Speculation: 2020-2021 General Lightning Discussion - Defending Champions Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Since Amalie, even once it's occupied, will have limited attendance, have the Lightning made any plans to get some front line medical workers (and their families) into empty luxury boxes?

They're socially isolated in there too. Maybe set up some Zoom calls with the players before the game, etc.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The format makes it weird this year.

So ridiculous thing to compare it to, but look at the Athletic. I am not really a fan of Joe Smith as a writer and I wish there was more game/team content over personal interest stuff, but the one thing he can do is take access and turn it into content. If you don't have access, you need to have another way to generate content. That comes from either deep dives or hot takes. Deep dives is real work and requires an understanding of the game but also an understanding of how to communicate the information. Hot takes are lazy and uninteresting to me.

I don't think churning out 1500 words three times a week on what happened in a 5-1 game is interesting content generally, but it probably needs to be *part* of it. But the rest of it needs something else, and it doesn't look like RC is in a position to actually do that.

That's a fair enough take because anyone can spin a 5-1 game. It wasn't even all that fun for me after the first few times. Dead on as usual

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Deals that looked "fair" at the time are turning into steals, Cernak, Sergachev and Cirelli are all performing well right now.

Teams are really struggling against us being able to roll Hedman, McDonagh and Sergachev at all times with a balanced workload is helping all of them succeed. In contrast, San Jose has 26m tied up to Burns, Karlsson and Vlasic while forced to ice Burns and Karlsson at 27mins each per game while producing no results.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoek

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Cernak is just really f***ing good.

Really have no issues with our D right now, and my only real ire to our forwards are fourth line wingers. We are clicking well now.

Even Luke Schenn looks f***ing great.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Cernak is just really f***ing good.

Really have no issues with our D right now, and my only real ire to our forwards are fourth line wingers. We are clicking well now.

Even Luke Schenn looks f***ing great.
The 4th line looks a lot better 11/7, but that structure probably isn’t sustainable in a condensed schedule.

Plus, come playoff time, I think TJ probably becomes the 4C assuming Kuck is back and we are healthy.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
I f***ing love that Vinik and co. aren't being idiots about this like the Panthers and Stars are.
Bet it would be a whole different story if MLSE and the Raptors weren't involved. Perhaps not to the extent of other teams but I highly doubt it would've been the same if not for that temporary affiliation.

Reactions: Hoek

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Man, the latest Galchenyuk trade made me take a look at the 2012 draft. And Vasy is by far the best player to come out of it. It's just bust, bust, bust, bust, Morgan Reilly, bust, bust, Slater Koekkoek (bust), Filip Forsberg, bust, bust, bust, and then very likely the best goalie in the game since roughly 2018. Another Yzerman/Murray homerun.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Not sure if the Bolts games there this week can go ahead...seems to be quite the bad situation...

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Man, the latest Galchenyuk trade made me take a look at the 2012 draft. And Vasy is by far the best player to come out of it. It's just bust, bust, bust, bust, Morgan Reilly, bust, bust, Slater Koekkoek (bust), Filip Forsberg, bust, bust, bust, and then very likely the best goalie in the game since roughly 2018. Another Yzerman/Murray homerun.

Connor Hellebuyck is in that draft who's the reigning Vezina winner and a top-3 goalie.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

I'm ashamed to admit it but I took losing the CBJ series better than passing on Forsberg. I could not believe he fell to us and had my ultimate Darth Vader "nooooo!" moment. Thank God I didn't have to wait long to feel better because I knew Vasilevskiy was gonna be a home run.

Biggest LOL's in history that the Caps traded him for Martin freaking Erat. That's even worse than passing on him in the draft

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm ashamed to admit it but I took losing the CBJ series better than passing on Forsberg. I could not believe he fell to us and had my ultimate Darth Vader "nooooo!" moment. Thank God I didn't have to wait long to feel better because I knew Vasilevskiy was gonna be a home run.

Biggest LOL's in history that the Caps traded him for Martin freaking Erat. That's even worse than passing on him in the draft

He must have bombed his interviews. He'd been passed over even before we passed him over, and then the weird trade out of Washington. Something must have been up with him as a prospect.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Vasy will go down as one of the all time greats, health permitting, at his position imo. That may end up being Yzerman's best move when it's all said and done. It may sound like a little much but this guy was giving off those vibes in his KHL days, at least from what I remember. Downie-->Quincey-->Vasilevskiy? Good God.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
Vasy will go down as one of the all time greats, health permitting, at his position imo. That may end up being Yzerman's best move when it's all said and done. It may sound like a little much but this guy was giving off those vibes in his KHL days, at least from what I remember. Downie-->Quincey-->Vasilevskiy? Good God.
Funny and ironic part of that is Yzerman is now the gm of the team he fleeced the most on that trade.

Reactions: copperlion and bov

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
He must have bombed his interviews. He'd been passed over even before we passed him over, and then the weird trade out of Washington. Something must have been up with him as a prospect.

You're not even kidding. The only thing that shocked me more was how easily the Caps let him go because I joked to myself "What Swede or Russian are they taking this year? because they were still in that phase that where since 2004 they had drafted either a Russian or a Swede with the exception of Karl Alzner and Sasha Pokaluk. And of course Forsberg just falls right into their lap. I thought for certain he'd stick around and be the #2 behind Backstrom.

He may have to thank his lucky stars that Duchene is probably expansion fodder because the Preds are in this weird place where with better coaching they'd be a solid contender. Hynes might be one of the worst coaches I've ever seen. But they can also sell-off for a king's ransom and rebuild. I mean... it's not like you can't hire a guy like Gallant, a GM and director of player development who don't all share the exact same vision for the team. Especially with Askarov in their back pocket as a potential #1 goalie.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
They should make Saturdays game in Tampa. Not sure if the Raptors are playing Saturday but they could also make the game Friday in Tampa as well. How is Dallas going to make it to 56 games?

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
They should make Saturdays game in Tampa. Not sure if the Raptors are playing Saturday but they could also make the game Friday in Tampa as well. How is Dallas going to make it to 56 games?
Yeah this sucks, I don’t understand how they can’t just move the game to Amelie. They should have been planning that since they had to postpone last game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad