2020/2021 Around the League Thread | Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
absolutely love the way panthers play.

Just imagine if we pounced on Quenville when he was available. This is why the best coaches in the league are worth the money.

Best game I’ve seen in years,
credit to both teams for their efforts

Hells yes. Helps me remember why I am a hockey fan first, Canucks fan second.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Lightning played the cap game and won. Canucks have played the same game and won as well. There is nothing wrong with what Tampa did. It's not like these players didn't have legitimate long term injuries. And it's not like other teams don't end up keeping guys on the injury list after they've recovered at various points in the season due to cap reasons. Is what it is. Perhaps other teams should be better at planning.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I really, really enjoyed the MIN-VGK game. I can't remember the last time I saw a 1-0 game that exciting.
Something about watching a game where you don't have a joy/disappointment in whomever wins.

Overall, this is playoff intensity. First couple of games, everyone is trying to put their opponent through the glass.

I will say watching some of the TB/FLA game, that the refs need to take greater charge of the post whistle stuff and the tussling away from the puck. I didn't like the Jan Ruuta/Barkov even up call. should have been a FLA PP. Don't like the refs letting bottom 6 guys take top players with them to the box. All for battles along the boards and in front of the net. But, away from the puck, not so much.

Would be like giving LeBron/KD/Curry, etc coincidental fouls when a bench player shoves them and they get into it post whistle to get them into foul trouble.

Reactions: mossey3535

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Lightning played the cap game and won. Canucks have played the same game and won as well. There is nothing wrong with what Tampa did. It's not like these players didn't have legitimate long term injuries. And it's not like other teams don't end up keeping guys on the injury list after they've recovered at various points in the season due to cap reasons. Is what it is. Perhaps other teams should be better at planning.
Have no fear as we have the CBA expert on the Canucks payroll! Weisbrod to help Dim Jim.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Just imagine if we pounced on Quenville when he was available. This is why the best coaches in the league are worth the money.
Yeah absolutely. You really wonder what our team could do with someone like Quenneville.

Florida's the dream scenario for mismanaged franchises. Two years ago they were a bottom tier franchise in the league with a bleak outlook having spun their wheels for a decade. Caplocked by bad acquisitions, players consistently under-performing relative to expectations/country club atmosphere, years of asset mismanagement, basically all they had going for them was Barkov/Huberdeau/Ekblad and two of those looked destined to leave for brighter pastures soon in UFA.

An elite coach and an elite GM and two years later they're contenders. Phenomenal. Zito should be the unanimous GM of the year for the overhaul he did in under a year, everything he touched turned to gold and he dumped one of the three albatross contracts they had.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Yeah absolutely. You really wonder what our team could do with someone like Quenneville.

Florida's the dream scenario for mismanaged franchises. Two years ago they were a bottom tier franchise in the league with a bleak outlook having spun their wheels for a decade. Caplocked by bad acquisitions, players consistently under-performing relative to expectations/country club atmosphere, years of asset mismanagement, basically all they had going for them was Barkov/Huberdeau/Ekblad and two of those looked destined to leave for brighter pastures soon in UFA.

An elite coach and an elite GM and two years later they're contenders. Phenomenal. Zito should be the unanimous GM of the year for the overhaul he did in under a year, everything he touched turned to gold and he dumped one of the three albatross contracts they had.
I had advocated for Futa all along. Now I realize I had just misspelled Zito.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
What did we win exactly ?

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Wouldn't be shocked if Preds upset the Canes. Saros has been playing 2011 Tim Thomas level since Feb

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
Picturing our guys trying to compete against a team with Chara, Wilson, Mantha, Ovie makes me cringe. We'd get chewed up and spit out.

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
So? They're big. Cool. Chara can just barely skate at a passable NHL-level and Mantha is 3-ply. The other two, I would worry about.

So? They're big, fast, skilled and tough. The Canucks are slow, unskilled, small and soft. Not that cool

Mantha would be our 2nd or 3rd toughest player lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad