2020 - 2021 AUS Thread

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Outside chance of exhibition games in November?

Doubtful.
Found out today that SMU will be on the ice 21 Sep. Was also told that the "season" will start 8 Jan. But when I asked about clearance from health people, they didn't know.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Doubtful.
Found out today that SMU will be on the ice 21 Sep. Was also told that the "season" will start 8 Jan. But when I asked about clearance from health people, they didn't know.

Might be an exhibition game or two in the first week of January then.

Going to be interesting to see if they regulate the amount of fans that can attend the games? As of right now that is a definite yes. For most teams it won't have much of an impact though.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The Mooseheads are planning on playing in Halifax on October 3rd at 20% capacity...if they can play, what is preventing AUS teams from playing (in terms of clearance from health people)?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
The Mooseheads are planning on playing in Halifax on October 3rd at 20% capacity...if they can play, what is preventing AUS teams from playing (in terms of clearance from health people)?

I don't know the answer. Perhaps the Q teams are doing something more with testing, etc. I do know that the Moosehead players were isolated in a hotel for 2 weeks before training camp. Obviously, the AUS can't do that. Except UNB, of course.

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
I don't know the answer. Perhaps the Q teams are doing something more with testing, etc. I do know that the Moosehead players were isolated in a hotel for 2 weeks before training camp. Obviously, the AUS can't do that. Except UNB, of course.

lol - Except UNB, of course.[/QUOTE]. $$$

Reactions: Rob

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Might be an exhibition game or two in the first week of January then.

Going to be interesting to see if they regulate the amount of fans that can attend the games? As of right now that is a definite yes. For most teams it won't have much of an impact though.

The Aitken Centre Schedule has no Men's or Women's games currently listed going out to January - just weekly reoccurring practices for multiple teams and groups. But, that can change obviously, but nothing yet.

This season (BC -Before Covid), they would have started the 2nd half on Fri/Sat Jan. 8/9th and ended on Sat. Feb. 12/13 for 12 games on weekends and 2 Wednesday games for 14 and a 16-14 split. This would result in the AUS finals being the week of 8th-12th, the week before UCup.

Now (AC-After Covid), they could play those same 6 weekends (12 games), plus 6 Wednesdays for 18 total. This is a good number - play each team 3 times. If you want to play each team 4 times, you need to get 24 played - that might be too ambitious. I think 22 is also ambitious, it's two more weekends and you're opponents are unbalanced - also, you can only do that if you push out the playoffs which means you can't really get to UCup (but I think you want to keep that as option as long as possible - who knows it could be an all AUS affair).

So - 18 games, regular playoffs with the top seed getting a 1st-round bye (Best of 3, Best of 5, Best of 3) with Bronze and 5/6 place series running in parallel. For each conference who doesn't attend UCup - replace them with an AUS Team.

Last edited:

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I can’t imagine a University Cup unless all conference are represented.

Well it's in Charlottetown, so you may as well have an event. If the other conferences don't want to participate, that's their call - no one is twisting their arm and we end up with an AUS bias tournament which, for me, is better than nothing. We've had strange tournament formats in the past, so a tournament that is AUS bias is fine with me.

Now, that's assuming USPORTS allows PEI to host such a tournament. If they announce an all-events cancel notice, then it's decided.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Having an AUS-biased UCup following the AUS playoffs seems a bit redundant.

If (and obviously it’s a big IF at this point) all the conferences play this season and are on board, what about an old-school four team, single-elimination tournament? That why you cut back on the amount of people traveling...basically just one OUA team and one CW team coming from any distance away.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
All this "wishing and hoping" is just that - Wishing and Hoping.

If those in power authorize hockey then it will happen. Until then we can only wait.

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
As of today. I can see Aus playing. Out west 50/50 and oua 20% chance. Things could change but I have hard time believing all 3 conferences will play.

If no university hockey, there will be eligibility exception

Reactions: Rob and AUS Fan

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I am wondering what each conference and usports will say about official recognition of the season if not all teams play. For example, if 4 OUA teams can play, I doubt they'd be allowed to call the winner a conference champion.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
This seems encouraging...

Nova Scotia announced that as of October 1st “Gathering limit increased to 50 people without social distancing for participants in performing arts and sports. Participants in performing arts and sports can gather in groups of up to 50 people without maintaining a physical distance of 2 metres (6 feet) for practices, competitions, games, rehearsals and artistic performances. This includes players, participants, officials, coaches, instructors, performers, directors, cast, crew and anyone who is required to be on or near a field of play or within a performance space.”

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I find it interesting that they would announce this while the Mooseheads have been playing exhibition games with probably close to 50 people from both teams in the building.

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
I wonder what the penalty would be if 20 hockey players from one school were to end up playing a pick up game against 20 players from another school at a community arena

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I wonder what the penalty would be if 20 hockey players from one school were to end up playing a pick up game against 20 players from another school at a community arena

Not sure what "penalty" there could be, but I'm sure the schools would not like it. I think it's best for everyone to follow the rules and not try to find loopholes.

Reactions: MiamiHockey

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
It just doesn't see like September right now. This is the time of year when excitement begins for the season and taking in an exhibition game.
I hear you, but every situation has pro's and con's. I have about 30 rounds of golf in this year since August 25th that I wouldn't have been able to play any other year because of sport's commitments at work. I do miss the varsity sports a lot though, but trying to make the best of it.

Not sure what "penalty" there could be, but I'm sure the schools would not like it. I think it's best for everyone to follow the rules and not try to find loopholes.
Yeah, no sense doing anything stupid.

As of last Friday we've been shut down here in Moncton. Not good for any prospective season and certainly not good for my budget either with the rink being shutdown for a minimum of two weeks just as my full schedule was starting (after Thanksgiving).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad