2020/2021 Around the League Thread | Part 2

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Watching the Sabres, and not impressed with Dahlin’s offensive game. He’s okay as an all around guy. I’m seeing a guy like Edler, which is a really good player for sure, but it’s not Quinn Hughes.
We got really lucky in that draft.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
What are you even talking about?

You're arguing with yourself, nobody is saying its only goaltending, although Smith and koskinen is a terrible tandem.

As is abundantly clear if you're reading along, everyone is saying bottom 6, defense, including losing klefbom, and goaltending.
It's not a secret.

Idk if you're being purposefully disingenuous, obtuse, argumentative or all of the above.
MS has essentially stated that the Oilers are a good team whose only issue is that they're missing Klefbom and have poor goaltending. I think I've shown otherwise.

EDIT: Klefbom, at least as he's been his past two seasons, also does very little to solve the Oiler's issues on defense.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
We're approaching the 20% mark of the season and it would be hard to say the Oiler's defense has been better than ours thus far. Heck, the advanced stats going into the season suggest they have the worst defense in the North division and you're claiming it's just goaltending that's holding them back.

View attachment 390325

Does that look like a team that's built to win?

Now bonus points, if they were 9th best last season, they weren't by points percentage they were 12th, let's look at the teams on each side of them in both total points and points percentage and see how they actually stack up.

View attachment 390326

View attachment 390327

Those were 11th and 13th by points percentage last season and they seem to stand out as miles better than the Oilers. Let's look at the teams who're 8th and 10th by raw points now!

View attachment 390328

View attachment 390331

Yeah, even Dallas looks to be better than the Oilers which is funny since the only issue the Oil should have, by MS logic, is poor goaltending...

I'm not sure why you're having such a go at me for this.

Of course their defense isn't great. Their #1 defender is out for the season.

And I've never said they were some sort of perfect team with 'only' bad goaltending, just that goaltending has historically been their biggest problem.

Again, this discussion started when a poster claimed that Edmonton, after finishing 9th in the NHL in the regular season last year, should sell McDavid because they'll 'never dig out of their hole'. That statement was clearly ridiculous.

Also those WAR numbers are horrible and useless.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Klefbom hasn't been especially good for a while now. Without going under the knife he'd have been just as bad this season as he was last season, so I'm going to disagree that he would have fixed their defense. I'm also not expecting him to bounce back next season after missing an entire year of hockey.

And I've never said they were some sort of perfect team with 'only' bad goaltending, just that goaltending has historically been their biggest problem.
If that's so why have many of their 'bad' goaltenders bounced back the second they leave Edmonton?

Again, this discussion started when a poster claimed that Edmonton, after finishing 9th in the NHL in the regular season last year, should sell McDavid because they'll 'never dig out of their hole'. That statement was clearly ridiculous.
Yes and? I don't really care how it started I care that your arguments are trash.

So which metrics do you, a poster who chooses to ignore points percentage to claim a team finished 9th, use?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
The original statement that MS was responding to basically said the only way to fix the Oilers was to trade McDavid/Draisaitl and I’ve definitely heard this sentiment in the past. The point is that they are not far off and were a pretty good team last year. They aren’t the broken mess that admittedly I wish both Alberta teams were.

If the Oilers go in and clean up Ottawa they are right back at .500 and in the mix.

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
The original statement that MS was responding to basically said the only way to fix the Oilers was to trade McDavid/Draisaitl and I’ve definitely heard this sentiment in the past. The point is that they are not far off and were a pretty good team last year. They aren’t the broken mess that admittedly I wish both Alberta teams were
I think this is where the disagreement is. They're basically saying they find it weird how MS, a guy who puts a lot of emphasis on 5v5 stats, is saying Edmonton was good last year when they were trash 5v5 and were carried by special teams. So by what metric would they be considered a good team according to MS? Just standings now?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I think this is where the disagreement is. They're basically saying they find it weird how MS, a guy who puts a lot of emphasis on 5v5 stats, is saying Edmonton was good last year when they were trash 5v5 and were carried by special teams. So by what metric would they be considered a good team according to MS? Just standings now?

I’ll let MS speak for himself on that particular point. Where I took issue was when Norade was using their play in the bubble rather than the stats he later provided

Reactions: geebaan

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
THIS!

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I was only using the bubble thing to dispute that they were the 9th best team in the league. I brought out the stats to prove that they're actually bad.
Yes, the Oilers are bad, but we are worse. Or at least Benning (this off season) made us worse.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Another pint for Jack Hughes. Going to be fun watching to see which between Quinn and Jack end up with most points this year.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yes, the Oilers are bad, but we are worse. Or at least Benning (this off season) made us worse.
I'm not sure we are actually worse. On paper, we should be bottom 3 along with the Sens and Oil, but I could easily see the Flame's imploding, and I honestly think we're closer to taking that spot than the other two teams. The other thing is that more than any team in the division the Oilers are completely f***ed if either star misses games. We'd have a bad time if we lost Pettersson or Hughes but the Oil...

Reactions: Luckylarry

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

I think people are objecting because you're using a lone fact, the team's place in the standings, while ignoring far more relevant facts that you have a history of citing when it's more convenient to whatever argument you're trying to make, such as 5V5 goal differential, as well as vaguely suggesting the presence of two superstars on the team makes it harder to judge their performance without supplying an argument as to why this is the case.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I'm not sure we are actually worse. On paper, we should be bottom 3 along with the Sens and Oil, but I could easily see the Flame's imploding, and I honestly think we're closer to taking that spot than the other two teams. The other thing is that more than any team in the division the Oilers are completely f***ed if either star misses games. We'd have a bad time if we lost Pettersson or Hughes but the Oil...
I want us to win, of course, but know it’s better to be last than in the middle. The middle equals mediocre, which is crap.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I want us to win, of course, but know it’s better to be last than in the middle. The middle equals mediocre, which is crap.
Unfortunately or fortunately depending on your point of view, I think that most of the North Division is so bad that we probably do land somewhere in the middle. Montreal and Toronto so far look decent and I’m intrigued to see Winnipeg with Dubois. I think that could be a decent team.
Calgary, Edmonton and us look about her same. I could see things completely imploding in Edmonton if they lose a couple more games in a row. For the Canucks, I think we’re lucky to be at .500 (thanks Ottawa!) but our first line has mostly played poorly. I don’t expect that to continue.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Watching Jersey. Very well coached positionally. Crappy players mostly though. Sabre’s should pound them.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Klefbom hasn't been especially good for a while now. Without going under the knife he'd have been just as bad this season as he was last season, so I'm going to disagree that he would have fixed their defense. I'm also not expecting him to bounce back next season after missing an entire year of hockey.

They lost their #1 defender. Whatever you think of him, his replacement is going to be worse.

If that's so why have many of their 'bad' goaltenders bounced back the second they leave Edmonton?

Many?

Cam Talbot is 1, who has had 1 solid season as a backup since leaving.

Yes and? I don't really care how it started I care that your arguments are trash.

My arguments are only 'trash' if you completely don't grasp the point or what I was responding to, and then build up all kinds of strawmen.

So which metrics do you, a poster who chooses to ignore points percentage to claim a team finished 9th, use?

This was a very simple argument against a poster claiming that Edmonton should trade the best player in the NHL because they were 'never going to turn things around' when they finished ahead of us in the standings last year.

This isn't something meriting a deep dive into garbage WAR stats.

This is the f***ing weirdest argument I've ever had here. People losing their shit because I say that Edmonton wasn't a terrible team last year and shouldn't trade the best player in the NHL. Bizarre.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Unfortunately or fortunately depending on your point of view, I think that most of the North Division is so bad that we probably do land somewhere in the middle. Montreal and Toronto so far look decent and I’m intrigued to see Winnipeg with Dubois. I think that could be a decent team.
Calgary, Edmonton and us look about her same. I could see things completely imploding in Edmonton if they lose a couple more games in a row. For the Canucks, I think we’re lucky to be at .500 (thanks Ottawa!) but our first line has mostly played poorly. I don’t expect that to continue.
I think early returns from this division are probably unreliable. You've got a small number of teams all playing mini series against one another. After 20-25 games we'll know a little more. I don't expect Calgary to stay down for long.

Reactions: Pip

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think people are objecting because you're using a lone fact, the team's place in the standings, while ignoring far more relevant facts that you have a history of citing when it's more convenient to whatever argument you're trying to make, such as 5V5 goal differential, as well as vaguely suggesting the presence of two superstars on the team makes it harder to judge their performance without supplying an argument as to why this is the case.

Jesus Christ, man.

As I said, my comment would be exactly the same if someone said that Vancouver should trade Pettersson because the Canucks would 'never turn it around'. It's a f***ing stupid statement to make about a team that just had a winning season.

Both Edmonton and Vancouver in 19-20 had flawed teams with ES issues that would cause concern about projecting their long-term performances or further improvement. That can be true, and it can also be true that acting like they're still bottom-5 doormats that should be tearing it down and rebuilding is a totally ridiculous comment.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think early returns from this division are probably unreliable. You've got a small number of teams all playing mini series against one another. After 20-25 games we'll know a little more. I don't expect Calgary to stay down for long.
You could be right. I get the sense that there’s something going on in Calgary with problems with the core. On paper that’s a pretty good team with a top goalie.

Reactions: I am toxic

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
This is the f***ing weirdest argument I've ever had here. People losing their shit because I say that Edmonton wasn't a terrible team last year and shouldn't trade the best player in the NHL. Bizarre.
No one is claiming the Oilers were a terrible team or asking you to agree that they were and few of us at this point necessarily disagree with the contention that the Oilers shouldn't trade their best players. We're pointing out that you're sticking to one fact to try to make a case while disregarding and playing down the importance of other facts that you usually seem to find credible when it suits your argument. Simply pointing out the Oilers finished 9th last year isn't particularly illustrative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad