Speculation: 2020-2021 General Lightning Discussion - Defending Champions Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
Why would we move them before the playoffs? Were completely fine without making any moves.
To deal with the future cap problem, it will be a lot easier to move them now when a team is desperate to make the playoffs than in the off season when teams are not as willing. Also we have guys now that can step into the lineup like Colton Abb and Smith. Move that money used on Killorn and get a rd that will make us an all around better team. Also give Coleman and Goodrow a better position to get signed for next year who are way more important than Killorn or Johnson.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
To deal with the future cap problem, it will be a lot easier to move them now when a team is desperate to make the playoffs than in the off season when teams are not as willing. Also we have guys now that can step into the lineup like Colton Abb and Smith. Move that money used on Killorn and get a rd that will make us an all around better team. Also give Coleman and Goodrow a better position to get signed for next year who are way more important than Killorn or Johnson.

Neither Coleman or Goodrow are as good as Killorn. Moving either them now before the playoffs is dumb considering they're productive roster players and we're exploiting the salary cap to our advantage.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Neither Coleman or Goodrow are as good as Killorn. Moving either them now before the playoffs is dumb considering they're productive roster players and we're exploiting the salary cap to our advantage.
Only roster player I'd move absent a replacement coming the other way would be Johnson - since he's kind of blocking ABB. Johnson has been better lately, but fool me once shame on you, fool me 40274 times shame on me.

But Johnson is immovable, especially with a flat cap in the middle of a season.

Killorn is gone in the offseason. I think we're going to beg Seattle to take Johnson and hope they don't take McDonagh.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Only roster player I'd move absent a replacement coming the other way would be Johnson - since he's kind of blocking ABB. Johnson has been better lately, but fool me once shame on you, fool me 40274 times shame on me.

But Johnson is immovable, especially with a flat cap in the middle of a season.

Killorn is gone in the offseason. I think we're going to beg Seattle to take Johnson and hope they don't take McDonagh.

You might move Johnson if you had the opportunity now but that's not realistically happening, all the kids have cooled off anyways, even Joseph who's making some questionable plays lately while both Johnson and Killorn are producing.

Give me the vets in a contending year and again why wouldn't we abuse the cap situation we're in right now? Throw away 2 0.5PPG guys for rookies? :help:

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
You might move Johnson if you had the opportunity now but that's not realistically happening, all the kids have cooled off anyways, even Joseph who's making some questionable plays lately while both Johnson and Killorn are producing.

Give me the vets in a contending year and again why wouldn't we abuse the cap situation we're in right now? Throw away 2 0.5PPG guys for rookies? :help:
I wouldn't be surprised if ABB is better in Johnson's role than he is, but it's kind of a non-issue. We're not moving anyone during the season except for like... Schenn if we get a RD replacement at similar cost (which we won't get) or McBackup if we got a replacement at similar cost (which we won't get).

I think the pairings we have now are what we're going to have come May. Might run 11/7 sometimes or something but the numbers just aren't there to make a big move.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
The only way we remove the problem of two lackluster right sided defenseman each night is to play our top 4 heavy minutes.

In the future people might think Bogosian winning with us was lucky but the guy logged important minutes for us. We desperately need someone like that. It ain't Schenn.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I agree with you that an RD add, whether top 4 rental quality or just 5/6 depth add, is needed. I wouldn't say Coleman and Goodrow are necessarily more important than Killorn(Johnson sure), since as of late Killorn has been producing well offensively. Coleman and Goodrow though bring a lot to the table in terms of defensive play and on the PK especially. Goodrow should likely be able to be re-signed as he likely will sign for less, but unless Coleman takes a steep discount or Tampa values him over Gourde/Palat(nope) than he's probably gone.

It will be disappointing if JBB doesn't make a move, as the RD needs another piece imo for the Cup run. If the goal is to give the team the best chance this year, and they feel like they have the offensive depth to win without Killorn, then trading him at the tdl for an upgrade at RD should be considered as you said. Killorn may net a 2nd in the off-season, but given the climate of things, perhaps only a 3rd. Even if the RD they get is a rental, it may be worth it to improve the one area of the team that does have some holes.

Alternatively, JBB could look at a cheaper depth option like maybe Benning or Vatanen(retained). He may be able to trade lesser cost pieces and picks to acquire someone like that to get the depth addition and balancing the cap situation as well. There are at least a few options he can take to try and improve at RD, so I guess unlike most we both hope standing pat isn't his course of action.

Reactions: JFleegs

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Serge is ready for a top 4 role so I’m afraid McDonagh May be a luxury the team can’t afford after this year. I have to think Seattle would take him if unprotected. He’s really good and the Lightning would miss him.

If the Lightning could somehow replace McDonagh with a reasonable top 4 quality RH at 3-4 million it would go a long way towards keeping Goodrow and maybe even Coleman.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I really think McDonagh is the piece we dangle. Five more years at almost 7m is just a lot to carry.

The recent flat cap announcement has me feeling the same way. Unless JBB has some Jedi mind trick that frees us of Killorn and Johnson I think you're right because going forward we figuratively can't afford to not make that move.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Bottle the high of having a good team guys - eventually we will be bad again. Probably a few years from now, but it's going to happen.

Just had the thought of how I always try and make sure I can watch at least part of the game, and eventually I'm going to have to force myself to watch *some* games instead. Don't know why I'm so fatalist right now.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Bottle the high of having a good team guys - eventually we will be bad again. Probably a few years from now, but it's going to happen.

Just had the thought of how I always try and make sure I can watch at least part of the game, and eventually I'm going to have to force myself to watch *some* games instead. Don't know why I'm so fatalist right now.
Probably at least 4 more years of contending. Enjoy the ride.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I think it really depends how we restock the cupboards over the next few years. Our best chance is now, our window is wide open with the core we have.

Point, Cirelli, Serg (with Vasi and Kuch who are kind of in between the old guys and young guys with age) are solid pieces to build around. We'll need to draft and develop some wingers, but they are in a decent enough shape with some young core pieces that can help with this transition. Maybe not contenders but def not gonna be bad again instantly.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Were not in that bad of a position to decline, the majority of issues other teams face is how you handle an aging core and your expensive vets. Our biggest concern, which isn't even that big a deal is Stamkos on his next contract which comes up at age 34. I doubt he goes for a payday, it'll be a managble contract till retirement or he will hit UFA.

Aside from that even if Point, Cirelli and Sergachev sign 8 year deals after their current ones it will only take them to their early 30's. As long as you don't sign anchor contracts to players into their late 30's you'll be fine.

Our core has a good gap in age where they aren't all going to hit their decline at once. There's a 6-7 year gap between Point/Cirelli and Stamkos and an 8-9 year gap between Hedman and Serg/Foote. As long as we keep developing like we have been there will be always be guys coming up to support.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
To me, when Heddy starts to decline materially is when the Lightning take a significant step back. That’s at least 3 years away IMO barring a significant injury.

The Lightning will lose some depth this off season, no doubt. But let’s say the Lightning lose 2-3 good players out of McDonagh, TJ, Killer, Guorde, Coleman Palat, Goodrow while adding Kuch.

That’s still a top 3-5 team, maybe still the best.

Reactions: BoltzManConstant

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If Vasilevskiy is still a top 10 goalie the length of his contract we will be a playoff team. A good goalie could mask a poor defense and keep you in games if the offense is struggling. He can’t do it all but we should have enough pieces around him to remain competitive. Once he declines is when the team does so we will need to find a replacement but that's a long ways out.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
To me, when Heddy starts to decline materially is when the Lightning take a significant step back. That’s at least 3 years away IMO barring a significant injury.

The Lightning will lose some depth this off season, no doubt. But let’s say the Lightning lose 2-3 good players out of McDonagh, TJ, Killer, Guorde, Coleman Palat, Goodrow while adding Kuch.

That’s still a top 3-5 team, maybe still the best.
Guys I wasn't thinking this was the last run or anything. I meant just when it happens. Maybe we're in 1997 as the Red Wings and we still have 15 more years as a contender ahead of us. I'm just saying that *when* it comes, that's going to suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad