2020 - 2021 AUS Thread

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Good question.

I don’t recall redshirt players playing exhibition games, at least in recent years.

I do believe, however, that the roster cap doesn’t apply to exhibition games...remember Ben Duffy being allowed to play an exhibition game for UNB at Christmas before having to sit the second half because Halley took the last roster spot.

Probably unlikely, but if they only play exhibition games I wonder if AUS teams might decide to push hard to recruit some of the few overagers still left out there (there are still some good forwards left, D and G not so much). They could play exhibition games this year and then be ready to go next year after some roster spots open up when guys leave via graduation/pro. I guess it would depend if you think the current overagers left are better than what may be available next year, though.

Either way...2021 is going to be really interesting in terms of return to play and recruiting. It’s going to be different that’s for sure.

Island Husky

Sep 18, 2008
Kensington PEI
Any idea when we might hear a decision regarding return to play? I think it was supposed to come down mid-November.
Yes, there was an article in The Chronicle Herald yesterday, saying ( Phil Currie) they need another two weeks, something about needing info from the Health Depts. Yesterday's version was "free" in Press Reader because of technical difficulties with their websites.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
With PEI leaving the Atlantic Bubble - doesn't bode well for AUS Hockey after Christmas. Not sure how this affects QMJHL games in Charlottetown? Hopefully just a deterrent to unnecessary travel and we can all get our numbers under control.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
With PEI leaving the Atlantic Bubble - doesn't bode well for AUS Hockey after Christmas. Not sure how this affects QMJHL games in Charlottetown? Hopefully just a deterrent to unnecessary travel and we can all get our numbers under control.

Good points made here. Couple that with the Mooseheads having someone test positive and postponing a couple of games and it doesn't look good for NS or NB teams to be going anywhere. I'm not an Epidemiologist (although I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once) but I can't see the case numbers going back to zero anytime soon without some kind of lockdown.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
The Charlottetown Islanders and QMJHL have received exemption from the province to continue playing regular season games against Maritime Division teams currently approved to participate by their jurisdiction's Public Health protocols.

Campy

Jan 27, 2019

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
NB Sports Hall of Fame inducts UNB Head Coach Gardiner MacDougall (Builder category) to it's class of 2021. Well deserved recognition. Congrats, Gards.....

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
It will depend on if there is a full season next year. Given the long term projections for vaccination, I'm guessing they can have a semi-normal season. Acadia is "owed" another shot, but will they have the same team as last March? Also, I can only assume that they took a big hit financially with the cancellation and may be a bit gun shy. UPEI, knowing they were gonna host would have built their team this year with that in mind. Same as ACA, will UPEI have a tournament-ready team?
I think it will be late spring or early summer before we know how the vaccine is progressing and the number of cases nation wide.

Too many variables.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->