Speculation: 2020-2021 General Lightning Discussion - Defending Champions Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The cap stress is overplayed in my opinion. We won our title with Stamkos having like 1 minute of TOI and on the backs of the usual suspects Hedman, Point etc with Goodrow and Coleman finding fantastic chemistry with Gourde. I haven't really said much on the matter but I love our odds to repeat. The flat cap affected a lot of teams from making any real power moves and whatever moves we have to make are probably being weighed by JBB to a time when everyone will be more option to negotiating as opposed to now. Smart dealing imo

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Unless I was reading into BriseBois' comments too much, it sounded like he wasn't worried at all. I have to imagine that deals are already in place and it's just a matter of making things official in the coming days/weeks.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Unless I was reading into BriseBois' comments too much, it sounded like he wasn't worried at all. I have to imagine that deals are already in place and it's just a matter of making things official in the coming days/weeks.

I don't think you were at all. Tyler Johnson, Alex Killorn and Ceddy Paquette aren't suddenly worthless trash because cap space is limited league wide. Teams can and will trade for them. The fact we can't take on cap is why returns outside of draft picks would be marginal. You look at Alexander Steen retiring and tell me Alex Killorn is not a fit.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I don't think you were at all. Tyler Johnson, Alex Killorn and Ceddy Paquette aren't suddenly worthless trash because cap space is limited league wide. Teams can and will trade for them. The fact we can't take on cap is why returns outside of draft picks would be marginal. You look at Alexander Steen retiring and tell me Alex Killorn is not a fit.
Killorn's Value goes up when Hoffman signs. When that happens, people will come knocking.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Tic Toc Tic Toc
Well today is panic day, if indeed there is going to be a season this has been the last best chance to move players out. Next week is Christmas week and not much is going to get done until after new years. Then its time to report to camp. Times up for hoping Johnson can be moved without real serious overpayment. It is also crucial for getting any remaining RFA's signed before they miss time in camp and regular season games.

Nothing indicates that JBB has a deal in place waiting on Hoffman to sign any longer. The team will get compliant but now the question is what will the cost be. It will be a package deal that does it, I think it will be Johnson, Cirelli and possibly a pick to Detroit or New Jersey to clear out of this mess maybe Cernak +++ but that limits JBB more when he signs Cirelli. Now it has been suggested that Joseph and Vol would sign for 700k min well I guess to stay in the league they might but you can bet there agents are looking for more since with bonuses each were over 900k last season.

So as the minutes tic by today the options grow dimmer. Teams are closing up shop getting ready for camp. Hopefully Bettman can work something out for a Jan 13 start we need hockey back and put this offseason behind us.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Tic Toc Tic Toc
Well today is panic day, if indeed there is going to be a season this has been the last best chance to move players out. Next week is Christmas week and not much is going to get done until after new years. Then its time to report to camp. Times up for hoping Johnson can be moved without real serious overpayment. It is also crucial for getting any remaining RFA's signed before they miss time in camp and regular season games.

Nothing indicates that JBB has a deal in place waiting on Hoffman to sign any longer. The team will get compliant but now the question is what will the cost be. It will be a package deal that does it, I think it will be Johnson, Cirelli and possibly a pick to Detroit or New Jersey to clear out of this mess maybe Cernak +++ but that limits JBB more when he signs Cirelli. Now it has been suggested that Joseph and Vol would sign for 700k min well I guess to stay in the league they might but you can bet there agents are looking for more since with bonuses each were over 900k last season.

So as the minutes tic by today the options grow dimmer. Teams are closing up shop getting ready for camp. Hopefully Bettman can work something out for a Jan 13 start we need hockey back and put this offseason behind us.

Say what you want about Donald Fehr but his job is simple "Get the players the best deal possible" and he is going to do it. I think the concern for a lost season ought to be near 0 because vaccines are being distributed and there is too much at stake financially for all sides for the NHL to not get its hands on it and play through. That can and will figure itself out. The only concession I think us fans are to expect will be will be if the season is 56 or 48 games. And remember you can always scrap the bye week idea and cancel the ASG. January 13th was an excellent target date because you still have a buffer of a later start by 1 to 2 weeks if the teams need a little more time to get their ducks in a row. How this affects the Lightning is simple, JBB has nothing more than broad speculation to work with and so the fact we haven't seen anything or that our moves will have to happen in quick succession should not be any concern. I was confident enough last year to say "The Lightning are gonna win it all" due the fact it was not some earth-shattering prediction. That was probably like the safest thing I've ever said because this team had been expected to win for like 4 years and by rights should've won a title long before last season. But in the same vein I'm confident enough to predict a successful repeat because I don't see another team assembled strong enough to challenge our core despite whatever losses we incur.

If we end up in that trash central division sans St. Louis I think the Lightning are going to have more than enough time to learn how to overcome those losses and be strong by the playoffs. I also think we can expect JBB to be aggressive at the trade deadline once more.

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
The only thing that concers me is that Tampa always (last 3 years) started season very shaky and slow,but we always had 82 games,now we gonna have 48 or 56. I hope guys will start this season much better than last otherwise there is little time to fix problems)

Letsgobolts21

Apr 19, 2019
I think the NHL Canadian division is part of the hold up now. Canada may not let them play so (1) does that affect the divisions--I think they should still go with how they drew it up, but try and get them to relocate closer together and then (2) if they do scrap the division plan, do they go with the existing divisions.

On the trades, not sure about this, but I know players got a November paycheck, I assume they got or will get a December paycheck. If I'm acquiring TJ and shipping no $$ out, then might as well let Tampa pay him as long as possible. I may be wrong about that, but cash flow is a real thing now and if you have a deal in place where Tampa is paying you assets to take TJ, why take on that cash burden any earlier than needed.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Tic Toc Tic Toc

Kylington just signed for league minimum. He's better than both.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Tic Toc Tic Toc

You obviously don't know how contracts work. Joseph and Volkov didn't make anywhere near 900k last season. Joseph had no signing bonuses last season so no money there, he had 182k in performance bonuses but I doubt he hit any of those so got nothing there, his salary in the NHL is 700k but spent less than half the season there so maybe he got 350k of that, his minor salary is 70k and he spent about half the season there so 35k, so Joseph probably made 385k last year which is less than half of 900k. Volkov had a 92k signing bonus, he had no performance bonuses, his NHL salary was 832k but he spent maybe a quarter of the season there so 210k, his minor salary was 70k which he spent the majority of the year so say 50k, so he made around 350k last year again well below 900k. Mitchell Stephens who played more regular season as well as playoff games as either of them signed for 738k, so not sure how or why we would pay the other two 900k?

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
You obviously don't know how contracts work. Joseph and Volkov didn't make anywhere near 900k last season. Joseph had no signing bonuses last season so no money there, he had 182k in performance bonuses but I doubt he hit any of those so got nothing there, his salary in the NHL is 700k but spent less than half the season there so maybe he got 350k of that, his minor salary is 70k and he spent about half the season there so 35k, so Joseph probably made 385k last year which is less than half of 900k. Volkov had a 92k signing bonus, he had no performance bonuses, his NHL salary was 832k but he spent maybe a quarter of the season there so 210k, his minor salary was 70k which he spent the majority of the year so say 50k, so he made around 350k last year again well below 900k. Mitchell Stephens who played more regular season as well as playoff games as either of them signed for 738k, so not sure how or why we would pay the other two 900k?
Because how else would he keep up the doomed narrative?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Sounds like Minnesota switched with Dallas. Will be cool to play them in our division this year. Pick it up from the finals.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Calm me down.gif

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
We keep him. We would move Gourde before Palat.

Doubtful, if you're at the point where Palat has to get traded then no one is going to take Gourde. Term is an issue for everybody and there's no way anyone takes 5 years of Gourde when they passed on Johnson. Palat only has 2 years remaining and is more attractive to teams if Johnson becomes immovable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad