2020/2021 Around the League Thread | Part 2

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
JThat can be true, and it can also be true that acting like they're still bottom-5 doormats that should be tearing it down and rebuilding is a totally ridiculous comment.
Again -- no one is saying or acting like they're a bottom-5 roster. There is a belief that the Oilers could construct a better roster by trading McDavid for full value. That's the claim people have actually made.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No one is claiming the Oilers were a terrible team or asking you to agree that they were and few of us at this point necessarily disagree with the contention that the Oilers shouldn't trade their best players. We're pointing out that you're sticking to one fact to try to make a case while disregarding and playing down the importance of other facts that you usually seem to find credible when it suits your argument.

Someone literally claimed exactly this. To the letter. This was what I responded to.

This wasn't some sort of a deep dive response where we're evaluating just exactly how good or bad Edmonton is. It was a simple response to a very obviously wrong statement. Edmonton would have had home ice advantage in a normal playoffs last year based on where the season ended.

AGAIN. This is no different than if someone came on here and made the remarkably stupid claim that the Canucks should trade Pettersson because we'd never turn it around. I don't care how many issues I have with our system and ES play, that statement is blatantly idiotic and incorrect.

Nov 1, 2011
Interesting that Markstrom has only put up a save% over .910 (essentially starter level) twice this season so far...both against us.

He hasn't been great against everybody else so far.

Reactions: Indiana

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

AV is a great system coach but I've never liked how hard he's been on young players. Legit destroyed JT Miller's confidence back in New York.

Yeah, this is just bizarre and I’m really surprised it’s not blowing up as a bigger story. I get that his play hasn’t been consistent at both ends of the ice, but man. Imagine the uproar if Green benched one of Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser or Hughes right now. I think Konecny is held in similar esteem in Philly.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Yeah, this is just bizarre and I’m really surprised it’s not blowing up as a bigger story. I get that his play hasn’t been consistent at both ends of the ice, but man. Imagine the uproar if Green benched one of Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser or Hughes right now. I think Konecny is held in similar esteem in Philly.

Tryin to Torts him into submission. lol

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Interesting that Markstrom has only put up a save% over .910 (essentially starter level) twice this season so far...both against us.

They need a legit playdriving 1C and a 1D to replace Giordano.

signing markstrom and tanev to those contracts was just brutal for them. They’ll get their wins but stay in the middle for a long time and will eventually have to blow it up. Gaudreau will be gone within a couple seasons.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

What do our goalies numbers look like against not Ottawa?

I don’t get the new phenomenon of evaluating single game save percentages.

which goalie was better they guy who stops 18 out of 20 or 45 out of 50?

.900 for both. But you can’t tell any of the story from presenting it that way.

Reactions: Luckylarry

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
They lost their #1 defender. Whatever you think of him, his replacement is going to be worse.

Many?

Cam Talbot is 1, who has had 1 solid season as a backup since leaving.

My arguments are only 'trash' if you completely don't grasp the point or what I was responding to, and then build up all kinds of strawmen.

This was a very simple argument against a poster claiming that Edmonton should trade the best player in the NHL because they were 'never going to turn things around' when they finished ahead of us in the standings last year.

This isn't something meriting a deep dive into garbage WAR stats.

This is the f***ing weirdest argument I've ever had here. People losing their shit because I say that Edmonton wasn't a terrible team last year and shouldn't trade the best player in the NHL. Bizarre.

My specialty is . . . well, username, you know.

Bandy's is diverting from the topic at hand by nitpicking something irrelevant, usually a straw man.

We are the yin and yang of HFCanucks, without the two of us the forum would stop spinning and death spiral into the sun.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
They need a legit playdriving 1C and a 1D to replace Giordano.

signing markstrom and tanev to those contracts was just brutal for them. They’ll get their wins but stay in the middle for a long time and will eventually have to blow it up. Gaudreau will be gone within a couple seasons.
I think they know they only have two seasons left to make a dark horse run so they went all in on win-now mode. I respect it. I don't think it will work because that forward group is too thin and weak, but I like seeing other teams do all in plays. Liked it when CBJ did it a few seasons ago too.

For a win-now play in the next two years, signing Markstrom and Tanev was great. Barring some trade or draft magic, 2022-2023 will be the start of a new rebuild for them so it doesn't matter as much if the contracts hurt for a few years there.

Fun side note, Bobrovsky and Markstroms contracts end in the same year :laugh:

Reactions: Indiana

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
My specialty is . . . well, username, you know.

Bandy's is diverting from the topic at hand by nitpicking something irrelevant, usually a straw man.

We are the yin and yang of HFCanucks, without the two of us the forum would stop spinning and death spiral into the sun.
Irrelevant: Noun; the central point of a disingenuous or deliberately incomplete statement you thought no one would actually take the time to point out. Synonyms: peripheral; immaterial; tangential

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
If Trocheck bounces back to what he was 2ish years ago the Canes are gonna be scary.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Jersey design seemed to peak around the early 90s. Although "peak" hardly seems like the right word since jerseys didn't change that often before then. If Joe Blow wants to sell more of something and make money there's a tiny part of me that can always overlook that, but did more people really buy the latest jerseys when smaller market US teams changed them every 3-4 years? They're no longer doing it, so maybe not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad