2020/2021 Around the League Thread | Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If he played in Canada or a bigger American market, he’d be a household name. He’s the real deal.
I think it’s more that with the divisional only setup a lot of fans don’t focus in on the other divisions. In a non Covid world he would be talked about as the leading ROTY candidate.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I think it’s more that with the divisional only setup a lot of fans don’t focus in on the other divisions. In a non Covid world he would be talked about as the leading ROTY candidate.
There is no doubt that he is. A Panarin level talent.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Doubt it with his contract
2 more years at $4.15 right? No one with term is getting claimed.

Hamilton, Pesce, Slavin, Skjei, Bean, Fleury, appear to be their top 6 now.

he hasn’t been the same since his back injury. He should have shut it down earlier when he had the injury.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
If he played in Canada or a bigger American market, he’d be a household name. He’s the real deal.

Astounds me that he went in the 5th round when he was already playing in the KHL at the age of 17. Likewise with Panarin going undrafted. Or nobody taking a late flyer on Gusev in his D+1 season.

The talent pool of teenagers playing in European pro leagues is so undervalued it's crazy.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Cogliano and Domi with the goals for their respective teams as the Blue Jackets and Stars are all tied up after ONE period of play

Last edited:
Reactions: lindgren

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Astounds me that he went in the 5th round when he was already playing in the KHL at the age of 17. Likewise with Panarin going undrafted. Or nobody taking a late flyer on Gusev in his D+1 season.

The talent pool of teenagers playing in European pro leagues is so undervalued it's crazy.
Well, also consider it's been 5 years from that draft and it also coincides with a period of time that Russians were not coming over immediately. He burned an ELC year in the off-season without ever playing a game for the Wild and is doing his final ELC this season. Money was also keeping Russians in the KHL at that time.

Clearly, he had the talent to come over a couple of years earlier, but was he making significantly more in the KHL vs an ELC contract in the NHL?

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Well, also consider it's been 5 years from that draft and it also coincides with a period of time that Russians were not coming over immediately. He burned an ELC year in the off-season without ever playing a game for the Wild and is doing his final ELC this season. Money was also keeping Russians in the KHL at that time.

Clearly, he had the talent to come over a couple of years earlier, but was he making significantly more in the KHL vs an ELC contract in the NHL?
That may be so, though regardless you're still getting a veritable 1st line talent that late in the draft.

Even if they all came over at age 22 I'd still be very happy with that outcome for a 5th round pick.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That may be so, though regardless you're still getting a veritable 1st line talent that late in the draft.

Even if they all came over at age 22 I'd still be very happy with that outcome for a 5th round pick.
Any late pick at that point, most are likely to take until 22-23 before they make the NHL. Some KHL guys come over, some don't. Tryamkin worked it so that he came over and played the final few games to burn his 1st ELC year and then did the 2nd year on his ELC.

Russian factor no longer what it was before. KHL money doesn't seem to be a big factor these days in keeping teens or early 20 year olds from coming to the NHL.

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Roslovic with THREE apples today, where the hell did this guy come from???

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I guess that old Calgary coach was Green level dud, cause Sutters dad seems to be getting everything out of that team. I predicted them to win the division at the start of the season and then as the season started saw i was wrong but who knows now if he can get them to compete to Torontos level

CFan23

Mar 12, 2021
Sutter tightened them up in a hurry. Montreal looks Colorado fast through the neutral zone against Vancouver but can’t even get any speed going vs Calgary.

I think most teams look fast in the neutral zone against us, we employ this weird style designed to prevent the optics of the defense getting blown by on the outside. But all that retreating does is let them get into the zone with ease and build up enough speed in the neutral zone they can get on the puck first if they choose to dump it in. Very easy to play against.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I guess that old Calgary coach was Green level dud, cause Sutters dad seems to be getting everything out of that team. I predicted them to win the division at the start of the season and then as the season started saw i was wrong but who knows now if he can get them to compete to Torontos level
Brandon Sutter's father is Brent. His uncle is Darryl.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Gardiner on waivers... high cap hit but someone will pick him up right?
Always reminds me of JD Burke going off on Benning on Twitter a few years ago...Burke lambasted Benning for picking Myers over Gardiner..until he clued in that Gardiner was a LHD (not right)....The twitter posts were quickly deleted.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think most teams look fast in the neutral zone against us, we employ this weird style designed to prevent the optics of the defense getting blown by on the outside. But all that retreating does is let them get into the zone with ease and build up enough speed in the neutral zone they can get on the puck first if they choose to dump it in. Very easy to play against.
Our forecheck is juvenile. We send two and three guys deep even when the opposing d has clear puck on stick. It doesn’t work in the
National League. We give up way too many out numbered rushes, where the opponents have speed through the neutral zone and there’s no back pressure trackers. Our d are forced to back in because they have no other option. These chances off the rush are the most difficult for the goalies too. And it all starts with a piss poor system of forechećk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad