Who starts Game 4?

• Linus Ullmark

Votes: 32 28.1%
  • Jeremy Swayman

Votes: 82 71.9%

• Total voters

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Swayman. At this point, just go with your gut. Like Game 1, Swayman wasn't overworked in Game 3 and especially with two days in between I think it makes the most sense. Ullmark has made an appearance now in this series and I wanted them to use both guys at least once in the first 3 games. Now that's happened, it's basically one game at a time and Game 4 Swayman is the goalie I'd be starting.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Seriously, which one of our goalies is in net really isn't the main concern for me. Both are capable of winning/stealing games. Though, like many here, I would probably prefer to ride with Swayman until the wheels fell off. Swayman is the future and for some reason I just feel more comfortable with him in net. Which may be attributed to the unfortunate events of the last two playoff seasons and even then I can't completely blame Ullmark.

I am more concerned with the team's overall play. I'm still waiting to see a Bruins team that can take it to another level in the playoffs something that we haven't seen around here in many years. Winning in the regular season is one thing, but I want to see them take it to another level. Dominate and win through sheer force of will ... Put their foot on the opponent's neck.
But I'll be happy with any win. Rake and burn the Leafs.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I just don't get the overthinking it. If Swayman wins game 4, STICK WITH HIM!
The only overthinking that matters is whether either or both of these goaltenders can withstand multiple back to back games physically and mentally.

Neither have proven they can do so. Also, neither have proven they can win in the playoffs.

Having said that, I go back to Sway for game four. He has had rest between game three and Saturday. He should be fine physically. Mentally, as Jim Montgomery points out, Swayman is the most competitive player on the team, save Brad.

It is lights out in game 4, you go back to him for game 5.

Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

Durnberg

Feb 2, 2007
I’d give Swayman the start in game 4, then win or lose I go with Ullmark for game 5

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
If you lose with Ullmark in game four, Toronto has it in their head they still have to beat Swayman in Boston, potentially twice.

If you win with Ullmark in game four, the Leafs are likely mentally beat.

If you lose with Swayman in game four, it’s harder to go back to Ullmark IMO.

So, I start Ullmark.

Reactions: troubbble

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
If you lose with Ullmark in game four, Toronto has it in their head they still have to beat Swayman in Boston, potentially twice.

If you win with Ullmark in game four, the Leafs are likely mentally beat.

If you lose with Swayman in game four, it’s harder to go back to Ullmark IMO.

So, I start Ullmark.
the goal is to not lose game 4 and give Toronto any confidence going into game 4 by starting a goalie they beat game 2

bruinshoper

Sponsor
Jan 20, 2011
It's pretty fun to have two of the best goalies in the league so we can have these discussions. I've gone back and forth, but if I were coahc, I would definitely go with Swayman due to the likelihood that he's in Leaf's heads a bit, is playing ice-blood-veins hockey, and gets the extra day of rest. Also, you KNOW he wants back in so badly, and will stop shots with his crotch if he needs to. I'd sit down with Linus and be like: "Man, I know I told you we would rotate....and I know you're solid, but for the best chance to win I'm going with Swayman tomorrow because I want to ride that mojo".

Having said that, I'm fine if they decide to rotate Ullmark in. He is an excellent tender, and played a great game two. Also, If he is in, it provides some fascinating discussion possibilities depending on how the game goes (how do the guys play in front of him, what does it do to the Leafs if Ullmark shuts the door...knowing they get to play Swayman in Boston down 3-1. Or how does it affect the B's if Ullmark loses and heading back to Boston with the series tied up again).

What fun. I love the playoffs.

Reactions: GordonHowe and SPV

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Think it’s Ullmark.

If they start Swayman and the series ends up tied now the whole gonna rotate goalies thing will really be a distraction.

They’re up on the series. Ullmark played well his first game. Swayman still has at least two more potential starts and no one would question you at that point if he played all three remaining games.

That’s my guess anyways.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
They've rotated all season long, I don't see Monty changing that.
If he does that he's the exact idiot I made him out to be

ullmark. played well in game 2. should go again based on how the team deploys the goalies.
not his fault they lost game 2...yeah swayman has been great, and he'll be great again in game 5.

:nod::popcorn:
nonsense

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
total honesty, i don't really care who plays goal in the next game.

but for the start swayman crowd, if he plays poorly and loses game 4, and then ullmark wins game 5 and plays well...
who starts in game 6?
If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle

Good question but a better question is ,

Why the f*** would you not go with a guy who is ,

Over the last two seasons , against the Leafs

6-0-0
1.31 gaa
.959 SV%

You don't have to be a wizard to figure that one out , you would have to be some kind of moron to think Ullmark is your guy .

I laughed at Samsonov's PO numbers until I saw Ullmark's

Career PO'S
3.49 GAA .890SV% if that's your man , more power to ya .

No making sense of the play Ullmark crowd. His time will come , not against the Leafs .

Last edited:

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
According too you , I am officially banned.
Bye

25 Maple Leafs fans and counting voted for Ullmark.
No shit?

Ullmark was the hot goalie down the stretch of the season and Swayman was not as good. I don't think Ullmark played bad at all in his start but we didn't score. can't win if you don't score no matter who is in net.

I would keep the rotation unless one of them shits the bed bad other then that. if it aint broken dont fix it.

2 goals hasn't won a game in this series and probably will not.
Leafs fans agree, what does that tell you?

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
If they bench Swayman tonight I doubt he’s a Bruin next year. He’ll ask for too much money in the off-season and get moved like Hamilton or Kessel.

Also the break will be too long from game 3 to game 5 each break is 2 days. The guy we saw Wednesday will be gone.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
If they bench Swayman tonight I doubt he’s a Bruin next year. He’ll ask for too much money in the off-season and get moved like Hamilton or Kessel.

Also the break will be too long from game 3 to game 5 each break is 2 days. The guy we saw Wednesday will be gone.

I disagree with every point made here.

But still think it should be Sway.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I disagree with every point made here.

But still think it should be Sway.
So he gets benched after being NHL player of the week and then just turns around and gives us a team friendly discount?

You prefer to give a goalie5 days rest vs 2?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad