WC: 2019 US Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Surely Troy terry? He’s been doing very well for Anaheim who almost certainly won’t make the playoffs and is already an American hero

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Surely Troy terry? He’s been doing very well for Anaheim who almost certainly won’t make the playoffs and is already an American hero

He may be unavailable due to AHL playoffs. WC starts about a month after the AHL playoffs start though, so San Diego would have to advance pretty far for Terry to not be available.

Reactions: Xokkeu

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
would have to imagine Cory Schneider might come with the year he had - he missed a lot of time and is just now starting to bounce back and play decent. would take him in a heartbeat knowing what we usually get.

Schneider and Campbell seems realistic???

Craig Anderson is a UFA so he would be a no.,...
Jimmy Howard is a UFA so he would be a no...
John Gibson missed some time as well, I would love to see him here just have my doubts with him and the rough year they had.
Jon Quick - see Gibson above - all of these guys "should" be here and could use more work after they season they have had...just doubt it we get 1 of these

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
It's hard to imagine Schneider playing. He's come to this tournament once, back when he was in college. He's been perpetually available and never bothers to show up for USAH despite the opportunities they gave him as a teenager.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
It's hard to imagine Schneider playing. He's come to this tournament once, back when he was in college. He's been perpetually available and never bothers to show up for USAH despite the opportunities they gave him as a teenager.
Schneider might be fighting for his NHL life next year - funny how some of these guys show up when they need to play more hockey/gain more visibility. I say 50-50 he comes, we have seen other vet goalies show up in the past as well.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Jack Campbell I would imagine comes, signed next year and hasn't played a ton either. Would prefer him as a #2, but unless Gibson surprises the world or what was discussed above with Schneider, might be the best we get.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Schneider might be fighting for his NHL life next year - funny how some of these guys show up when they need to play more hockey/gain more visibility. I say 50-50 he comes, we have seen other vet goalies show up in the past as well.

Maybe, I just don't think he gives a damn about representing his country. Most of the vet goalies we've seen show up have either been backups or journeymen (i.e. Kinkaid, Esche, Montoya, etc.). The only player I think would closely resemble a vet that's had an established ride as a #1 goalie but is now fighting for his NHL life would be Tim Thomas, who showed up after he miserably failed trying to resurrect the hockey career he himself torpedoed. But even Thomas had a long history representing Team USA, especially at the WCs, which is why it wasn't surprising he showed up to play.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Maybe, I just don't think he gives a damn about representing his country. Most of the vet goalies we've seen show up have either been backups or journeymen (i.e. Kinkaid, Esche, Montoya, etc.). The only player I think would closely resemble a vet that's had an established ride as a #1 goalie but is now fighting for his NHL life would be Tim Thomas, who showed up after he miserably failed trying to resurrect the hockey career he himself torpedoed. But even Thomas had a long history representing Team USA, especially at the WCs, which is why it was surprising he showed up to play.
we will see. like you said Thomas showed up as well so I have some hope Schneider does the same thing. he has missed so much time and is no longer a #1 there so there is hope!

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Maybe, I just don't think he gives a damn about representing his country. Most of the vet goalies we've seen show up have either been backups or journeymen (i.e. Kinkaid, Esche, Montoya, etc.). The only player I think would closely resemble a vet that's had an established ride as a #1 goalie but is now fighting for his NHL life would be Tim Thomas, who showed up after he miserably failed trying to resurrect the hockey career he himself torpedoed. But even Thomas had a long history representing Team USA, especially at the WCs, which is why it wasn't surprising he showed up to play.

Jimmy Howard has gone twice as an established #1 in the league. I am curious if Larkin could talk him into going this year. Though he is struggling down the stretch he has been pretty solid for a lot of the year.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Jimmy Howard has gone twice as an established #1 in the league. I am curious if Larkin could talk him into going this year. Though he is struggling down the stretch he has been pretty solid for a lot of the year.

I meant more as a goalie that was a #1 and was now fighting to stay in the NHL to fit AD's premise. I'd certainly expect Howard to be a more likely Target for the actual WC team.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
For the Rangers, I could see Kreider, Vesey, DeAngelo and Skjei making this team. Kreider, DeAngelo and Skjei should all be there. Vesey has been average this season, which is good for how he normally plays, so he wouldn’t be a bad bottom line player for this team. Shattenkirk and Pionk aren’t good enough right now to make this team.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
so as it stands right now, this could be a very realistic group of players coming:

Chris Kreider - Jack Eichel - Brock Boeser
Alex Debrincat - Dylan Larkin - Patrick Kane
Brady Tkachuk - Vincent Trocheck - Kyle Palmieri
Ryan Donato - Jack Hughes - Blake Coleman
J.T Compher/Casey Mittelstadt/Colin White/Frank Vatrano

Shayne Gostisbehere - Cam Fowler
Keith Yandle - Connor Murphy
Quinn Hughes - Tony DeAngelo
Will Butcher/Brady Skjei

Cory Schneider
Jack Campbell
Thatcher Demko

obviously all these names will not come, but many are very realistic chances to come play.

if the Hawks miss the playoffs, I doubt Kane would come again, but who knows, he had a great time and was a part of a talented group of forwards. Connor Murphy had back surgery and missed the start of the season, and with as many times as he has answered the call he might say no, and rightfully so.

Trocheck has historically said no, but he had a baby over the summer last year, maybe...maybe he says yes after missing so much of the season with his leg injury.

Yandle is like Trocheck with not coming, but maybe he will come just once again if his buddy comes too.

Larkin and Kreider came last year, hopefully they enjoyed it a ton and come back - both would wear letters for me if they decided to.

offensively this team is scary deep, with many of those names young and skilled guys who likely will come. defense we thin out as many of our top young guys are on playoff teams. we have discussed the goalie situation, Quick would be a major get here, and honestly might come with the amount of games he missed and shitty year he had - Jimmy Howard is a UFA so that is a no,.

Last edited:
Reactions: SanDogBrewin

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
would have to imagine Cory Schneider might come with the year he had - he missed a lot of time and is just now starting to bounce back and play decent. would take him in a heartbeat knowing what we usually get.

Schneider and Campbell seems realistic???

Craig Anderson is a UFA so he would be a no.,...
Jimmy Howard is a UFA so he would be a no...
John Gibson missed some time as well, I would love to see him here just have my doubts with him and the rough year they had.
Jon Quick - see Gibson above - all of these guys "should" be here and could use more work after they season they have had...just doubt it we get 1 of these

Looks like Howard is working on an extension with Detroit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad