering their options: Four NHL teams exploring possibility of playing outdoor home games
— Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) December 3, 2020
According to the report, the teams are the Anaheim Ducks, LA Kings, Boston Bruins and the Pittsburgh Penguins.
This ALL comes down to money, and the teams are wondering if they can host more fans outside than inside and have the facilities to accommodate, why not go with this approach instead. There's been rumblings every team will lose roughly $50-75 million if they play a season with no or limited fans in attendance, meanwhile each team will only lose roughly $15 million if the season gets cancelled.
Friedman also reports:
The other major issue would be approval from players and opponents. Apparently, a survey completed by all 31 teams indicated several would not be thrilled with the idea of switching between indoor and outdoor venues during the season.

That said, I can’t fault these four teams from researching the idea, attempting to maximize revenue in a league so dependent on gate revenue. If ever there was a season to try something, this is it.​
This has to be one of the most interesting times the NHL has ever seen. Stay tuned, it's getting more weird by the day."

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Yesterday I read that each team would lose ~$150M if a complte shutdown (God forbid) transpired...I wanna say the source was DobberHockey iirc.

Contrary to the $15m figure posted above. I like the idea of outdoor games as a supplement & should be further explored.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL

The NHL Players’ Association’s lawyers are investigating whether to file an unfair labour practice complaint with the U.S. National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) or pursue a grievance with an arbitrator if the NHL decides to cancel the upcoming season, two people familiar with the matter told TSN.
If the league decides against playing the 2020-21 season, a complaint to either the NLRB or an arbitrator would be the process the NHLPA would follow to try to get players paid.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Based on E.Friedman tweet below...

Report: NHL/NHLPA Closing in on an Agreement - NHL Rumors - NHLTradeRumors.Me

"Report: NHL/NHLPA Closing in on an Agreement

Shug McSween Friday, December 04, 2020 NHL

Ladies and gentlemen, Christmas could come early this year. While there's been nothing but negative vibes around the ongoing discussions between the NHL and the NHLPA, Sportsnet's hockey insider dropped a golden nugget!
This tweet raised eyebrows yesterday...Reason: hearing that NHL/NHLPA engaged in recent days about a Jan 15 start, with training camps opening approximately two weeks earlier. Number of games would be in the 50s. We will see where this goes over the next few days. https://t.co/pRwAXiE0QX
Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) December 4, 2020
Here We Go!

What to Expect?

• A 52 or 56 game season
  • An All-Canadian Division
  • More outdoor games
  • Some fans in certain markets being able to attend immediately
  • Lots of fans to be in attendance for playoff time
  • Less in-season trades because of $$$
  • The remaining free-agents to struggle to get contracts
Don't expect the owners to apologize for wanting more money back and don't expect the players to budge off their current stance.
However, it looks like we can expect hockey in January!!!
"

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I'm just glad we're in the home stretch (hopefully). Also glad the 7 non-playoff teams can go to camp Dec 28th-Jan 3rd.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but if the NBA can deliver a Dec 22nd start date (last time I checked), then the NHL should be good to go too. If anything the NBA will serve as a guinea pig for the NHL.

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
I know it'd never happen, but it'd be sweet if the Wings could play one outdoor game at Clark Park. Maybe bring in some temporary bleachers or something.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

per Pierre LeBrun
"
Bos-Buf-NJ-NYI-NYR-Pha-Pgh-Was

Car-CBJ-Det-Chi-Fla-Min-Nas-TB

Ana-Ari-Col-Dal-LA-SJ-STL-VGK

All-Canadian teams
"

Maybe we won't be beaten so brutally in the Central. Here's how I see it:

TB
<-----------(huge gap)
CAR/NSH
-------------
CBJ
FLA
DET
CHI (their D & G's almost guarantee they'll pick top 5)
MIN (Marcus Johansson is their "#1C", Ek/Bonino/Rask...none are even 2C's)

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
per Pierre LeBrun
"

All-Canadian teams
"

TB
<-----------(huge gap)
CAR/NSH
-------------
CBJ
FLA
DET

Well, that means we're likely the 5th or 6th worst team in the league next season. We'll get gifted another 9th overall pick.

The good news is that when Montreal finishes at the bottom of their division and we can watch Habs fans on these boards slowly deflate during the course of the season.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
per Pierre LeBrun
"

All-Canadian teams
"

TB
<-----------(huge gap)
CAR/NSH
-------------
CBJ
FLA
DET

We will be at the bottom with Minny. Will be fun to play Chicago again, though.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
We will be at the bottom with Minny. Will be fun to play Chicago again, though.
If the NHL decides to do the 24 team "playoff" format to recover revenue, we have a very slim chance to be #24, but it could happen...lots would have to go right for us, while the bottom 7 would need to collectively struggle.

I'm not pro-tank, but I'd rather finish bottom 3 to get that 1OA (finally)...the Hockey Gods owe us, or Bettman does.

Reactions: Air Budd Dwyer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad