Prospect Info: [2020 - 102nd] Jack Smith (NCAA - Minnesota-Duluth)

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Again.... why did we draft that player and in the fourth round ??!

Because they knew he was bad and wanted to do poorly with this pick.......why do NHL team's pick 90% of the players they pick? I am sure they knew Farrell was better but wanted to risk not getting him lol.

C'mon......

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Because they knew he was bad and wanted to do poorly with this pick.......why do NHL team's pick 90% of the players they pick? I am sure they knew Farrell was better but wanted to risk not getting him lol.

C'mon......

Smith was a reach. He was supposed to be draft in the 6th or 7th round. That's my problem.

2020 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #169 by NHL Central Scouting (but drafted # 102)

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Smith was a reach. He was supposed to be draft in the 6th or 7th round. That's my problem.

I wouldn't put too much stock into the NHL Central Scouting agency, they have hot takes too, but from what I remember Smith had one quality that Timmins always had a hard-on, above average athletic abilities, his skating is great. But like many times before, the downfall of Timmins hard-on is that their overall 'hockey' potential are tough to project.

Quite simple, if you want a top athlete, hire Timmins, if you want a top hockey player, hire someone else.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Central scouting ranks are meaningless and do not represent where a player "should" be drafted lol. There may be a ballpark element to these rankings early in the draft but for the later picks there is so little difference in the kids that it is a purely subjective excercise. Also, central scouting and other "scouting" organizations/publications are entirely staffed by "scouts" not deemed good enough to be hired by NHL teams so putting more emphasis on their rankings than NHL scouts is silly. These organizations/publications do not remotely perform as in depth evaluations as NHL teams with player interviews and combines and do not have the resources connections that NHL teams have to get a better understanding of the player's makeup from other coaches, players, scouts and management.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

he was injured in his Senior year but still put up insane stats, the injuries have not stopped, had he not been injured, imo he would have been a solid prospect for us. We'll see what impact missing all this development time has had on him over the next few years. I really like what I saw from him in the USHS but if you can't stay healthy......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad