2020/2021 Around the League Thread | Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Boston has run an efficient team. Thank goodness they completely bungled the 2015 draft or they'd have a dynasty.

Another example of how much luck is involved in drafting. Boston drafted Pastrnak at 24 the year prior, but make 3 bad picks in a row where 3 out of the 4 next players are superstars.

Reactions: I am toxic

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
My random musings but what would David Savard get as UFA? His only comparable is Tanev and he's not as good. Tanev got 4 year at 4.5 per and that's probably what he'll be looking at. The weird thing is that's barely a raise on his current cap hit. I'd be willing to give him the same contract to be Hughes partner but I'd need someone who watches Blue Jackets games of letting me if he's as good as advertised and what his aging curve will look like.

Reactions: CanuckCity

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Another example of how much luck is involved in drafting. Boston drafted Pastrnak at 24 the year prior, but make 3 bad picks in a row where 3 out of the 4 next players are superstars.
Pasta was drafted in 2014. Throes 3 picks in a row was 2015. In 2016 they got McAvoy. Very scary to think what they could have been.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
My random musings but what would David Savard get as UFA? His only comparable is Tanev and he's not as good. Tanev got 4 year at 4.5 per and that's probably what he'll be looking at. The weird thing is that's barely a raise on his current cap hit. I'd be willing to give him the same contract to be Hughes partner but I'd need someone who watches Blue Jackets games of letting me if he's as good as advertised and what his aging curve will look like.
Does Savard have any injury history like Tanev? That in addition to the flat cap hurt his bargaining position. Both would turn 31 in the year they hit ufa.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Pasta was drafted in 2014. Throes 3 picks in a row was 2015. In 2016 they got McAvoy. Very scary to think what they could have been.
Yup. Those 3 picks were so bad. Imagine it’s Barzal, Connor and Chabot.

That’s a dynasty if they don’t botch that first round. Even one of those 3.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Does Savard have any injury history like Tanev? That in addition to the flat cap hurt his bargaining position. Both would turn 31 in the year they hit ufa.

Nope. Has played nearly a full season 3 times. 70+ games another 2 times. Missed only 2 games last season. Last time he had a serious injury was 2015-16 and still played 65 games.

Reactions: CanuckCity

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Benning worked the Pastrnak draft for Boston before being hired here. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, sometimes there is some luck involved but most of the time it's seeing things differently. I mean I'm not sure if there was anyone who didn't rank Barzal ahead of the 3 Boston drafted. On our boards, I remember Barzal, Boeser, and Connor being guys Canucks fans wanted but not the guys that Boston drafted. It wasn't an unforseeable outcome that Boston wouldn't do so well with those 3 picks.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Yup. Those 3 picks were so bad. Imagine it’s Barzal, Connor and Chabot.

They would of won a cup with just one of them.

That’s a dynasty if they don’t botch that first round. Even one of those 3.

Benning worked the Pastrnak draft for Boston before being hired here. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, sometimes there is some luck involved but most of the time it's seeing things differently. I mean I'm not sure if there was anyone who didn't rank Barzal ahead of the 3 Boston drafted. On our boards, I remember Barzal, Boeser, and Connor being guys Canucks fans wanted but not the guys that Boston drafted. It wasn't an unforseeable outcome that Boston wouldn't do so well with those 3 picks.

There is no GM or scout that has an eye for talent significantally above his peers. If each GM roled a die 7 times every year and recorded every time they got a 1, you would expect 1-2 ones a year as the most likely outcome with occasionally getting 0 ones, and 3-4 ones. Are they good at drafting or just just happen to roll more ones at that time?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
There is no GM or scout that has an eye for talent significantally above his peers. If each GM roled a die 7 times every year and recorded every time they got a 1, you would expect 1-2 ones a year as the most likely outcome with occasionally getting 0 ones, and 3-4 ones. Are they good at drafting or just just happen to roll more ones at that time?
And this belief he’s a drafting guru is one of Benning’s biggest problems. “Why is no one taking Cole Lind?” That comment just shows how arrogant Benning is about his drafting skills. He locks in on a guy, and cannot understand why others don’t see things the same way, even his own scouts.

Reactions: vanuck

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
And this belief he’s a drafting guru is one of Benning’s biggest problems. “Why is no one taking Cole Lind?” That comment just shows how arrogant Benning is about his drafting skills. He locks in on a guy, and cannot understand why others don’t see things the same way, even his own scouts.

There are bad drafters, and a whole bunch of people that will fluctuate year to year in the one's they role. To know if someone is actually a good drafter they need a long time frame of good drafting with no periods of bad drafting, or we need to see their whole lists.

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
There are bad drafters, and a whole bunch of people that will fluctuate year to year in the one's they role. To know if someone is actually a good drafter they need a long time frame of good drafting with no periods of bad drafting, or we need to see their whole lists.

Agreed, this has always bugged me. As long as teams don't release their full draft rankings (and they probably never will), it's almost impossible to tell whether some teams actually have a better eye for talent or whether it's mostly just luck involved in their picks.

Like, you look at that sequence in the 2014 draft — Colorado takes Bleackley at #23 (total bust), Vancouver takes McCann at #24 (okay player, nothing special), Boston takes Pastrnak at #25 (superstar, steal). It's entirely possible that all three of those teams had all three of those three players ranked exactly the same, and it was pure accident of draft order that made Boston scouts look like geniuses and Colorado's scouts look like idiots rather than the other way around. But we have no way of knowing.

Reactions: CanuckCity and Pip

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Does Vegas have the most right shot players of any team? They seem to have a lot.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Oilers will make the playoffs by simply going .500 and sweeping the Senators. I cannot believe Canucks can't make the playoffs in this division literally .500 hockey and then beat the worse team in the league and you're in. What a waste

Reactions: geebaan

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Oilers will make the playoffs by simply going .500 and sweeping the Senators. I cannot believe Canucks can't make the playoffs in this division literally .500 hockey and then beat the worse team in the league and you're in. What a waste

just goes to show you how truly bad we are

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad