2020/2021 Around the League Thread | Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Just goes to show that even the GMs that win cups make absolutely stupid ass decisions.

I hate complimenting Boston but they get it. You watch teams like LA, San Jose, St. Louis destroy themselves and Boston just keeps on trucking.

Outside of their couple absolutely elite players and the one Backes mistake early in his tenure, Sweeney refuses to give stupid contracts to guys over 30. Let Lucic walk. Let Krug walk. Let Boychuk walk. Let Eriksson walk. Let Soderberg walk. Take the money and invest it better than in retirement deals on guys past their prime.

Plus they do a good job of value-pumping on guys like Spooner/Heinen, and do a great job every year throwing together a patchwork bottom-6 where 5 of the guys you've never heard of before and are making $700k.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Jackets took a 4-1 lead and Florida has responded with TWO quickies in the third with almost SEVEN minuutes to go. Nail biter going on down south

EDIT They tied it holy shit! Barkov on the PP this is crazy

Reactions: geebaan and vanuck

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
I hate complimenting Boston but they get it. You watch teams like LA, San Jose, St. Louis destroy themselves and Boston just keeps on trucking.

Outside of their couple absolutely elite players and the one Backes mistake early in his tenure, Sweeney refuses to give stupid contracts to guys over 30. Let Lucic walk. Let Krug walk. Let Boychuk walk. Let Eriksson walk. Let Soderberg walk. Take the money and invest it better than in retirement deals on guys past their prime.

Plus they do a good job of value-pumping on guys like Spooner/Heinen, and do a great job every year throwing together a patchwork bottom-6 where 5 of the guys you've never heard of before and are making $700k.

Bang on. Look at the Bruins history post 2011 and the Canucks history post 2011 and all you can do is weep.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Vatrano for the Panthers completes the comeback 5-4 in OT! His 9th of the season that would be 4th tops on Canucks, what a pick up for them he has been

Reactions: geebaan and vanuck

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Dahlin another minus 2 tonight.
11 points and minus 23.
Could the Sabres be ruining this player? He doesn’t get points, and bleeds goals. His numbers are worse than Tyler Myers!

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
11 points and minus 23.
Could the Sabres be ruining this player? He doesn’t get points, and bleeds goals. His numbers are worse than Tyler Myers!

Yeah, what's the deal with Dahlin? Is it some overlooked flaw in his skill set or is it mental? I find it confusing when I look back at scouting reports that are very complimentary about his skating and then read some current opinions that he is a poor skater.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Long term exposure to tox . . . I mean, bad coaching and disspirited teammates from tox . . . I mean, bad coaching and dispirited teammates from bad coaching and tox . . . I mean, bad coaching and dispirited teammates from bad coaching and bad management and tox. . . I mean, bad coaching and dispirited teammates from bad coaching and bad management and bootlicking media and tox . . . I mean, bad coaching and dispirited teammates from bad coaching and bad management and bootlicking media and meddling coward ownership will result in bad player development.

Bad coaching/management/media/ownership. It's tox . . . it's bad.

Reactions: mriswith and vanuck

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
11 points and minus 23.

Dahlin has had a down year after a solid first two seasons, but Buffalo has the worst GF% at 5v5 with 35%. They almost give up twice as many goals 5v5 than they score.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Calgary limits the same Montreal team we’ve been having trouble with all year long to 18 shots ? Wtf is this Travis green?! We gave up 45 shots to them what is this.

Reactions: NomadicCanadian

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Who the hell would trust chiarelli holy f***
Hire stupid people, get stupid decisions!

you blow it into orbit. you trade the concession workers just to be sure.
First things first I fire Krueger and hire one of Gallant, Boudreau or Julien. Probably Boudreau for Buffalo's group.

Then I look for a goaltending upgrade that doesn't break the bank.

Then I wait and see with the pro team. I don't think that team should be as bad as they are, or as mentally defeated as they are, and Krueger has been a huge dud. Plus you're selling low right now. Eliminate the variables you can control first by bringing in a really good proven coach and see how it plays out.

Also fire everyone responsible for drafting and development over the last decade, fire whoever recommended the Skinner deal, and let Hall walk in summer. Snipe someone from the good drafting and development teams like Minny got Brackett from us and put them in charge.
You don't.

You hire a President, I'd recommend Gillis.

He/she tells the owner to stay the eff out of hockey ops.

He/she cleans out off ice staff. Hires a GM and several AGM's.

Blow up the team, keeping in mind the expansion draft.

GM hires head coach and rest of coaching staff.
I don't know what I'd do what that team. Outside of Eichel and a struggling Dahlin they look worse than an expansion team.

The sad thing is that they don't really have that many elite young pieces. Their drafting/development has been horrible.

Their biggest problem is their blueline. They have nobody that can play defense. And Ullmark is actually a good goalie but he's UFA this summer so things could get worse before they get better on that front.

It's a team that doesn't look close to turning it around.

Between Vancouver and Buffalo you've got two organizations with rumours of constant ownership meddling. Add bad management on top of that... as sibling franchises it feels like we're both truly cursed. But they have to start by strengthening the off-ice personnel - coaches, GM but probably the most important thing is hiring a president of hockey ops who actually knows what he's doing and can establish a culture where people are actually held accountable.

And yeah, sure they have Eichel/Reinhart/Dahlin/Olofsson/Cozens but their drafting in the 1st round has been very hit-or-miss going back basically a decade now. Looking at advanced stats, McCabe is one guy who actually pushes play at a high level and suppresses xGA relative to teammates (he's on par with Tanev in this regard over the last 3 years), though they've got a poor mix on D overall and a guy like Ristolainen probably should've been traded years ago.

Their bottom 6 is absolutely atrocious. One even wonders why they let Larsson go in free agency - he's the kind of two-way C that could actually help out their 3rd line. Ullmark is good, though losing Petersen to the Kings didn't help.

They've gotta move their glut of righties on the back end for picks (e.g Montour who's a pending UFA, Miller/Ristolainen have 1 year left come this offseason) and try to leverage the expansion draft to grab some undervalued blueliners. Like us, this is probably their biggest opportunity to grab talent on the cheap. Mittelstadt and Cozens should be given all the minutes they can handle at C in the middle 6 to see if they have something there - can Reinhart be a solution at 2C? His defensive metrics are actually fine and I wonder if that wouldn't help. They've been weak at center ice for years and are going nowhere if they don't fix it. Sign a cheap backup to platoon with Ullmark, and I'd try to take advantage of the cap squeeze on mid-tier UFA's this summer as much as possible to make the kind of additions Zito did with the Panthers to round out their depth in the meantime. Look at the kind of impact he's had so far in FLA after just a couple of months.

I'd be tempted to do a mini-rebuild over the next 2 years, but it has to be aggressive because there are some unique circumstances (Seattle draft, flat cap) that could potentially net them assets and help turn things around if they play their cards right.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
Buffalo is like the Edmonton of the East.... Dahlin would've flourished if he played anywhere else. Losing culture in Buffalo has gotten so bad... just ask RoR

Reactions: Bubbles

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Buffalo is like the Edmonton of the East.... Dahlin would've flourished if he played anywhere else. Losing culture in Buffalo has gotten so bad... just ask RoR

Two franchises that have been gifted multiple 1 overall picks (I know, but Eichel is essentially a no. 1) and pissed away their primes of these superstars.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster

If there's a part of the "Boston model" to emulate, it's this, just like you say. Whatever the hell we tried emulating was an utter failure, and clearly not representative of what was working over there.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

I sound like a broken record, but the Canucks are literally the only NHL team to have that much on the bottom 6. Every other NHL team has a bunch of minimum or $1 million players filling those roles.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

good teams with strong cores have a huge advantage when it comes to tire pumping and showcasing bad assets. boston is probably the best at it in the league the last few years. when they are done with a guy they can usually move on and they have often gotten great value. only after moving spooner/heinen/donato are they finally hitting a wall of skepticism on debrusk.

i would say that one thing benning has been very slow to learn coming from boston is how hard it is to do the same thing with a bad team.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Boston has run an efficient team. Thank goodness they completely bungled the 2015 draft or they'd have a dynasty.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

They're really the Vancouver of the East.

Been in the League for over half a CENTURY? Check! (did you see that @Luckylarry - I shouted!)

Just a few semi-final/Cup final appearances? Check!

No Cup? Check!

Meddling owner that cowardly avoids the media? Check!

No President, so owner can meddle without facing the media? Check!

Incompetent management? Check!

Inept coaching? Check!

Wasting the ELC years of their stars? Check!

I just don't follow them closely enough to see if they have the same bootlicking media. Would need to . . . check it out.

Reactions: vanuck and DFAC

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Zito has done a really nice job with FLA. That's why, I want the Canucks, whenever they fire Benning, to be able to interview all of these 2nd in command executives from other teams like a Zito/Brisebois about the opening rather than just interview guys who are not working, like Hextall, Futa, etc. At least give yourself the opportunity to meet with them and if you decide not to hire them, that's fine, but at least meet with the best candidates that you can.

I don't think teams will be releasing these guys at this point of the season.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Zito has done a really nice job with FLA. That's why, I want the Canucks, whenever they fire Benning, to be able to interview all of these 2nd in command executives from other teams like a Zito/Brisebois about the opening rather than just interview guys who are not working, like Hextall, Futa, etc. At least give yourself the opportunity to meet with them and if you decide not to hire them, that's fine, but at least meet with the best candidates that you can.

I don't think teams will be releasing these guys at this point of the season.
Again, why do you think these people aren't eligible to be interviewed currently?

Pittsburgh interviewed tons of people currently employed, including the Avs guy people here like. So again, do you think organizations are refusing to allow the candidates to be interviewed? or just refusing during the season?

The Canucks can be looking into candidates at any time, they don't need to wait until Benning is fired to start fielding calls. They need to be going after people not the other way around. Zito has done excellently, are we certain he couldn't have interviewed before the offseason? The Canucks should 100% be formulating a candidate list and getting in touch with them now....they wont though, because Frankie "no aqua" Blueberries loves Jim and his take it day to day plan.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I really don’t want to play the haha buffalo game when we are one year away from being them unless things don’t change for the best soon.

Reactions: vanuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad