2020 - 2021 AUS Thread

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
FISU games 2021
Any idea who will represent Canada, in the 2021 FISU games? AUS/OUA/CanadaWest?
Games are to take place Dec 11-21, in Switzerland.
USA hockey has announced that the Northeastern University (Hockey East) will represent the country in both Mens and Women's hockey.
This is the first time that I can remember an NCAA (Div 1) team involved, as usually the players come from Div 111 teams.

Due to the 2019 event being held in the middle of AUS Hockey Playoffs and ending just prior to the University Cup, the AUS informed USPORTS that they would not be assembling a team. The backup plan was taking the best talent from teams that did not make the playoffs or who were eliminated in the first round.

2015 - 27th - CW - Bronze
2017 - 29th - OUA - Bronze
2019 - 30th - Mix - Bronze (was originally assigned to the AUS)
2021 - 31st - tbd

The 2021 event, as mentioned, runs from Dec. 11th to 21st. The main issue with these dates is it overlaps exams for student athletes. The 2013 event was also scheduled in mid-December and it didn't seem to hurt the AUS All-stars - won gold over Kazakhstan in Italy.

If you go back to a conference rotation, then you could say that the AUS is up next. You could also say they skipped-out on the 2019 and as such it would go to CW.

With World Juniors returning to Edmonton/Red Deer - I could see that the Team Canada vs USPORTS event be between the top talent from MRU, CAL and ALB, so it would be hard for CW to do both (play TC and go to Switzerland).

As for the US - they had been sending teams made up of players from the ACHA (American Collegiate Hockey Association) which, at best, is NCAA Div. III. Sending a Div. I team will be a serious improvement for them - 'yes' they're tired of losing.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Looking at Northeastern roster for 2020, they have 6 or 7 Canadians. Can they play for team USA? The women have 3 Canadians and 2 Euros.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Looking at Northeastern roster for 2020, they have 6 or 7 Canadians. Can they play for team USA? The women have 3 Canadians and 2 Euros.

Good question. Wasn't there a female hockey player at a USPORTS school who played for their national hockey team? It might have been in Swimming? Good question though. Maybe they take 2-3 players form Boston College and BU to round the team out.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
With World Juniors returning to Edmonton/Red Deer - I could see that the Team Canada vs USPORTS event be between the top talent from MRU, CAL and ALB, so it would be hard for CW to do both (play TC and go to Switzerland).

They (USPORTS) could go with two national team rosters, one for the games versus TC (a single weekend) and another for FISU (2 weeks). I suspect most of the 'talent', that can go, would prefer to play the TC games due to the scouts watching, but not everyone goes (as we've seen in the past).

A National all-star team, maybe with a conference bias (eg. mostly AUS then add CW and OUA) would be a series contender for gold along with the US, KAZ and RUS.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Good question. Wasn't there a female hockey player at a USPORTS school who played for their national hockey team? It might have been in Swimming? Good question though. Maybe they take 2-3 players form Boston College and BU to round the team out.
That would be Venla Hovi from Finland who played for the Manitoba Bisons women's hockey team. Players for the USA must have USA passports to be eligible.

Reactions: AUS Fan

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB

I think STU had a player from Switzerland a few years back who played internationally. Not sure what tournament though…

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
They (USPORTS) could go with two national team rosters, one for the games versus TC (a single weekend) and another for FISU (2 weeks). I suspect most of the 'talent', that can go, would prefer to play the TC games due to the scouts watching, but not everyone goes (as we've seen in the past).

A National all-star team, maybe with a conference bias (eg. mostly AUS then add CW and OUA) would be a series contender for gold along with the US, KAZ and RUS.

I suspect a big consideration of who goes and doesn’t will be the academic and financial implications. IIRC the schools aren’t on the hook for the costs associated with one of their players going, although they can help out if they so choose.

Last edited:

Aces89

Apr 22, 2020
I think STU had a player from Switzerland a few years back who played internationally. Not sure what tournament though…

It was the 2010 Olympics. Lukie Nussbaum played for the Swiss. When I was at STU during that time frame they had two Swedish girls as well.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
... the schools aren’t on the hook for the costs associated with one of their players going, although they can help out if they so choose.

Correct - the player is obliged to cover the costs. USPORTS does provide some travel coverage as well as insurance. UNB and most of the AUS teams helped their players in 2013. Same goes for the USPORT All-Stars vs WJ's, schools have helped cover the flight and some extras.

I recall in 2013, Team Canada (AUS) had to purchase their jersey's or return them - close to $250.

All of this seems quite odd to me. You know the NCAA team will be full ride.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad