2020 - 2021 AUS Thread

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Actually you know where a tournament style playoff would really work? The OUA. Both divisions have 8 teams each that make the playoffs. Book it!

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I agree. If we are to have a Nationals in 2021 it will have to be the same date.

For more than 14 regular season games we will have to see a shortened playoff run. A tournament style would be fun but I doubt we will see it.

If fans aren't allowed the location and time could easily be changed.

I believe that conference playoffs have to be tournament-style to make the regular season worthwhile.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
In a story in today's Daily Gleaner, the AUS coaches say they are hoping to put together a 22-game schedule in the upcoming season, with more Wednesday games.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
We usually see 12 games after the break...I think 22 might be optimistic/a tight squeeze, unless playoffs get pushed back.

If the nationals don't happen, that gives you an extra week or more. The NS teams can play each other any given night and travel to Moncton. Moncton can play UNB or UPEI almost any night and travel to NS. UNB and UPEI would need at least 2 weekends in NS and would have to figure out their head-to-head games.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
So what are the plans for the fall? Are players going to be on campus? If so, will they be allowed to practice? Is there any chance at all of exhibition games prior to the new year?

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
So what are the plans for the fall? Are players going to be on campus? If so, will they be allowed to practice? Is there any chance at all of exhibition games prior to the new year?

Nothing is official yet. Looks like a lot of student-athletes will be in town, but not necessarily "on campus", since only a few courses will have face-to-face components (and in SMU's case, there will be no face-to-face classes).

Since several schools are hosting summer sports camps under COVID rules, I see this as an argument for varsity sports to be able to have voluntary scrimmages in the Fall under (shifting) COVID rules.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
This only happens if the rules "shift". The fact the the Q will start training camp soon, exhibition games early Sept and league play in Oct certainly helps with the argument for on ice activities for AUS. The hockey camps are still groups of 10 with NO mingling by either staff of kids.

I don't know the rules in NB, but in some NS rinks you can have a 16 skater, 2 goalie shinny.
For those who don't know, it works like this:

4 players from Dark, 4 players from White and 1 goalie are in dressing room #1 and on the Home bench
4 players from Dark, 4 players from White and 1 goalie are in dressing room #2 and on the Visitor bench
The 8 skaters on Home bench play 4-on-4. When there is a line change, those 8 players go back to their bench and the 8 skaters on the Visitor bench play 4-on-4. There is NO one at a time change; it's 8 for 8.
Rinse and repeat. Skaters must respect social distancing from the opposing goalie.
This satisfies the 10 person rule used for drills and stuff.
Maybe not the best way, but at least you can have a decent shinny and pay a lot less.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
NS Health will allow "bubbles" of 200 people at Halifax Moosehead games. I haven't seen many details, but several groups of 200 people can be in the arena. It's up to the Metro Center to figure out how to implement this.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
fwiw, this from Twitter:

BREAKING: Hearing Prime Minister Trudeau held a call with Canada West, OUA, RSEQ & AUS leaders to get Fall sports back up and running ASAP “WE - not the charity - must come together to get back on the field, Canadians need it” he said.

I think RSEQ announced the other day they will have fall sports. Unsure of the details. If anyone can fill in the blanks on the Tweet, please do.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I was wondering this the other day...with the Q starting exhibition games and the MHL planning a late October start, is it now strictly in the hands of the conferences/schools when it comes to the return to play date?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
It would appear that the Feds and most provinces are trying their best to "relax" the rules for sports. Good idea as long as it doesn't result in a spike of cases. The masses won't like that.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
fwiw, this from Twitter:

BREAKING: Hearing Prime Minister Trudeau held a call with Canada West, OUA, RSEQ & AUS leaders to get Fall sports back up and running ASAP “WE - not the charity - must come together to get back on the field, Canadians need it” he said.

I think RSEQ announced the other day they will have fall sports. Unsure of the details. If anyone can fill in the blanks on the Tweet, please do.
That's a parody tweet from the boys at the Muted Madness podcast.

Reactions: AUS Fan

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I spoke with a current AUS coach the other day on "return to play" and there is nothing on the horizon at this time.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Kinda related, kinda not....

Just saw on Twitter the Bishops women's hockey team going on the ice. Does that mean the Quebec teams are on the ice while the rest of CIS is not?

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
Kinda related, kinda not....

Just saw on Twitter the Bishops women's hockey team going on the ice. Does that mean the Quebec teams are on the ice while the rest of CIS is not?

As long as the school and team's have completed an operational plan they are allowed to practice. Our teams will be jumping on the ice as soon as all the paperwork (and the ice) is ready. I assume most teams are already back on schedule with training (we were slow to get started on the paperwork and we had mechanical issues at the arena.)

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I believe it was mentioned in a recent Gleaner article that UNB is planning to start practicing by the end of the month.

Are the Quebec teams going to be allowed to play games?

Reactions: Rob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad