Speculation: 2020-2021 General Lightning Discussion - Defending Champions Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Looking ahead a bit, what does a fully healthy Lightning playoff lineup look like? I’ll take a stab:

Palat Point Kuch
Killer Cirelli Stammer
Coleman Guorde Goodrow
Maroon TJ Joseph

Heddy Rutta/Serge
McDonagh Cernek
Serge Rutta/vet TDL acquisition (prob RH shot acquired unless Serge plays with Heddy full time).

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Looking ahead a bit, what does a fully healthy Lightning playoff lineup look like? I’ll take a stab:

Palat Point Kuch
Killer Cirelli Stammer
Coleman Guorde Goodrow
Maroon TJ Joseph

Heddy Rutta/Serge
McDonagh Cernek
Serge Rutta/vet TDL acquisition (prob RH shot acquired unless Serge plays with Heddy full time).
Swap Goodrow and TJ. That is 100% what Coop is going to do. And if we can somehow swing a TDL RHD depending on the level of RHD, the Apostle Jan Rutta, will most likely be on the top pairing with Hedman the whole playoffs.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Swap Goodrow and TJ. That is 100% what Coop is going to do. And if we can somehow swing a TDL RHD depending on the level of RHD, the Apostle Jan Rutta, will most likely be on the top pairing with Hedman the whole playoffs.
I agree flipping Goodrow and TJ is a strong possibility. But I think Coop lays it out as I suggested so Guordes line can be the shutdown line against opposing teams top line.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Would love to somehow get Ekholm from the Preds (they said their only untouchables were Josi, Ellis and I forget the 3rd. Probably forsberg).

Would cost a lot though, but if they could take our 1st and a player and a prospect or something..

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Would love to somehow get Ekholm from the Preds (they said their only untouchables were Josi, Ellis and I forget the 3rd. Probably forsberg).

Would cost a lot though, but if they could take our 1st and a player and a prospect or something..
Don't need another left shot.

Josh Manson is the "dream" guy who - if there is retention - would align with how JBB operated last season (1 year left and would be about 2.3 AAV for the next season). But the price would be high.

I think Montour is an easier ask, but the degree he's an upgrade over Schenn/Foote is an open question.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Don't need another left shot.

Josh Manson is the "dream" guy who - if there is retention - would align with how JBB operated last season (1 year left and would be about 2.3 AAV for the next season). But the price would be high.

I think Montour is an easier ask, but the degree he's an upgrade over Schenn/Foote is an open question.
I thought he was a RD for some reason, but you're correct, he is not. NVM carry on!

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Right now the Lightning, Panthers, Hurricanes and Hawks are pretty heavy favorites to make the playoffs. Dallas has an outside shot due to games in hand. CBJ would need a really hot run to get back in it I think. DET and NASH are toast.

Who do we want in round 1? Anyone we REALLY want to avoid?

I don’t see a NJ Devil 2018 type of matchup here. Everyone will pose some problems. Obviously I like the Lightning to get out of the Central. I even like the Lightning over the field, if reasonably healthy.

Teams I’d like to avoid?
1) Carolina
2) A healthy Dallas with Bishop in net

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Chicago the preferred 1st round matchup and Florida the least, doesn't matter that much though the Lightning should win this division regardless if who they play.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Chicago would be the most preferable of the three, although they're very likely to be the #4 seed so we'd have to win the division to get them.

Failing that, Carolina is a good team and could give us a challenge, but I'd be very surprised if we actually lost that series. And while I like our chances with Florida as well, they probably would concern me the most of those three teams. If there's a team I least want to face, it's them.

I will say that a 2018 Devils-scenario is one of those things, in general, that rarely comes around. That's probably the worst playoff team I can remember in a long time in the NHL. That was entirely Taylor Hall carrying a g-d awful team to the #8 seed, and then cratering the next year. The Devils have been a terrible franchise for some time now and I'm so happy about that after the way they set the NHL back to the stone ages during the late '90s and early '00s.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Right now the Lightning, Panthers, Hurricanes and Hawks are pretty heavy favorites to make the playoffs. Dallas has an outside shot due to games in hand. CBJ would need a really hot run to get back in it I think. DET and NASH are toast.

Who do we want in round 1? Anyone we REALLY want to avoid?

I don’t see a NJ Devil 2018 type of matchup here. Everyone will pose some problems. Obviously I like the Lightning to get out of the Central. I even like the Lightning over the field, if reasonably healthy.

Teams I’d like to avoid?
1) Carolina
2) A healthy Dallas with Bishop in net

Dallas wasn't our toughest match up last year. Carolina would be tough, but we'd be heavy favorites.

Florida's the team that looks like the biggest threat to me. Their cornerstone pieces have matured and they have a coach who knows how to win a cup.

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
Are we accruing any cap space during the season this year? I forget how it works exactly but I know generally it increases throughout the season based on how much you have to start with... I know we have pretty much nothing this year though, lol.

Just speculating as I'm sure JBB would look to make additions at the trade deadline to give us our best chance at a repeat. He's been shown to be aggressive in that sense.

Any cap guru want shed some light on the possibility? Would we 100% have to dump cap to be able to add?

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Are we accruing any cap space during the season this year? I forget how it works exactly but I know generally it increases throughout the season based on how much you have to start with... I know we have pretty much nothing this year though, lol.

Just speculating as I'm sure JBB would look to make additions at the trade deadline to give us our best chance at a repeat. He's been shown to be aggressive in that sense.

Any cap guru want shed some light on the possibility? Would we 100% have to dump cap to be able to add?

You can't accrue any cap when using LTIR room. But any contract cap hits we acquire will still be prorated for time served, so that + retention should allow us to fit a player in at the deadline.

CapFriendly says we have $370k in usable room. We likely would have to send a contract back to get a player that's worthwhile.

twenty5psi

Feb 27, 2018
You can't accrue any cap when using LTIR room. But any contract cap hits we acquire will still be prorated for time served, so that + retention should allow us to fit a player in at the deadline.

CapFriendly says we have $370k in usable room. We likely would have to send a contract back to get a player that's worthwhile.

This. I'm sure JBB will tire kick for an RHD at the deadline but otherwise he's probably content to let it ride given their play so far and Kucherov waiting in the wings. Not to mention he'll probably want maximum flexibility for the expansion draft to get our cap situation straightened out for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad