WC: 2019 US Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
has Primeau been officially added to the team yet?
I guess not, definitely not registered in IIHF official rosters. Still hoping for Bishop? :D Kid is not gonna get any games anyway, but could be Demko’s backup for the rest of the tournament :laugh:

Has anyone noticed how badly Kaner seems disinterested? But why would he come If he doesn’t want be here.?

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
odd....you have to have 3 goalies on the roster, so not sure why he isn't added by now unless they were told by someone there is 2% chance they would come...and by someone it would have to be Bishop...but I would think that ship has sailed by now.
You CAN, it’s not obligatory to register 3, but I suppose Cayden will get that honourable mention on team roster at the end of the day.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I guess not, definitely not registered in IIHF official rosters. Still hoping for Bishop? :D Kid is not gonna get any games anyway, but could be Demko’s backup for the rest of the tournament :laugh:

Has anyone noticed how badly Kaner seems disinterested? But why would he come If he doesn’t want be here.?
Kane does not seem disinterested. I understand how it looks at times, but as someone who has watched him as a pro nearly every game since day 1 as a Hawk, this is just how he plays. He rarely plays with emotion on the ice, and if the chemistry isn't there or lines aren't gelling, he can look disinterested. IMO, he has thrown more body checks and hustled so far in this tourney more than I have seen from him all year..people just put too much pressure on Kane, he is cerebral and a silent assassin...he is not going to be a 200ft back checking monster, but once his sauce passes start clicking and his shots start going in, that notion fades. Again, I get how it looks, but this guy is passionate for hockey, he just holds himself different on the ice and only exerts himself in segments of the game.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
You CAN, it’s not obligatory to register 3, but I suppose Cayden will get that honourable mention on team roster at the end of the day.
I thought you had to roster 3 goalies in case of injuries..but either way, we know Primeau is there so they can add him at any point, just don't get what they are waiting for unless someone said possibly.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I thought you had to roster 3 goalies in case of injuries..but either way, we know Primeau is there so they can add him at any point, just don't get what they are waiting for unless someone said possibly.

No, you don't have to. you can register the 3rd. goalie at anytime in the tournament just like other roster spots up to the max 22 skaters 3 goalies.

I probably would register all 3 and get it over with. unless I had some info and a promise from my NT's true number 1 that if available he's on his way.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It's just odd that he had a change of heart after 30% of the tournament (if not more) is over, assuming Team USA plays for a medal. You'd think that would make him less likely to show up. Had he declined and changed his mind before the tournament started - a la Lee - that wouldn't have surprised me, but this is out of left field.

I'd guess that either Werenski is about to have a contract announced, although I can't imagine the Blue Jackets wouldn't announce that first, or his original decision was more about rest than the contract, and he was itching to play after a week off.

It's not that odd when you consider his best friend since he was 8 is Dylan Larkin. The group of four that hung out and were virtually inseparable at the program were Larkin, Werenski, Eichel and Hanifin. That was a click and the guys talk about it in interviews, Detroit seems to run something in the pre-game every time Buffalo, Columbus and now Calgary are in town with Larkin going to dinner and them talking about hockey with Fox Sports Detroit on hand. Those four are very close, it is likely the three that were there have been begging him to come and Larkin did come as an RFA. My guess is it took him a bit to secure his insurance plan to get over there once he was convinced by those three to come.

I know we are not off to the greatest start, but hopefully we peak later in the tournament this year anyway. Being the first legitimate World Championship gold since the 30's has to be enticing, there will be a few guys that regret sitting on their couch if that does come to pass. Good on Werenski to decide he doesn't want to be one of them.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
It's not that odd when you consider his best friend since he was 8 is Dylan Larkin. The group of four that hung out and were virtually inseparable at the program were Larkin, Werenski, Eichel and Hanifin. That was a click and the guys talk about it in interviews, Detroit seems to run something in the pre-game every time Buffalo, Columbus and now Calgary are in town with Larkin going to dinner and them talking about hockey with Fox Sports Detroit on hand. Those four are very close, it is likely the three that were there have been begging him to come and Larkin did come as an RFA. My guess is it took him a bit to secure his insurance plan to get over there once he was convinced by those three to come.

I know we are not off to the greatest start, but hopefully we peak later in the tournament this year anyway. Being the first legitimate World Championship gold since the 30's has to be enticing, there will be a few guys that regret sitting on their couch if that does come to pass. Good on Werenski to decide he doesn't want to be one of them.
in this instance, I applaud peer pressure!!!

REM17

Jul 21, 2010
Switzerland
Kane does not seem disinterested. I understand how it looks at times, but as someone who has watched him as a pro nearly every game since day 1 as a Hawk, this is just how he plays. He rarely plays with emotion on the ice, and if the chemistry isn't there or lines aren't gelling, he can look disinterested. IMO, he has thrown more body checks and hustled so far in this tourney more than I have seen from him all year..people just put too much pressure on Kane, he is cerebral and a silent assassin...he is not going to be a 200ft back checking monster, but once his sauce passes start clicking and his shots start going in, that notion fades. Again, I get how it looks, but this guy is passionate for hockey, he just holds himself different on the ice and only exerts himself in segments of the game.

I thought him and Hughes looked good in game one.

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

The fact that Werenski wants to play isn't odd. He's a pretty diehard USAH guy and as you point out, he has a ton of close friends on the team. I'm not suggesting that's odd. It's odd because he turned down the offer right after Columbus was eliminated, 3 days before the tournament started, and then 6 days later decided to join the team, after at least 30% of the tournament is over.

All his friends were already on the team when he was originally offered, already in his ear about playing. I'm not sure I buy the argument that Werenski got the offer on May 7th, wanted to play but gave up on the idea that same day due to insurance issues, and then cited two unrelated reasons on May 8th. Why would he continue pursuing insurance if he declined? If he didn't continue to pursue it, but then his friends finally convinced him to play, why was he able to quickly secure insurance on the second go around but not the first? If he did continue to pursue it, why would he have declined if he was still trying to get it to play? When he declined, he did so by "citing his status as a restricted free agent and the need to rest."

I just don't see the insurance angle as a reasonable argument right now. I think the most reasonable argument is the "need to rest" was the biggest driving force, and after he had a few days off sitting around resting, he probably realized he felt pretty good, decided he wanted to play more hockey, and contacted Drury. If you watch his exit interview, he talks a lot about his summer plans, wanting to rest, that he'll possibly turn on the NHL playoffs if he's just hanging out, etc. He doesn't sound like a guy pursuing insurance to possibly join the World Championships after just having told all these reporters the reasons he wasn't playing:

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
I actually would play with four pairings rather than having 13 forwards. But i guess Wolanin is playing his last game today if every defensemen stays healthy.

Daninja

May 7, 2013
Czech Republic
Can somebody please tell me what are the current power play lines? :)

If perhaps somebody has a link to a site that maintains such info about WC pp lines that would be even better - I tried the official IIHF site, but couldn't find it there.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
It’s should be Martinez who sits out, imo Wolanin has been ok so far. Since this team gets no additional support they should register Primeau, so if this team medal, he will be signed under it.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
It’s should be Martinez who sits out, imo Wolanin has been ok so far. Since this team gets no additional support they should register Primeau, so if this team medal, he will be signed under it.
Martinez has been playing on his off side, that is no easy task - and he hasn't been that good the past few years but need to give him some slack same with Hanifin for stepping up and playing RD for us.

Reactions: Nexon

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Brits are better than yesterday is showing. Everything went wrong yesterday BUT this was again embarrassing perfomance. IMO it is always worrying when team like this is not look great against weak opposition. If they play their best games against top opponents fine, but you also want to see much better effort in these games.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
By the way, Carolina on Life support, I hope Drury has been in touch with Pesce and Faulk.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I really hope Demko starts the rest of the way - my comfort level in him is very high, just poised and calm out there..never mind hahahahaha - GB scores as soon as I type this

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
I really hope Demko starts the rest of the way - my comfort level in him is very high, just poised and calm out there..never mind hahahahaha - GB scores as soon as I type this
You know we all wish the same, only to see Schneider allowing softies against Canada and QF :huh::laugh:

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Oh boy. Germans beat us if they defending like this against them. I know they bring full effort against Canada but games against Germany and Denmark could produce disaster. IMO Eichel has been best American forward in this tournament. Least he is trying out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad