2020/2021 Around the League Thread | Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Overrated Habs falling back to earth like I said. I remember people jumping on me for saying the Canucks were making a mediocre Habs team look like a cup contender.

Reactions: bh53

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Métis actually. Algonquin. Brown as a bunny in the summer. Wife is Scottish. Kids are ... very cute :laugh:
1f55982d-cc7e-453b-a19c-7143430f2098-gif.393242

Reactions: Luckylarry

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Anderson on this goal.
This is the equivalent to that Ovechkin unplugged controller gif

Look at this defensive coverage. WTF even is this?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Sens coming on.

I’d find it sad and hilarious if the Canucks finished last in such a shit division.
We are significantly closer to last place than we are to a playoff spot when you adjust for games played.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I can't imagine they'll even entertain trading him because the Canucks won't be mathematically eliminated until after the deadline.
Given the history of the management group, that is a concern. But, with only divisional games played, it means that teams around them are always picking up points.

Currently, the Canucks have the 3rd worst Points Percentage in the NHL, ahead of only Ottawa and Detroit.

Toronto is in. I think once PLD is up to speed, Winnipeg will separate from the pack. Edmonton, if McDavid continues on his tear, he will carry Edm in. Montreal has dropped off in recent weeks. Haven't been the same since their last mini series with Vancouver. Calgary is struggling.

Canucks are 3 points behind Montreal, who have 5 games in hand. So, if Montreal goes .500 and gains 5 points, that puts the Canucks 8 points back for example. Winnipeg is 5 points up with 4 games in hand. Adding 4 points to them puts the Canucks 9 back. Edmonton is 6 points up with only 2 games in hand. I they also go .500 they would be 8 points up.

So, it dos not look good for the Canucks. Aside from the sweep of Ottawa, they have not strung together consecutive wins this seasons.

With so many teams in the US divisions that have played are 5-7 games fewer than the Canucks the NHL may opt to cut down the schedule for the North if they don't believe that those US teams can make up those games in hand. Maybe ends up being a 54 or 52 game season instead.

Reactions: bh53 and Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Given the history of the management group, that is a concern. But, with only divisional games played, it means that teams around them are always picking up points.

Currently, the Canucks have the 3rd worst Points Percentage in the NHL, ahead of only Ottawa and Detroit.

Toronto is in. I think once PLD is up to speed, Winnipeg will separate from the pack. Edmonton, if McDavid continues on his tear, he will carry Edm in. Montreal has dropped off in recent weeks. Haven't been the same since their last mini series with Vancouver. Calgary is struggling.

Canucks are 3 points behind Montreal, who have 5 games in hand. So, if Montreal goes .500 and gains 5 points, that puts the Canucks 8 points back for example. Winnipeg is 5 points up with 4 games in hand. Adding 4 points to them puts the Canucks 9 back. Edmonton is 6 points up with only 2 games in hand. I they also go .500 they would be 8 points up.

So, it dos not look good for the Canucks. Aside from the sweep of Ottawa, they have not strung together consecutive wins this seasons.

With so many teams in the US divisions that have played are 5-7 games fewer than the Canucks the NHL may opt to cut down the schedule for the North if they don't believe that those US teams can make up those games in hand. Maybe ends up being a 54 or 52 game season instead.
Our management had to know they took a step back in the off season not signing our big three UFAs. If we don’t trade coming UFAs before the TDL this season it only further supports these guys have no plan.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Our management had to know they took a step back in the off season not signing our big three UFAs. If we don’t trade coming UFAs before the TDL this season it only further supports these guys have no plan.
Trade deadline is April 12.
But, with the Border quarantine requriements, the TDL is likely closer to the end of March if you want that player on your roster for the stretch drive.

Pearson, Sutter, Edler, Benn, Hamonic are your UFAs. Assuming Edler, who has the full NMC waives, the return (in draft picks IMO would be:)
Pearson/Edler - 2nd round
Sutter - 4th round (possibly 3rd round)
Benn/Hamonic - 5th round

These are the guys that the Canucks need to move. What will hurt is that the NHL has not formalized when the 2021 draft will occur? It is scheduled for June 2021, but they would like to push it back, but that requires an agreement with the PA. So, if the draft goes ahead as normal, then teams would likely be more willing to deal 2021 picks vs 2022 picks.

The Canucks should also be looking to move Beagle/Roussel with $1 million retained to drop their cap hit down to $2 million to free up space.

Virtanen seems like an off-season move now. Only way he returns is if Aquaman cleans house of both Benning and Green and he gets 1 final shot with a new regime.

If this is the price to move off Benning, so be it. This is the price he pays for handing out all of those contracts.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I can't imagine they'll even entertain trading him because the Canucks won't be mathematically eliminated until after the deadline.

Yeah, this management group has had trouble recognizing when they're out at the deadline with the spread in the standings 60+ games into the season.

There's no way they'll have the math skills to figure out that they're out of the playoff picture at a 40-game deadline.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
They also are going to want to field the best lineup for the "playoff drive" as opposed to tanking down the stretch if they think their job is on the line. If they think playoffs = job then even 10% playoff odds means all those UFAs are going down with the ship.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

I shall never advocate for liking a Bruin....but this is hard not to just laugh at

Hating Pasta just because he is a Bruin is some serious crazy-ex vibes. Pasta is awesome and I feel bad for people who can't enjoy his game because he's a Bruin.

Honestly, same goes for Marchand. Hell of a player, amazing to watch.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They also are going to want to field the best lineup for the "playoff drive" as opposed to tanking down the stretch if they think their job is on the line. If they think playoffs = job then even 10% playoff odds means all those UFAs are going down with the ship.
All true. But, this is a much different season with only divisional games, so aside from not caring about a Toronto/Ottawa game, whenever Edm, Win, Mon, Cal play each other someone is getting the 2 points and maybe the OTL point as well. And it's hard to sweep an entire 3 game series, so even if Win were to pull away from Montreal, you'd still expect Montreal to come away with at least 2 points from a 3 game set. So, the Canucks have to win their series. After 4 games with Calgary, they only gained 1 point on Calgary. They gave up 3 points to Winnipeg. 6/12 points in the last 6 games with no back to backs.

Home to Edm for 2 games to close Feb. In March they have 4 games vs. Win and 4 vs Mon. 2 against both Ott and Tor and 1 each vs Edm & Cal. That is 16 more games to get them to 38 by the end of March. Honestly, given their luck vs Win/Mon this season, lucky to get 8/16 points there. Tor and Ott, likely to split since they got dominated by Toronto in their 3 game set. The 4 games vs. Edm/Cal can they get 6/8 points there? So, 18/32 points? Would realistically need at 24 to have any realistic chance to push for the playoffs over the final 18 games from April onwards. Meaning, they need to win the series 3-1 vs Mon & Win and steal a game from Toronto. Or get some OTL.

In 19 games against Non Ottawa this season, the Canucks have not put together back to back wins. How insane is that.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Calgary Flames @NHLFlames
.@MFradiology Injury Update: Jacob Markstrom will not dress tonight. He is day-to-day with an upper body injury.

Called it...I knew it would just be a matter of time.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Calgary Flames @NHLFlames
.@MFradiology Injury Update: Jacob Markstrom will not dress tonight. He is day-to-day with an upper body injury.

Called it...I knew it would just be a matter of time.
Crappy for Marky, but he has been getting hurt when overplayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad