Prospect Info: 2020-2021 In The System: AHL, CHL, NCAA, Europe, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
All quiet on the Western front but come late December/early January, there will be tons of hockey with Euro leagues, NCAA, WJC, AHL and NHL up and running :crossfing
Yeah fingers crossed for sure.

I find myself a very optimistic person in general, but I'm a little pessimistic about how things might turn out here in a few weeks. I feel like the holiday season is going to start an even bigger boom up in North America. :shakehead:punk:

But that's for another thread...

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Yeah fingers crossed for sure.

I find myself a very optimistic person in general, but I'm a little pessimistic about how things might turn out here in a few weeks. I feel like the holiday season is going to start an even bigger boom up in North America. :shakehead:punk:

But that's for another thread...

Brian Burke on am590 saying NHL has to play this year, some teams may be at risk if they dont. He didn't say which teams. But in saying that he says a 5 mil player may be forced to play for 50% of his pay. With the promised escrow in next 3 years, think the players will ultimately give in around 40% cut and earn 60% of their money.

He said NHL made 125 million off broadcasting through NHL bubble as an example for the league still bringing in some revenue. They got 200 million and it cost 75 mil in expenses.

I'd be very worried about some of the lower leagues like junior hockey across Canada if some leagues dont play.

Reactions: Cold Cat

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

5 games have been postponed for HIFK, aka Lundell and Borgstroms team

7 games for Saarelas team, 8 games for Luostarinen

Interesting (or funny?) that the tweet doesn’t mention Borg.... even they know he’s a bust?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Idk about ahl and nhl. Hopefully they start by February.

They can't hold out past February because of Olympics. Both sides of NHL will be talking the next few days and I remain optimistic they will will work it out and AHL will have to play if NHL does imo.
Gonna say mid/late January they will drop the puck

Interesting (or funny?) that the tweet doesn’t mention Borg.... even they know he’s a bust?

:laugh: read the comments, some poster asked about Borg missing

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Here's an in depth interview with Tippett and one of his former teammates in OHL.

35 mins long, his part starts around the 8:20 mark and he touches on a lot of his OHL career, his draft day, AHL year and some other things.
He's in Fort Lauderdale on the canal.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Brian Burke on am590 saying NHL has to play this year, some teams may be at risk if they dont. He didn't say which teams. But in saying that he says a 5 mil player may be forced to play for 50% of his pay. With the promised escrow in next 3 years, think the players will ultimately give in around 40% cut and earn 60% of their money.

He said NHL made 125 million off broadcasting through NHL bubble as an example for the league still bringing in some revenue. They got 200 million and it cost 75 mil in expenses.

I'd be very worried about some of the lower leagues like junior hockey across Canada if some leagues dont play.
Bring Lundell over! He can be Barky’s roomy

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
They can't hold out past February because of Olympics. Both sides of NHL will be talking the next few days and I remain optimistic they will will work it out and AHL will have to play if NHL does imo.
Gonna say mid/late January they will drop the puck

:laugh: read the comments, some poster asked about Borg missing

No I mean they would have to start by February, or March at the latest. But in any case it wouldn't be a full season. We'll see what happens in the next week or so, but it's not a done deal. Ultimately it will have to be the players that cave because the owners don't care if there's a season or not, they will be losing money. And reportedly 10 owners are against having a season.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
No I mean they would have to start by February, or March at the latest. But in any case it wouldn't be a full season. We'll see what happens in the next week or so, but it's not a done deal. Ultimately it will have to be the players that cave because the owners don't care if there's a season or not, they will be losing money. And reportedly 10 owners are against having a season.

Don't even think March is possible. Any later than February 1st would cause scheduling issues imo.
They may need a week or 10 days in late May/early June for postponed/made up games.

I'd be shocked if all the other major sports go on and NHL sits out despite a 1/3 of the owners not on board.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Don't even think March is possible. Any later than February 1st would cause scheduling issues imo.
They may need a week or 10 days in late May/early June for postponed/made up games.

I'd be shocked if all the other major sports go on and NHL sits out despite a 1/3 of the owners not on board.

I wouldn't be shocked, we've had a cancelled season before, and there wasn't a pandemic at the time. But I do think the players will eventually cave, even 50% of their pay is better than nothing.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I wouldn't be shocked, we've had a cancelled season before, and there wasn't a pandemic at the time. But I do think the players will eventually cave, even 50% of their pay is better than nothing.
I don't know.
In baseball, albeit a different ball game (no pun intended) the player stood their ground

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I don't know.
In baseball, albeit a different ball game (no pun intended) the player stood their ground

There won't be a season then. A lot of owners don't want to play, the players have to make major concessions if they want to come back for this season. Plus a lot of other factors, like where are the Sharks gonna play if there is a season, and will there be shutdowns in provinces in Canada that wont allow professional teams travelling in and out as covid spikes inevitably happen around Christmas? The players are really gonna have to make it worth it for the owners.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Friedman is adamant they will play and he said the number of owners who aren't as eager to play ranges from 5 to 10 with one source up to 12.
Was just on TV for a good 10mins.

Training camps will likely start right after Christmas and will be very limited in length with 2-3 exhibition games so they can start mid January.
July 15th the season has to be done for Olympics.

:crossfing

Reactions: Ghoste

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Friedman is adamant they will play and he said the number of owners who aren't as eager to play ranges from 5 to 10 with one source up to 12.
Was just on TV for a good 10mins.

Training camps will likely start right after Christmas and will be very limited in length with 2-3 exhibition games so they can start mid January.
July 15th the season has to be done for Olympics.

:crossfing

Yeah so there's about 10 owners who don't want it. Like I said I do think the players will cave, but I also wouldn't be shocked if these bums sabotage the whole thing. Especially with pandemic related losses the owners are looking at. This is an unprecedented situation.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Yeah so there's about 10 owners who don't want it. Like I said I do think the players will cave, but I also wouldn't be shocked if these bums sabotage the whole thing. Especially with pandemic related losses the owners are looking at. This is an unprecedented situation.
The players have a signed contract, shouldn't the owners honour that. Wouldn't caving be somewhat like setting a precedent for the owners. Every time they cry loss , They'll want the players to take a cut now.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
The players have a signed contract, shouldn't the owners honour that. Wouldn't caving be somewhat like setting a precedent for the owners. Every time they cry loss , They'll want the players to take a cut now.

And that is what it comes down to, and why the season might be cancelled. The players might not budge. But even Friedman said when both sides agreed to the escrow split in the summer, he heard some owners were hesitant about what it might mean for down the road. Well then why did you sign off on it???? I don't understand the owners on that one. I do feel the players are in the right here....but at the end of the day it's simple finances. The players need to get paid. Most of them are just hockey players, they have other business ventures. They need to play hockey to get paid. Owners, on the other hand, are going to lose money once they agree to play again. In fact 68% of players salaries have to be paid up front. So they really don't have as vested of an interest in playing this season as the players do(putting long term values of the franchises aside). And the owners seem like they are not going to budge on this one. They are adamant that the escrow sharing has to be renegotiated. So the players are going to have to give money back. And you add in the fact that almost 1/3 of owners want to tank the season, and according to Friedman some of these teams are big influential teams not the Arizonas and Carolinas, well it's definitely not gonna get off the rails until these owners feel like they're getting a fair split.

Reactions: Cold Cat

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Just saw that Lindmark is top 5 in NCAA for scoring although driven by games played! Good player right there!

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Michael Benning had his season opener last night for Denver in the NCAA. They lost 2-1 to Minnesota-Duluth. He didn't register any points.

A defenseman at 5'8" does not excite me :shakehead

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Michael Benning had his season opener last night for Denver in the NCAA. They lost 2-1 to Minnesota-Duluth. He didn't register any points.

A defenseman at 5'8" does not excite me :shakehead
He’s a high risk pick which is fine for when he was drafted. Now our second round pick was the waste

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I think Heinemen is almost a guarantee to be an nhl player but it’s up to him to decide where. I wouldn’t call him a waste, but I’d have went for upside.
Replacement value is low and we drafted him above expectation: I’d be fine if he was a third or fourth round pick.

I think Sourdif and Smilianic are better prospects already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad