WC: 2019 US Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Do we think J Hughes’s time is going to rise this weekend?

Played 13+14 the first two, then 9+11 the next two.

I really do think Jack needs to be with a skill guy or two but then again he’s behind two studs in Eichel and Larkin... and the tournament isnt about development (even if thats the case solely for Jack)

I think it depends on whether the team shows up for games they should win or if they no show like they did against Great Britain. If they show up ready to play, they should put Denmark away early and allow Blashill to spread out the ice time. It's probably less likely that they'll put away Germany early but as long as they're leading that one, he should be able to keep the ice time more evenly distributed. Part of the issue too is that they have 6 centers, so sometimes Hughes misses a shift here or there because Blashill will often (and understandably when you're dealing with a 17/18 year old) put out another center (Ryan, Glendening, White) on that line when it's a defensive zone start.

I think the Hughes line has looked less effective lately because it's the worst line combination on the team. JVR is not a fit for that line. He can't keep up with the play regardless of his linemates, let alone someone that skates like Hughes or Larkin or Eichel, and he's not much more than a net front presence on any line on big ice. Hughes and Keller are both water bugs and they need someone that can keep up but also do the dirty work as well, and JVR isn't any good at that either. I'd rather see a line like Kreider - Hughes - Vatrano, which I think would be really effective, but Blashill has seemed pretty content with his lines, so we'll see.

Other than more appropriate linemates, I think Hughes just needs one of his chances to fall because he's pressing a bit right now. He's had some bad luck (he's hit 1 or 2 posts, been robbed a couple of times, had one roll under the goalie and through the crease, and he's set up JVR for at least 3 tap in goals that he's missed, among other quality chances for his teammates and none have gone in), so getting something to fall would probably get the confidence going again.

Last edited:

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice

Last addition.

14th forward, he is going to gain some international hockey experience via the practice with the established NHL stars (I know, he already played some NHL games), good for him, but rather don't expect him to show up during the games. Maybe in one game (Denmark?), but definitely not in the QF, where I am almost sure the US team will advance.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
Did they even asked Faulk or Pesce? Doubt they made decision this quick.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Did they even asked Faulk or Pesce? Doubt they made decision this quick.

I'm sure they did considering Kunin has been available since Monday. If the plan was to just add Kunin he'd already be in Slovakia. They probably got the quick declines from Faulk, Pesce, and Slavin and then made it official with Kunin.

Kunin isn't a difference maker here but he's the type of guy that's going to show up and give it his all every shift and this team could use more of that given they've not bothered to show up for two games. I am curious if he'll even dress though. He's got a lot of close friends on the team, too.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I'm sure they did considering Kunin has been available since Monday. If the plan was to just add Kunin he'd already be in Slovakia. They probably got the quick declines from Faulk, Pesce, and Slavin and then made it official with Kunin.

Kunin isn't a difference maker here but he's the type of guy that's going to show up and give it his all every shift and this team could use more of that given they've not bothered to show up for two games. I am curious if he'll even dress though. He's got a lot of close friends on the team, too.
would have liked to see Jack Roslovic here as well, both he and Kunin would be burners in the bottom 6 with some skill..as you said, we waited as long as we could and good for Kunin for coming. he will be a good player down the road, just doubt he slots in anywhere ahead of the guys who are here as is..he should likely play over Glendening, but Blashill simply is not going to bench his guy.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
would have liked to see Jack Roslovic here as well, both he and Kunin would be burners in the bottom 6 with some skill..as you said, we waited as long as we could and good for Kunin for coming. he will be a good player down the road, just doubt he slots in anywhere ahead of the guys who are here as is..he should likely play over Glendening, but Blashill simply is not going to bench his guy.
When he had him over even Vatrano, who played great given his limited time on ice, he definitely won't bench him for AHL player, good for Kunín though, although many good players come just once into this tournament.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I don't really know what to make of this team. Very inconsistent.

Speaking from a Wings fan perspective - I don't think Larkin has played close to his ability thus far. And he's a big piece to the puzzle.

I think if he can pick up his game (and Eichel keeps dominating) we'll have a legitimate shot at Gold.

Not too concerned about the wingers. T

D is my other concern... they need to be smarter and more poised. Would have loved John Carlson out here but oh well.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
Speaking from a Wings fan perspective - I don't think Larkin has played close to his ability thus far. And he's a big piece to the puzzle.

I think if he can pick up his game (and Eichel keeps dominating) we'll have a legitimate shot at Gold.

Not too concerned about the wingers. T

D is my other concern... they need to be smarter and more poised. Would have loved John Carlson out here but oh well.
Looks more ready than ever :laugh:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't really care what these guys do on an off day. I can say for World Championship fans this kind of stuff being posted all over social media might keep guys from attending in the future so there is that...

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

Still no Werenski... Also Gaudreau is out which is pretty worrying. Hopefully guys are ready to play. Specially Jack:snide:

Yep, Gaudreau's awkward fall was no good. That could be the reason for Kunin.

The Werenski thing just continues to get odder. Why is it taking him so long to get there?

"Team USA’s roster will be bolstered over the weekend with the arrival later today (but not in time for today’s game) of forward Luke Kuninfrom the Minnesota Wild. Tomorrow (but not in time for its game vs. Germany), defenseman Zach Werenski from the Columbus Blue Jackets is expected to arrive in Kosice."

He's not going to be there in time for the Germany game either and Kunin will beat him to Slovakia. Werenski's addition is still the oddest one ever.

Reactions: SK94

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
I think first period was pretty good. Okay Nielsen was pretty bad but overall it was much better than GB game. Hughes also finally got his first point.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
They're lucky Schneider showed up to play early as the first two lines to open the game didn't and gifted Denmark a few quality chances early. Denmark was fairly quiet offensively after that, although they still had a couple random chances. Martinez and Skjei are struggling.

Colin White is a much better fit stylistically with JVR. That line had a good period.

Slick, slick pass by Jack Hughes to get his first point. Good for the kid.

Are Gord and Ray drunk? It's amazing how often they seem to not be following the play. The best example was when they were babbling on about Latvia scoring first in the other game, didn't see the Danish center get kicked out of the faceoff dot twice in a row resulting in a delay of game penalty, didn't notice Team USA immediately change due to the penalty, or that the faceoff was moved into the Danish zone, and when they finally realized the US had a PP, they assumed it was a puck over the glass penalty. Amateur hour.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
They're lucky Schneider showed up to play early as the first two lines to open the game didn't and gifted Denmark a few quality chances early. Denmark was fairly quiet offensively after that, although they still had a couple random chances. Martinez and Skjei are struggling.

Colin White is a much better fit stylistically with JVR. That line had a good period.

Slick, slick pass by Jack Hughes to get his first point. Good for the kid.

Are Gord and Ray drunk? It's amazing how often they seem to not be following the play. The best example was when they were babbling on about Latvia scoring first in the other game, didn't see the Danish center get kicked out of the faceoff dot twice in a row resulting in a delay of game penalty, didn't notice Team USA immediately change due to the penalty, or that the faceoff was moved into the Danish zone, and when they finally realized the US had a PP, they assumed it was a puck over the glass penalty. Amateur hour.

Yeah I went with their explanation because I was still half asleep making a bagel in my kitchen. Embarrassment for me for parroting what they said in the GDT. :laugh: They even said they shot it over the middle of the bench glass. Keep in mind these are the two guys that called the Sharks vs Knights game 7 and said don't make things up if you don't see it... To be fair though they are my favorite broadcast pair in hockey, they are going to make the occasional mistake still.

I am not real happy with this game still. They are giving up a lot of quality chances still. Schneider has been good though which would be a nice development as we approach the medal round. Still the amount of chances in the slot are pretty ridiculous. The offensive execution has been there up front at least.

Larkin needs to be a lot better, this is not the guy we watched all season in Detroit. We really need him to elevate his play for the medal round, I know he can be better to pick one guy as an example in terms of he has several higher levels to his game.

Last edited:
Reactions: William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Really choppy game. One of those games where we're really sloppy shift to shift. We're not shooting the puck very much but hard to argue when you're burying the chances you create. We're still really sloppy defensively, giving up too many chances. Schneider's been good though, so hopefully gets his confidence going a bit. While we're not going to get the RHD we need, hopefully when Werenski shows up eventually it will force new defensive pairs and maybe generate some improved chemistry there.

Colin White has been fantastic. He's just so smart, does everything so well. Ottawa fans have to be excited about him going forward. Nice to see him getting more ice time, he deserves it and hopefully it continues as the games get more important.

Hopefully Larkin getting a goal gets him going but he just looks off. It's not even really about points, he's just not consistently flying around the ice like you're used to seeing with him.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Even Larkin came i guess he is still bit banged up. There was some talk about his injury status before tournament. Least QF is pretty sure now.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Larkin is having a very similar tournament to Johnny Hockey last year. He just looks so frustrated and not like the guy I have seen all season long. Tough tournament thus far, really surprising given how much he loves playing for this team. Really hope he can get this thing back on the rails, heck he looks more frustrated here than for huge portions of the year when he played for a very bad Detroit team that he pretty much willed out of the bottom three in the league.

Not sure if he is still banged up, but frankly he was on a line that was on fire while still banged up to close the season in Detroit, so I know he can still play better than he has in this tournament. Guy competes so hard I will never give up on him, but we cannot achieve what we hope as a group unless he finds a better level closer to where he usually plays at.

Reactions: William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Good to see Eichel bury one. He could easily be up near the tournament goal scoring leaders with any luck. He's been great here, so I'm sure it feels good to have one go in.

Jack Hughes can't buy a break. Puck on his stick with an empty net and he bobbles it.

Let's hope Canada plays a really physical game against Germany and wears them down for tomorrow's matchup. If Slovakia wins out (Great Britain, Denmark), we need at least 2 points in our last 2 games to clinch a QF spot over Slovakia.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Even Larkin came i guess he is still bit banged up. There was some talk about his injury status before tournament. Least QF is pretty sure now.

QF is not a guarantee.

Slovakia is favored in their last two games (Great Britain, Denmark), which means they could/should finish with 12 points and they have the tiebreaker over us head-to-head.

We're at 11 points right now, so we need at least 2 points in our last 2 games to guarantee our spot. Beat Germany in any fashion and we're in for sure. If not, we may need points against Canada to move on.

Hopefully the team shows up tomorrow with the type of urgency the game deserves. If they do that, they should be fine. A real shame that Werenski still won't be here for the game. 3 games will have passed since he was announced and one of them is a huge game.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Really choppy game. One of those games where we're really sloppy shift to shift. We're not shooting the puck very much but hard to argue when you're burying the chances you create. We're still really sloppy defensively, giving up too many chances. Schneider's been good though, so hopefully gets his confidence going a bit. While we're not going to get the RHD we need, hopefully when Werenski shows up eventually it will force new defensive pairs and maybe generate some improved chemistry there.

Colin White has been fantastic. He's just so smart, does everything so well. Ottawa fans have to be excited about him going forward. Nice to see him getting more ice time, he deserves it and hopefully it continues as the games get more important.

Hopefully Larkin getting a goal gets him going but he just looks off. It's not even really about points, he's just not consistently flying around the ice like you're used to seeing with him.
Good to hear,he is just a good all around player...We think we have a really good number 2 center developing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad