Prospect Info: [2020 - 102nd] Jack Smith (NCAA - Minnesota-Duluth)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Speaking to McCagg, Timmins explained why Smith was taken ahead of Biondi, who was Mr. Hockey (the top individual title a high school player gets in Minnesota). He explained that Smith's skating was the main reason why. Because you never know if MB will trade the next pick, they decided to ensure they get Smith first. But obviously, they're very happy having been able to draft both.

Reactions: jaffy27

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
been watching a little of him now, as I have 4 of his 11 games from this past season. He missed over half the season (played 11 of 24 games) he came back from a torn labrum on 2-7-20 as I have the game where the announcers say it's his first game back after being out a while. So they must really like him and the hope is that he was underscouted due to missing so much time and by not going the USNDTP route.

He had 16 goals in 11 games so that put him on pace to lead the team and be 2nd in points. Really like the skating, much like Pitlick's it's elite or if you go by baseball scouting it's plus but could be plus plus once he adds mass and lower body strength over time. Very interested to see how this kid does though he's eligible for the NCAA loophole in his Junior year so hopefully that's not an issue down the road.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
also wanted to point out in the state tourny (his team won states in his Junior year, McDonagh did the same thing) he had 10 goals and 19 pts in 6 games. That's against the best Minnesota USHS teams.

Was that before or after his decision not to go into the US development program? And is that stat line up there with the best in Minnesota for that particular tourney over the years?

Thanks. Always very resourceful when it comes to US prospects (and others ofc). From what I gather, Jack was listed as 5'7" in 2016-17 and has grown roughly an inch per year. Possibly 6'0" in the end?

Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Was that before or after his decision not to go into the US development program? And is that stat line up there with the best in Minnesota for that particular tourney over the years?

Thanks. Always very resourceful when it comes to US prospects (and others ofc). From what I gather, Jack was listed as 5'7" in 2016-17 and has grown roughly an inch per year. Possibly 6'0" in the end?

i don't know when he turned down the USNDTP. His stat line oddly enough is the exact same for Biondi the only difference is that Smith had 10 pims and Biondi had just 4 pims. I don't know how those numbers rank historically. I used to watch a few Minnesota USHS games back when McDonagh was there and I had directv but haven't paid any attention in years.

6'0, 195 would be very solid for Smith if he could get to that frame over the next few years, say age 22ish.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
also I would add as I don't think it was posted but in the state tourny, the 2 Hab prospects advanced to face one another, Biondi's team won and advanced to the finals but lost. and I have to double check as the numbers i posted might be from the playoffs not states as i have seen other numbers but i've been really busy so i'm still working on getting up to speed on all this.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
also wanted to point out in the state tourny (his team won states in his Junior year, McDonagh did the same thing) he had 10 goals and 19 pts in 6 games. That's against the best Minnesota USHS teams.
These figures are why I think that he was a little underrated upon selection. Even if this is a lower league, they strike me a gaudy figures in a hockey-mad state like Minnesota. I like both him and Biondi. My irrational feeling is that at least one of the two may make the big team someday.

Hoping he injects a little more self-preservation into his game and stays off IR.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
These figures are why I think that he was a little underrated upon selection. Even if this is a lower league, they strike me a gaudy figures in a hockey-mad state like Minnesota. I like both him and Biondi. My irrational feeling is that at least one of the two may make the big team someday.

Hoping he injects a little more self-preservation in his game and stays of IR.

I still have some more Smith games to get through and then I will move on to Biondi next and then likely Tuch, but due to covid things are going to take longer since in a normal year we would be in July right now and I wouldn't have live prospect games to watch as well plus my work is slowest in July/Aug but tends to be busy this time of year to very busy Jan-May.

Biondi has that lower body strength in spades, big fan of players that have that but really impressed that he has it at 18 which is very good news. Smith missed a lot of time to injury and is injured again, i've heard knee this time, shoulder last season, so hopefully he's not injury prone as we have had enough bad luck with prospects losing key time to injury, we are due for some good years with limited time loss for development for a change.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Sioux Falls vs. Fargo Force in a preseason game about to start in a few minutes. Looks like Jack Smith is in the line-up at 2C:

Ek99jS4XEAApwuA

Reactions: Roadhouse

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
After one period, Fargo is up 2-0.

Smith looked okay. Nothing to write home about after watching him for the first time. Fargo is the better team so far and most of the time, Sioux Falls is in their zone. Although Smith's line seems to be the only one that has a sustained presence in the offensive zone.

His best play came when he saw a 2-on-1 forming for Fargo and as soon as he saw it, he skated back and caught up to them just as the pass was being made. He used his stick enough to where the receiver of the pass couldn't get a clear shot and he did enough to help thwart it.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Nice little give-and-go between Smith and his linemate. Smith with a nice one timer snap shot, but the Fargo goalie made a nice save.

Reactions: Treb

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Smith's looked pretty good in the second period. He just took the puck out of his own zone, got by one guy and then launched the transition. He then gets the puck from behind the Fargo net and drives it to the net.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Not sure if Smith will be in but the game will be free live streaming on FB

I think he's playing. The stream is someone filming it with his phone. Terrible quality.

I saw a #20 for Sioux Falls. But the video quality is terrible so I gave up on it.

Chose to watch Ruscheinski now and will tune in for Fairbrother when that game starts.

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
I think he's playing. The stream is someone filming it with his phone. Terrible quality.

I saw a #20 for Sioux Falls. But the video quality is terrible so I gave up on it.

Chose to watch Ruscheinski now and will tune in for Fairbrother when that game starts.
Ya brutal streaming ahahaha

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

Where are you watching Fairbrother?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad